iPad No multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by digitalove, Aug 26, 2014.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

Some months ago it was highly suggested that a multitasking feature for iOS 8 on the iPad would be implemented.

We are about to hit the GM of iOS 8 and the betas didn't show any sign of multitasking (?)

Do you think we will have this function?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You mean having two apps on the screen at the same time?

Mark Gurman of 9to5 Mac first reported this feature. As it stands, it sounds like this feature, along with a few others, were delayed and will not be released with the first release of iOS 8. Rather, it will come either in an 8.1 update, or perhaps (but less likely) pushed back until iOS 9.

Code hinting at this feature has already been found in the iOS 8 betas, so it looks like it's coming sooner or later.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

We already have "multitasking" in the usual computer sense. We just don't have UI to have both apps on screen together. But it's trivial to swipe back and forth.

4. Vision99 macrumors newbie

The screen really is not big enough for more than one app open.So no idea why people keep getting worked up over it.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not in the way that the OP is talking about it.

7. Altis macrumors 68020

I think it's more about the user multitasking, not just the computer. ;)

A task switcher hardly qualifies as multitasking. :rolleyes:

You cannot use more than one app at a time. You can go between them, and even that can be brutal with some apps refreshing frequently when doing this.

You're probably right about the screen size, but people are worked up over it because we've been multitasking on computers for 20 years. I like to think Apple can make something work by its fifth generation of iPads.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

The OP is using the term incorrectly. We all know what he means.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I was hoping it will be their big feature to announce with the new iPads.

10. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

Do you call switching between apps multitasking?

Multitask = the ability to do several things at the same time.

Thanks for the others answers, those code hints mean something

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would love to be able to do multitasking through the use of an AirPlay screen. Especially if I could slave a computer monitor to it.

I would even more like to slave an iPad screen to one of my computers, however that's more off topic.

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's also trivial to have everything reload constantly. Suspending an app, and hoping beyond hope that it's still there when you return is not really multitasking.

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Too true. That's why the next generation of iOS devices will have 12 GB of RAM. OK, maybe not. But hopefully 2 GB.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Having used Quasar on my Jailbroken iPad 2, I disagree with you. Two landscape windows on portrait orientation worked great. It also worked fine with 512MB RAM, so claims of the iPad not being powerful enough are also incorrect.

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I didn't think I would care about this type of feature, but I run into more uses for multitasking all the time. I like to Airplay video to my AppleTV, but when I check email it stops playing. Not ideal.

When I have Spotify pulled up playing music, I like to also have AllMusic app open looking for reviews and albums I should try out. However, I have to go back and forth between them and refreshing means I will often lose my place. I would rather have both open on the screen at the same time.

Also, it would be cool to be able to have Rowmote HD up at the same time as my Roomie Remote app. Switching back and forth sometimes means that the Rowmote has to reconnect to the Mac.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Which app is this? I have a few third party video apps I use to AirPlay videos to my AppleTV, and they work fine when backgrounded.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

90% of the users don't understand what you are talking about, and 99% of users don't actually care.

In reality, your music app plays music in the background, your GPS app checks its location in the background, your mail app downloads mail in the background, all apps download or upload things in the background and receive push notifications in the background, all apps continue printing when in the background, and so on. On the other hand, your games apps _stop_ when they are in the background (as they should because you don't want to lose a battle just because the phone rings), so everything works just as most people want it.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It's more than big enough. I open two apps on my Samsung galaxy S5 all the time so the iPad is. If enough.

19. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Examples of split-screen user multitasking that I would like to see on iPads:

While on a Facetime call, view emails, contacts, Safari, while view of other Facetime caller is still in front (and moveable).

Emails and Contacts apps side-by-side

Safari and just about any app side-by-side, so Safari doesn't refresh behind the scenes and I can copy/cut/paste and lookup information easily.

20. Uofmtiger, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

The last time I checked...Lynda app, kelbyone app, Slingbox app. I am sure there are others. I will look at it when I get home. Some of these I haven't tried running in the background in a few months, but I would be surprised if they were fixed.

Edit: I tried two of the apps when I got home and they both run in the background now. It is obviously an issue that has been or can be resolved by the developer.

As a result, multitasking isn't on my list of top priorities.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Most people don't know a better way exists until you show them the better way.

22. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I replaced my iPad 1 with a Windows 8.1 tablet about a year ago. The split-screen feature is really convenient. Don't knock until you've tried it.

23. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

If the 1GB of RAM is adequate, and they introduce it to the Air and not the RMini, I will be extremely mad. People will say, "Well, the air is already not even that big for split screen multitasking". 1, they are competing with companies that have this feature on 5 inch smartphones... 2, During the introduction of the retina mini and the air, and how the mini had the A7, and how they said something along the lines of "people shouldn't have to compromise if they want portability", it would all just contradict their entire justification for giving the Retina Mini the A7 chip.

I know this whole post was a wreck and hard to decipher, but I sort of am tired and all my thoughts are coming out at once. I apologize. Hopefully my point somewhat got across?

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I cannot imagine that Apple would release the iPad Mini with an A8 processor and 1GB RAM if the Air has 2GB. Because as soon as Apple releases a device with 2GB RAM, a developer will make an app that requires 2GB to run properly. And then it won't run properly on the Mini, despite having comparably powerful hardware.

That's just pointless product fragmentation.

Of course, the alternative is that Apple don't properly update the Mini this year. And then I, and many, many others, will be very disappointed.

25. cababah macrumors 68000

A developer that makes an app that only works on one iOS device is not a wise developer. The more devices that can run their app, the more $ they make.