No notification sound on the new iPhone Facebook App

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mattis, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mattis macrumors newbie

Hi, long time lurker here.

A very strange problem has occurred on my girlfriends iPhone 4 since updating to the latest Facebook app (5.0). When the app send her notifications there's no sound. There's vibrate, the screen turns on and the message is shown.

Obviously, I proceeded troubleshooting.

* Checked the silent mode switch.
    * Checked notification settings in the iPhone settings.
    * Restarted the app.
    * Restarted the iPhone.
    * Performed a hard reset on the iPhone.
    * Checked for app updates.
    * Removed the app and downloaded it again.
    * Checked her Facebook settings.
    * Checked other applications (like whatsapp) and yes, their notifications have sound.
    * Messed around with the headphones while in the facebook app, still no sound.
    * Logged in to my account on her iPhone (same app), and what the hell - there's sound! It works on the same exact environment but with my account!

Now I'm suspecting either her Facebook settings (on the webpage) being wrong or the settings saved by the iPhone (under her Facebook user) faulty.

* Matched every setting on her Facebook account to my own - and they are setup exactly the same.
    * Full reset and restore of her iPhone in iTunes.
    * Removed the app from both the iPhone and iTunes (hoping that would truly clear all Facebook app data) and then re-downloaded the app.
    * We even (because of some forum post) deactivated her Facebook account and then reactivated it again, thinking it might fix some erroneous setting.

None of the above works.

The last step is to completely clear her iPhone, but she does not want to loose all contacts and photos and whatnot. Yes, they can be put back, but it seems like a lot of work right now.

I'm at a loss. I can't figure out what to do. The notification sound is important to her. Should I post this on some kind of Facebook help page?

Thankful for any input in this issue.

2. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Having the same issue. Just started happening today out of the blue. Haven't changed any settings either. Think this is a problem on Facebook's end. It's weird. Happening on both iPhone and iPad.

Still getting sounds from the Facebook messenger app.

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I don't even get notifications anymore. Just one day they stopped pushing through.

4. brianmullanl macrumors newbie

Just started happening today out of the blue.[​IMG]

5. mattis thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, good to know that we're not alone in this misery :) I sent a "bug report" to Facebook, but their systems for contacting them is not the best.

Happy for any other ideas the internet collective might have.

6. Finz72 macrumors regular

My wife and I are having the same issue. Just started 2 days ago after working fine. No changes on the devices. Notified Facebook, no response. This seems to be a common issue. Makes the Facebook mobile experience suck.

7. djwaszmer macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I've been having the same issue for the past couple days. It's definitely a Facebook issue.

8. Wtfispooh macrumors newbie

Ago glad to finally start seeing people with this problem. I have been going thru this for three day now. I have done everything even the complete wipe and it has done nothing. However I have came up with a conclusion. It is not the Facebook app. Well not the app alone. I am fully positive that it is also IOS 5.1.1. I think it hates Facebook all of a sudden. I was able to come up with this solution when I was able to extract an older version of Facebook from one of my itune saves. I am currently running Facebook 3.1.2... Even with an older version of the Facebook app I am still not gettin sound.

9. Finz72 macrumors regular

It definitely can be the issue. I just don't know why it would work one minute and not the next. I didn't change the version of ios.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I was on ios 5.1 when it started having those issues. I put ios 6 on there, same thing. I tried everything. And nothing. Its weird.

11. mattis thread starter macrumors newbie

12. jon08 macrumors 68000

Same here... Suddenly started experiencing it a couple of days ago --- I get the notification, but no sound or even vibration whatsoever.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Well at least some of you are getting notifications without sound. Mine has gone to no notifications at all!!! So i have to keep checking periodically if anyone responded to something i posted etc. It doesn't even do the thing where it usually shows like 1 or 2 or whatever on the app to show you how many notifications you have. So i dunno.

14. stepover0 macrumors newbie

hiii

At my iPhone their has same issue. I have not a more knowledge about iphone than I am going near I Store. They solve our problems.

15. liquidlink macrumors member

I have been having this problem since Saturday when I had my iPhone replaced. Worked great on my other iphone. Upgraded to iOS6 today and still have the problem. No Sound on the notifications.

16. mattis thread starter macrumors newbie

Facebook just released a new update (5.0.1). Tested and still no sound for notifications.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'm still not getting any notifications. Sound or visual.

18. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Glad I'm not the only one. Same "no sound" problem.

19. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

It's gotta be on Facebooks end. Just fired up a new phone with a fresh install of iOS 6 and fresh install of the Facebook app. Still no sound.....

20. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

It has to be facebook. I just fired up my iphone 5 downloaded facebook, and i get the actual notification. But no sound. So it has to be that app. Or a combination of ios 6 and facebook.

21. kevin738 macrumors member

Having the same issues. Also got the new i5 and still having issue on new phone that was not restored. So it's got to be a Facebook issue.

22. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Is there any way to notify Facebook about this?

23. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

This seems to be only effecting certain ppl. There are ppl on other forums who have let friends and family login from their phone, and the notifications come through fine. Once they try their login again, the sound doesn't come through. So it only seems to be effecting certain ppl. Plus there are other ppl i know who swear they get their notifications, and sound just fine. So i have no idea, cause i made no changes to my account.

24. bkb1777 macrumors newbie

bkb1777

Mine quit working yesterday as did my two roommates. I was freaking out cause I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and they have 4S's. Seems to be an issue effecting everyone.

25. dspalton macrumors 6502a

I think I can live without Facebook notifications
    :D