No One Buying Older 15" Unibodys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neteng101, Jun 29, 2009.

1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Just wondering if I missed anything - I have a 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 9600GT 512MB on order - with the blowout prices at Macmall, its cheaper than the latest ones and $1,000 less than the original price it used to go for.

Discrete graphics, ExpressCard slot, access to HDD/battery all are big factors in favor of the older model IMO... I'm on battery for standby power not long travel times, so battery is not a big factor, and the color I've seen in the MBP is totally fine by me... SD card slot, you can get an ExpressCard adapter that reads multiple cards, but the slot also allows for other things to go in.

I've been waiting a long while and the price is finally right with the right specs... am I missing out on anything much here? :confused:

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if the old model could take the new batteries, that would seem to be perfect:D

3. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

That's the exact same model I got for $1000 off at the refurb store, and couldn't be happier. It's a great computer for a great deal.

Some people just have to have the latest, though.

4. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

A lot of us jumped on the refurb 2.53 15" MBP's from the Apple Refurb store for $1449 before they went out of stock. :D

I'm loving the updated brighter screen (from my late '06 17" MBP), four GB of 1067 MHz RAM, and the multi-touch trackpad. I jumped on the refurb because I wanted the expresscard slot and non-integrated battery.

Plus, I just couldn't pass up such a fantastic chance to upgrade my stable at such a discounted price.

;)

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I remember when the prospect of moving the new battery to all notebooks was completely scandalous.

I personally think they are great, but if I was looking for a 15" with discrete graphics, but didn't need the fastest of fastest processors, I would totally look at an older model and buy an additional battery.

EDIT: Something you forgot was the new ones go up to 8 gigs of memory.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

"How long will Apple keep making batteries for the replaceable-battery models?"

THAT is the defining question.

7. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

Longer than any of us will want to be using our laptops with removable batteries. ;)

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the older model is a great deal. Some people just like to have the newest though.

9. Tim018 macrumors regular

love mine...

i bought mine from the apple refurb store for $1449. i jumped on the deal as quick as i could, love it so far! (actually its my first mac, the only thing that was keeping me back from buying a mac was price, that deal solved the problem)

if you can get your hands on one i could definitely recommend!

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They still make batteries for the iBook, 12" PB G4, and 17" PB G4.

So my guess is...a long time.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

'Make' or 'have left over'?

12. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

As long as replacement batteries are available for a good long time, what's the difference?

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I just ordered a 2.4 15" refurb :) my total was $1450 so buying 2.53 at $1650 was a little too much but I can upgrade the internals later and I don't think I'll notice a 0.13 Ghz if I add 4Gb of ram, anyone know if they'll able to go up to 6 to 8gb?

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Apple isn't stupid .. they're making some sort of profit on them, so why stop? They probably only create them as needed, as a battery sitting around isn't a good thing ...

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I bought a previous gen 2.66 at a nice discount

16. anthonyramos84 macrumors newbie

anthonyramos84

The March 2.66 and 2.8 MBPs can go up to 8GB like the newer ones. So there isn't a problem there. :)

17. palane macrumors member

I'd argue the defining question is how long will anyone keep making batteries for the older uMBP. You can still find batteries for the 12" PowerBook from Newer Tech.

BB

18. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm using that exact model. Got it as a refurb. Love it.

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We have the BEST MacBook Pro's made ......

Supremely versatile --- Express Card Slot

USER Replaceable Batteries ( I can go for more than 15 hours without AC power )

Thank god I got mine when I did, lest I be stuck buying the castrated version with the non-replaceable battery and wimpy SD card reader ! ! ! !

:D :D :D :D :D

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It's easier to find a battery for the old 12" Powerbook than it is to find the Powerbook itself! ;)

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The first unibody's MBP's can go up to 8Gb I thought, it was the MB's that could not.

I could be wrong and am not going to check, but the only increase in memory is the 13" unibody changing from MB to MBP and going from 4Gb to 8Gb.

22. neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought all the unibody MBPs could go to 8GB, just that it wasn't supported initially, and 6GB seems to be the limit on Leopard, so 8GB once Snow Leopard is released?

Not in a hurry to get that much RAM though - going to wait, upgrade to SSD first when prices drop, or if I could get a good ExpressCard SSD (the FileMate one seems to have heat issues?). 4GB RAM chips are hugely expensive right now.

Appreciate the feedback - just wondering if I was alone in wanting to pick up the older but better in some regards to me model. My last personal Mac, was PowerBook Duo 210!

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Don't you mean 2.66 and 2.93?...basically the revision before the current line. Anything earlier all the way back to early 08 models are capped at 6GB, regardless of Leopard/Snow Leopard IIRC

24. cube macrumors G4

A lot of people are buying the prev gen because the new ones are a downgrade in functionality.

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

+1