iPad No perceivable performance difference between iPad 4 and Air.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by klover, Nov 1, 2013.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

I'm using an Air and iPad 4 side-by-side (both running 7.0.3) and I'm seeing the exact same issues on both devices:

1. Stuttering on home screen when using gesture controls.
    2. Wallpaper selection screen stutters/lags when scrolling through wallpaper options.
    3. Still takes an oddly long time to set wallpaper.

With the x2 CPU upgrade and improved GPU benchmarks, I really expected a much smoother experience. In all honesty, I see no difference in the UI fluidity.

The weight, form, etc. are all quite good but I'm disappointed with the A7 (or maybe iOS7...not sure).

2. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

It is just hype and you fell for it. Good for you!

3. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anandtech's review clearly showed significant CPU and GPU improvements; I based my expectations on that data, not an Apple ad.

4. cardfan macrumors 65816

5. tx26257 macrumors member

I am on air and I don't have any of the issues you mentioned. I just tried to recreate your issues and couldn't. Did you set up as a new iPad or from backup. Not sure if that would even matter.

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

cool. 3 things that no one ever does

i haven't changed the wallpaper on my 3 for 2 years

7. Jryan93 macrumors newbie

8. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Setup as new, no iCloud use, no Siri. Might just do a DFU restore and see if that helps.

9. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Maybe you should set up as new. Maybe you have old 'cobwebs' lurking around the OS

10. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird, it's almost as if different people use devices differently.
    Do you have an Air that doesn't do what I'm seeing?

How about keyboard lag? That's a pretty common use unless you never type.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

My new iPad Air is way faster than my iPad 4th Gen. One task of many which the Air does far quicker is set a wallpaper picture. The 4th Gen seems to take an age to do this.

12. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Between this, and the other thread where people are saying the screen feels plasticy, I am confirmed in my desire to hold on to my iPad 4 and wait to see what the mini retina is like. Thanks for this!

13. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

It may just be my device as others don't seem to have this issue. I do notice that screen rotations (portrait to landscape) are smooth whereas the iPad 4 would stutter. So there is an improvement in fluidity there.

Screen definitely feels like plastic despite the fact it's just much thinner glass (a la mini) - touch responsiveness is still excellent though.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I think you should see it for yourself. Dont trust what someone says. Trust yourself.

15. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

I'm going to wait until after the holidays when both the mini and the air are readily available and I can play with both. I used a mini for a while and like the form factor and the portability. For what I use it for the 4 is a great ipad for the time being.

16. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My Mini screen felt quite plastic compared to the iPad 4, but it is much thinner. I don't even notice it one bit now, so hang in. Apple gave specific thinness dimensions regarding the screen during their October event, and I was expecting it to feel the same as the Mini.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

not everything is about the CPU and GPU

at this point the only thing better on the Air are some games once they get updated. even then you won't see much difference until software is designed with the A7 in mind which is 18-24 months away

18. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

It's due to iOS 7. It still needs some ironing and bug fixing. It will be improved.

19. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

The fastest CPU in the world won't matter if the system has to fetch from the flash memory to display the home screen icons.

I was surprised that the simple act of pulling down the search bar still stutters as with my iPad 4. I agree that, on the home screen, the speed feels the same. Safari definitely is faster in reloading and rendering web pages, though.

I also agree that the screen feels much thinner. Typing on the 4 felt solid and made a low thump sound. Typing on this screen is more of a clicking tap.

20. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, you've got specific symptoms on two separate pads, neither of whom often behave like that for others. Sounds less like HW and more like some problem that got ported over.

Wipe out the 5, see if it goes away. If so, consider importing less. Once that is sorted, wipe out the 4 and test it as well.

21. calvol macrumors 6502a

22. 007p macrumors 6502a

As everyone has been saying, those sound like software issues not hardware related issues. Its not like the new ipads came out with 7.1, so why were expecting software issues to suddenly be fixed?

23. syd430 Guest

We're at the stage where animations and other UI elements deliberately throttled across the board rather than limited by hardware. To see the A7's true capabilities would require you to put it under heavy load such as intensive gaming or video editing. Exactly the kind of stuff most people don't use their tablet for. Hence why there's little benefit of the A7 over the A6 for the average consumer, and shouldn't be a selling point for most people.

24. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

25. DFZD macrumors regular

iPad performance would be improved with later upgrades, its evident that they have dedicated there updates to iPhones so far. For now, please turn on 'Reduce Motion' and Turn off 'Background App Refresh' if possible.