iPad No Pro, no Splitscreen? iPad Air 2 is a loser

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macmee, Oct 16, 2014.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I don't even care about 2gb of ram if I'm stuck in fullscreen land 24/7.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Yeah, they probably won't sell more than a couple of these losers

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I can't believe they didn't have any exclusive features besides touchID for the iPad air 2.

4. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Even looking at the 5k iMac, it has a 5k monitor but then only 8gb of ram and no SSD. Have they lost their minds? It's $2500, and it hardly would of cost them more to put an SSD into the damn thing.

Apple is so miserably out of touch with reality here.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

it has fusion drive standard so technically it does have an ssd

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Because it certainly couldn't be added in the future by a software update. Nope, it's not there now, what a forever loser.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

At $2500 that thing is priced really freaking competitively for having a 5K display.

8. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

The 5k is great but not very useful if the hardware is lacking.

I'm not going to wait 5 months for their update if I can buy a different product that has what I want right now lol.

9. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Right it is priced competitively and that is because they skimped out on the rest of the specs. People will buy it because its 5K but if what the other people said is right that it only has 8GB ram and no SSD then yeah its behind, I have a pc with 12GB ram and a SSD from last year that runs fast as hell. idk why they cant include more than only one new feature like the 5k but no ssd.

10. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Go ahead, one less person to compete with during preorders tomorrow :)

11. Nee412 macrumors 6502

It has a 1TB 7200rpm drive and 128GB PCIe Flash Drive rolled into one.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

You have your choice of a 1TB Fusion Drive or a 256GB SSD. So I really don't get what the problem is.

The RAM I kinda get, but assuming nothing has changed that's going to be user replaceable anyway.

13. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I had a Note 3. Of all the useless features, split screen ranked near the top.

14. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

As iPad sales have already been slumping due to a lack of improvements already, you wouldn't have to contend with outrageous lineups in the first place :)

That makes it abit more tempting, but even so. The $2400 macbook pro retina has a 512gb ssd. Why not make that the base for the iMac.

15. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

The whole tablet phase is going away. Phones are so big people don't need a tablet along with their 6 inch phone.

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Very true. And when the phone gets to be 12" tablets will be completely gone.

:D

17. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

What's going away is distinguishing between the two. It's no longer phone or tablet, it's just iOS device. And you pick what size you want - 4, 4.7, 5.5, 7.9, 9.7. They have all the sizes you could want covered and they all mostly do the same thing. Apps will scale as appropriate.

18. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I won't call it a "loser", but a lot of imperative features and specs were pretty much left out.

I wouldn't be surprised if split screen mode is one of the huge features of iOS 9, though.

19. Tanamerra macrumors newbie

Too little, too much

Not enough for me to update. Too little for too much.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

How is that comparable to a 10" iPad? I'm not saying split-screen multitasking is amazing/necessary but it's definitely two different experiences with a 5.5" Note (whatever the size is) and a 9.8" screen.

21. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Not at all. Tablets are still going to be around.

The reason tablet sales have started to drop off aren't because people don't want them anymore, but because people are starting to treat them like computers, and rather than replace their tablet every year, they do it every few years, like you would with a standard computer.

For example I'm not going to replace my iPad probably till the iPad Air 4 or even 5.

Ehh, you can get a 27" 4K display for sub-$1000 and a graphics card able to output 4K for relatively cheap, so for straight up media consumption not really, but otherwise, absolutely.

22. matttye macrumors 601

I've seen so many people say their iPad Air is perfect, and this new one is 2 1/2 times faster at graphics.. it's a loser alright :rolleyes:

Fairly confident it will have 2GB RAM as well.

23. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

To be fair, for $1000 you'd only get a TN panel at 4k. Still a beautiful display, but Apple's is probably better.

Still, not justification to get this iMac. The display is great but they put the worst possible other hardware in the thing.

24. urda Suspended

urda

Yeah I bet they only sell a dozen, maybe two dozen! :D

Next up, we'll get your advice on great stock market selections and investments!

25. 007p macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to the ipad pro coming out alongside the apple watch and 8.2 in March.

Why put 2gb of RAM in and not really take advantage of it? Safari tabs is hardly a reason to. Splitscreen must be coming soon, I just don't get why they haven't announced it yet :/

It would have been a much better selling point than the ipad camera - I mean really...it's a tablet and it's got a worse camera than the iphone 6. Why was this the main focus of the ipad part - aside from being thinner - did they mention battery life ? Presume it's the same?