No Retina MacBook Air Introduction Planned for Apple's October 16 Media Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With rumors of a new 12-inch Retina MacBook Air circulating in recent months and the latest reports suggesting small-scale production has already begun, many have been wondering about Apple's plans for introducing the product. According to a new report from Re/code, the Retina MacBook Air will not be unveiled at this Thursday's media event.

[​IMG]
    In line with previous rumors, the report claims Thursday's event will focus on new iPads, Retina iMacs, and OS X Yosemite. One source has also claimed updated Mac minis could appear at the event, but there has been little additional chatter about the possibility.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Thursday, and MacRumors will have full live coverage of the proceedings. There are likely to be additional leaks and rumors in the final lead-up to the event, so stay tuned as Apple prepares to finalize its product lineup for the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: No Retina MacBook Air Introduction Planned for Apple's October 16 Media Event

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

3. Macboy Pro macrumors 6502a

Did anyone really think it would show up with zero part leaks?

4. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

"The Retina MacBook Air will be coming this event, I promise!"

Pretty sure it never was going to happen this year. :rolleyes:

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yep. Not a surprise when the processors necessary for the rMBA are not yet available.

6. gpat macrumors 6502a

Calling B.S. on this. Core M processors are out, and I can't imagine Apple doing nothing with them.

7. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Seems like updated Apple TV's will also not be in the cards.

8. huschpuscheli macrumors regular

9. raniel macrumors regular

raniel

So you mean the same old air with minor spec bump? Geez

10. strwrsfrk macrumors regular

Agreed. Except for minor spec bumps, a full redesign seems likely, and that will require more efficient Broadwell parts.

Honestly, though, I'd rather have a gorgeous 1920x1080 screen that doesn't take the iGPU as much... Then again, I'm probably in the minority there.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Exactly. I think there's a better chance of seeing retina iMacs/Thunderbolt displays than new MBAs.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sometimes I wonder if the MacBook Air was simply used as a proof of concept for smaller electronics for a portable system, as well as a study to see how well the new unibody manufacturing process performs.

It doesn't really feel like it has had the attention it deserves (from Apple) since it's introduction. I's almost like the iPad line, and smaller Macbook sizes are taking away more of Apple's attention. But, then again this is just a rumor, and we won't really know the plans until the event is over.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

The MacBook Air is probably my favorite Apple laptop right now, and its last redesign and remarketing was probably one of the biggest refreshes in Apple history.

14. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

"It's been way too long."
    And we still need to wait more.

15. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

Why not?

16. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

That's a shame. I bought one recently and, while it performs great, it'd be nice to see the internal hardware specs bumped a bit.

17. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

What nobody will see coming: Retina Apple TV *bam*!

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What's the difference between Core M and Broadwell?

19. Serban Suspended

Broadwell for laptops are planned for Q1 2015, only for desktops for iMacs are ready on November-December

20. nando87 macrumors 6502a

Well if it'll only be a new ipad and yosemite it will be a really boring keynote. They better amuse us with some creative streaming problems.

21. OSXMavericks macrumors member

OSXMavericks

The MacBook Air was updated in April so why would they update it again a few months later? The MacBook Air has a life span of usually around a year.

Next year they will have better hardware to implement a retina display that is powerful enough yet also has good battery life.

22. Razeus macrumors 603

Refuse to buy an Air until Retina is available.

23. Ramius macrumors 6502

Damn it! I was hoping to see a new MBA!
    This is what Im looking forward to more than the watch or anything else.

I want to see Apple reimagine the laptop!

24. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

It's been way too long since we've seen an update to the Mac Mini. I'd really like to see an update to that and hope they retain its upgradable memory and HDD aspects.

25. 2457282 Suspended

Truly excited about the iPad announcement. Looking forward to giving my wife a present -- and it will be my iPad 3 ;-)