No sapphire screen.... iPhone 6 screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sap12690, Sep 10, 2014.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

So it looks like the iPhone 6 did not have a sapphire screen after all.... So my question now is.... Should I plan on putting a screen protector on it? I've put one on every single one of my iPhones but judging from the leaked parts it looks like this screen is a bit tougher when it comes to scratches. Is it any different then the iPhone 5 and 5s screen? Thoughts?

2. herman45, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

herman45 macrumors member

No sapphire screen.... iPhone 6 screen protector?

Sorry i thought wrong about this point

3. drkwtsn macrumors member

it does NOT have a sapphire screen

4. Dave245 macrumors 603

The iPhone 6 does not have a sapphire display, but it does have "ion- strengthened glass" this was listed in the keynote on screen. Now i don't know what "ion strengthened glass" is or how it differs from the normal glass, but i do remember seeing it as part of Apple's keynote.

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

A screen protector has never been necessary for the iPhone. I've never used one on the many iDevices I've owned and I've never had a scratch.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

7. Haifisch macrumors regular

8. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

You're in the minority. Most people I know without a screen protector have scratches galore on every iphone generation.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You must have some really careless friends. The screens on these devices are really difficult to scratch. You would almost have to be trying to scratch them.

I clean my iPads and iPhones on my pants leg or shirt, use the kitchen towel or my t-shirt. Nobody else in my family has ever used a screen protector and none have ever had a scratch either. I suppose if you are ridiculously clumsy and chuck your phone around like a maniac, you may need one.

I do have some friends that are seriously hard on their devices. Their devices look like they've been using them as hockey pucks after a short time. I can see someone like that perhaps needing one, but if you are reasonably careful with your stuff, it's a waste and ruins the experience.

Just my opinion and experience of course.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I used to get screen protectors, but I skipped them with the 5S. My screen was just fine. There are one or two very faint and small scratches that can be seen at an angle in the right light if you squint just right...

I have tried the tempered glass screen protectors (I tried the Spigen, specifically, wife used the Zagg one) and they both chipped on us in the corners after a while. We take great care of our phones and never dropped them, so it wasn't due to abuse.

I would just go naked if I were you, unless you know you are going to be beating the snot out of your phone. Still, if you are going with a screen protector, I would go with something glass. Nothing beats the feeling of glass versus plastic/film.

11. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

I'm thinking of getting a folio case at first to see how I like that.

12. mjfan82 macrumors regular

:d:d:d:d:d

13. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I always use anti-glare screen protectors, but I don't see any non-sketchy ones from eBay sellers yet. Ordered a 3-pack of regular clear ones (for a dollar...) until then.

14. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

AppleCare is the only screen protector you need.

15. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Screen protector for $3-40 depending on what you get or pay $100 to replace iPhone screen with Applecare+ not including the price of Applecare+.

I wouldn't say Applecare+ was a screen protector.

16. yegon, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

yegon macrumors 68020

Used all my 4 iPhones naked, never had an eye perceivable* scratch on any of them. Just dedicate a pocket to your phone, job done. Really isn't a concern.

*I say this, because in extremely bright sunlight under a magnifying glass I can perceive absolutely tiny marks in places, same will apply to everyone's. Never once in normal use can I see them. Resale, I've sold every one for a high price.

17. mattlb macrumors newbie

I've had my 4 for 4 years, not a single crack or scratch on the screen

My secret? Take extra care with your phone. Sometimes cleaning with screen cleaner can actually mask certain scratches

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Never scratched an iPhone screen and I have had them from day one.

Hate the feel of a screen protector.

19. DELTAsnake, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

20. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Never had a scratch on 4 iPhones and 3 iPads, all without screen protectors. But, I do take care of them. For example, my pants all have one pocket that is always dedicated to my iPhone. Nothing else goes in there, ever. So I never end up with keys or change or whatever scraping against it. I keep them clean and make sure not to rub anything abrasive on them, like salt. I imagine if you have kids, it would be a lot harder to protect them bare.

21. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Again, AC+ is all you need. I will just take a new phone for $79. You can keep the scratches and dents with your new screen.

22. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I wouldn't worry about scratching gorilla glass unless you're in a sandy enviroment it's very tough glass. Sand can scratch anything.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I always put on a protector. I have a 5 pack from Amazon enroute. In the past they have taken the brunt of drops (tripping on uneven sidewalk when paying more attention to my phone than where I'm walking) and other goofy mishaps. Easier to replace a $1 screen protector than $100 screen. It also makes it easier to clean the screen w any glass cleaner and not worry about ammonia or alcohol content.

24. amro macrumors 6502

Zagg has a glass screen protector. I have it on my HTC One M8 and will probably put it on my 6 Plus, as long as it fits really well. Got tired of the film type protectors with bubbles and edges peeling off. I saw the Glass at BB and tried it. It's a bit pricey at $40, but much better than the films. I know it seems silly to put glass on glass, but I have OCD about any minor scratches on the phone screen. Can't get past that.