No surprises left for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Im in the market looking for a new phone. Im probably gonna wait till the beginning of 2012, specifically the CES (or whatever its called) in February, where its supposed to be announced the new super phones, like SGS3 and others. Im very happy with my iPhone 4, but its starting to fail (home button problems and such).

Considering the high specs that some Android devices are gonna have next year, what surprises can Apple come with to keep interest on the iPhone? We already know it will have a 4 screen with high resolution. What else? Maybe A6 quad core? Another cool point would be a even better GPU for games, but aside from that I don't see any great new features that can be included, mainly because Apple is not the kind of people that will introduce stuff like NFC, DLNA, etc.

So, considering this, do you guys believe the iPhone 5 will surprise us just like the next high end android phones? I gotta admit Im more interested in seeing what the SGS3 has than the iPhone 5. I think it could be because iPhone 4S was a disappointment to me.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, we don't know that for sure, at all.

3. kicko macrumors 65816

My guess so far is a 4" screen, redesign, and 4G

Typically Apple is quality and function over specs and high performance.

A new new iphone might drop sometime next summer, its always a waiting game. I have to say I am getting more impressed with android but until they get a camera and battery life equal to the iphone i wouldnt switch.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Until its actually released it's a total surprise.

5. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Android Hardware as of now is really sold. But at the end of the day the OS is still super buggy. Once they tighten the apps and the "open" environment the hardware won't mean anything.

6. matttye macrumors 601

Android isn't buggy at all :confused:

I've used it for two years now, nearly 2years on a htc desire and a few months on a galaxy s2.

Had a really good experience on both. Htc sense was quite buggy but that can't be blamed on android.

7. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Everyone that I know that has an android device are extremely frustrated with the slow down. A few of the devices are the Thunderbolt, Droid X and Droid 2.

8. matttye macrumors 601

I haven't used any of them, but all of those phones have custom uis on top right?

It may be time for them to try a stock android experience. Rooting and installing a custom rom did wonders for my desire.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

1. Invisibility cloak
    2. Lie detector
    3. Babe magnet
    4. Time machine (available only for AT&T users)

10. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

The Android Operating System certainly isn't "supper buggy". After using two Nexus phones in the past few years, I can say this with experience. Sure some stuff crashes randomly, but that happens on all platforms. In fact, safari crashed the first time I tried I writing this reply (on my phone).

The Droid 2 Droid X, all HTC and Samsung phones all come with their pre installed overlay skin on top of android. That is what's slow/buggy.

Go read some Galaxy Nexus reviews; that is Android.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It seems to have many many many more bugs than iOS. That's EXACTLY why I switched. My android phone was so full of bugs...

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Which phone did you have?

13. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

I just know what I've experienced and have seen with customers and I see a lot of Android devices sold but the return rate is extremely high and the long term satisfaction extremely low.

And I am also on my 3rd iPhone replacement. All hardware related to be fair....

14. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

If we told you it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?
    Maybe it will be this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBwnv_dAg ,
    maybe it will be a tablet iphone (dual screens that unite to form a tablet).
    Who knows? But it will sure have something great (otherwise they'll fall), since the 4s didn't give much except speed (let's not talk about siri, which not only isn't used much, it's only useful in america...).
    Since the 4s was basically a spec-bump, I believe they will do something big with the iphone 5. And I hope it's a "Steve jobs" big, not just a bigger screen and that's it. They need something revolutionary!

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You can bet it will be a surprise. Wveryone thought we had a iPhone 5 and all we got was the 4S. That was a surprise to many!

Gigerbread on the GS2 is far from buggy. Been using it for months and noe one single crash. Maybe some of the software is buggy but I have used to Apple software that sucked, too!

My SG2 easily surpasses the 4S battery and the SG2 battery is as good or better in my opinion.

You are living in the olden days and the GS2 with Gingerbread is not buggy. No crashes in months. Just fast buttery smooth operation. My 4S is not bad but I choose to use the SG2 90% of the time.

16. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I wish we could turn off certain sub forums from the forum spy... I don't have anything against people posting about upcoming iPhones, but... i want to be able to enjoy my goddam 4s more than 2 months before everything being about the new model...

17. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

All android devices aren't created equal. The iPhone is ONE premium product. There are premium android devices, clearly. But at the same time, there are hundreds and hundreds of crappy LG, Samsung, etc phones with crappy screens, slow processors, and terrible battery life that carriers give away for free or $49 on contract. To make matters worse, the manufacturers put their dog-slow UI skin on top of it. Those phones are TERRIBLE, and they don't represent Android proper and they don't represent Google's vision. Of course people with these crappy phones will be unsatisfied and return them. That is why customer satisfaction ratings are low.

Also, I wouldn't say *extremely* low like you claim; 50% are VERY satisfied, compared to 70% for Apple. I don't think that's too bad considering the multitude of crappy phones out there. Android satisfaction ratings are an average of the ratings of people with low-end budget phones, and high-end ones.

Ratings are always skewed and should be taken with a grain of salt. If you can find the numbers, look up the customer satisfaction of people that have "high-end" android phones. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too far behind Apple.

18. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

I just call it as I see it.

19. TruckdriverSean, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It sounds as though you're looking to buy a phone based on hardware specs, and absolute bleeding-edge technology.*

If so, you're looking at the wrong company.

The only iPhone that might have been perceived as revolutionary from a hardware perspective might*have been the original iPhone 2G. However, it wasn't really revolutionary from a hardware technology point of view. It might have been a hardware revolution in that it brought a lot of different pieces of technology together in one device. Capacitive touchscreens, Multi-Touch gestures, even the touchscreen phone itself had all been done before. The real revolution in the original iPhone was the total package hardware & operating system. Bringing together all this horsepower in an easy to use package was the revolutionary step Apple took.

Was the iPhone 3G bleeding edge? My LG flip phone had a better camera!

*Was the iPhone 3GS leading-edge? The original Motorola droid was quite a bit faster.

Was the iPhone 4 really technologically superior to the other handsets on the market? Uhm... Nope.*

The iPhone 4S?

The reason that the Apple iPhone is by far the best selling device, is because (just like the original iPhone from 2007) it as a device is greater than the sum of its parts.*

It puts all the horsepower together in a package that anyone can use. It isn't designed to sell to spec hungry geeks, and never was.

So if the phone you're hoping to buy must-have the maximum amount technology points on a piece of paper, you'll really have to look elsewhere. And have a fat wallet too, cause you'll be buying a new phone every month. :)

BTW, you can add DLNA to the iPhone with an app. And without trying to start a flame here (honestly) I've rarely been so disappointed in all my technological life. Now I understand why Apple did AirPlay. :/

BTW #2 while most of the reviews I've read on the galaxy Nexus say nice things about the hardware, the big improvement is in ICS. The usability and interface has really been stepped up a notch by Google.*

I wonder who they learned that from?

20. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Really? You're waiting on a half-baked, a former shell of what was, trade show to tell you what to do?

Don't bother with an iOS device then. Perhaps you're simply not up to understanding what it's all about.

There is a reason why Apple chooses to show it's hand after all the others finish a little too 'early' - with their reactionary designs to whatever Apple put out a half-a-year ago. Then Apple will come in and leap frog again setting the tone for 2013. Prepare to see a lot of voice-app-a-likes @ this year's CES and CTIA.

Did you know there could be a better web browsing interface taking full advantage of webkit before 2007?

Did you know there was an alternative to the stylus-be-damned UI of the past 10 yrs of smartphones?

Did you know you could do the hundreds of things you could do before the developer submitted the app on the app store?

You're not going to be able to predict what they have - enough already. The only thing you can rely on is that Apple continuously leapfrogs its competition year after year since the webkit-era began. That's enough for me; its only a question of which generation of the iPhone will make you switch for good not if.

21. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Im extremely happy with my iPhone 4. I dont really need super high end specs either. Im just saying that Im more excited to see what Android comes with next year hardware wise than the iPhone. For example, I love the idea of the software buttons that the Nexus has introduced. I would love that on the iPhone instead of the hardware button that breaks after just 1 year...

I would like Apple to step up the level instead of only small specs bump. I, like almost every gadget lover, like to see smartphones evolve every year.

22. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Apple will definitely change something. But we will have to wait and see.

I am never a corporate fanboy (seriously i don't get how people get this silly attachment to companies and operating systems designed to get money from their wallets) but when it comes to smartphones i keep coming back to the iPhone after using android phones. Recently sold my galaxy s 2 and galaxy s captivate (with beta ICS ROM on the captivate) and got an iPhone 4. Why no iPhone 4S? Because i got the 4 for way cheaper plus its battery life is great. And it was running 4.3.3 which is awesome because of untethered JB :)

I will see what CES and MWC brings but unless android phones start giving me 7-9 hrs of actual usage time which is what iPhone 4 made me used to, i will stick with the old beater. My needs are more important to me than latest and greatest.

----------

Matias Duarte, the guy from WebOS of course. Who else.

23. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Android is lame I've had two of them and well keep switching back to my iPhone :/ sorry I will never purchase one again

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

After reading (so far) about 1/2 of the Steve Jobs bio i see no way Apple can be successful 3-4 years down the road. Once all of his "works in progress" (visions) are out the door the company will become just what it was in 1985 when he wasn't there. It was a "1 man company' and without that one man it's a goner. R.I.P. Apple.

25. burnside macrumors 6502

I read the entire book and get something different. I see Apple doing very well, not super great, but very well. Design will always be there thanks to Jonathon Ive. He actually has more design sense than Jobs. Where Jobs exceeded was in negotiations and forcing hardware engineers to conform to the design specs as much as possible.

They also know that only a handful of projects should be taken at a time which stresses focus on great products. And for those who don't know who's on Apple's board, here are some of the names:

Al Gore
    Robert Iger (Disney CEO)
    Arthur Levinson (Genetech CEO)
    Ronald Sugar (former Northrop CEO)
    William Campbell (former Intuit CEO)

That is a well rounded and formidable suite of directors. Apple will not make too many mistakes with that list. Don't worry about Apple 3-4 years down the road.