Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah i would like to know what you have to do set this up. I have had everything enabled since beta 1 and never have had traffic conditions show up once on my iphone 5.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
I have received a traffic notification only twice, randomly... I go to a lot of the same places every week and they are marked in frequent locations but traffic reports are not really generated.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
for those that have it on, do you have traffic enabled in your map app? I don't have it turned on there, but may do that just to see if it shows up. It was working in Beta 1 for me but hasn't since then. I know at one point I messed around with that setting in the maps app.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
for those that have it on, do you have traffic enabled in your map app? I don't have it turned on there, but may do that just to see if it shows up. It was working in Beta 1 for me but hasn't since then. I know at one point I messed around with that setting in the maps app.

You don't have to have it enabled in Maps.
I don't know what triggers traffic notifications, but it shows up for me in the morning to tell me how long it would take to get to the office, and when I'm out in the evening to tell me how long to get home. I've noticed it mostly around rush hour times.
I think Apple will make better use of this plus the Today view on the Notification Screen come fall. I have a feeling we'll be seeing increased functionality.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
Just an FYI, I went into my Maps app, disabled traffic, turned it back on, and now the traffic info is showing up in my NC.

Just wanted to pass this along for anyone still having this issue.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Just an FYI, I went into my Maps app, disabled traffic, turned it back on, and now the traffic info is showing up in my NC.

Just wanted to pass this along for anyone still having this issue.

Are you referring to "hiding traffic" in the Maps app or disabling traffic under "system services"?

fireitfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Thanks a lot.

It works for me now, I can see the traffic info in NC.

I hide the traffic info and then switch on Traffic info in the maps app.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
Do you have calendar events setup with an address in the location field?

Traffic takes the info from calendar events and traffic will only show up on the day of the appointment. However if you have your home setup and your out then it'll display the time it'll take for you to go home when not showing calendar events

Note: it can be pretty picky on the address too so make sure it shows up in apple maps before adding it to locations ;)

mstrshikadance

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008

Traffic takes the info from calendar events and traffic will only show up on the day of the appointment. However if you have your home setup and your out then it'll display the time it'll take for you to go home when not showing calendar events

Note: it can be pretty picky on the address too so make sure it shows up in apple maps before adding it to locations ;)

how do you set up home? where do you input it?

also, any difference if using google calendars versus iCloud?

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH

Put your name in your address book, put your Home address in and make sure you personal info is tagged to your name.

----------

Are you referring to "hiding traffic" in the Maps app or disabling traffic under "system services"?

do it from your maps app disable traffic and then re enable it.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I travel the same route a lot and that's the only time I see it pop up. When I've went somewhere else or came back home, it'll tell me how to get back home or to work.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
Put your name in your address book, put your Home address in and make sure you personal info is tagged to your name.

This, and you should be able to just tell siri who you are, or if that fails then under Siri settings is the option to manually add your contact info. Otherwise, I think in safari there's another options under autofill you could try if it's not a 4S, upwards.

Nope, i use google calendar and icloud everything else just because it's easier to link with other programs. The one other thing I think it's tied to is the Alert set since right now the traffic doesn't show up for my appointment in 4 hours but will show up later.

mstrshikadance

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
This, and you should be able to just tell siri who you are, or if that fails then under Siri settings is the option to manually add your contact info. Otherwise, I think in safari there's another options under autofill you could try if it's not a 4S, upwards.

Nope, i use google calendar and icloud everything else just because it's easier to link with other programs. The one other thing I think it's tied to is the Alert set since right now the traffic doesn't show up for my appointment in 4 hours but will show up later.

thanks for the help...for the life of me can't get it to show up....had it working under beta 2...but since beta 3 hasn't popped up once

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
How do you tag it? :confused:

Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - My Info - select your name.

----------

thanks for the help...for the life of me can't get it to show up....had it working under beta 2...but since beta 3 hasn't popped up once

Go into your Maps app hit the i in a circle, hit hide traffic, then go back and hit show traffic, or maybe you just need to hit show traffic. Then follow the steps tag your contact info in the settings.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - My Info - select your name.

----------

Go into your Maps app hit the i in a circle, hit hide traffic, then go back and hit show traffic, or maybe you just need to hit show traffic. Then follow the steps tag your contact info in the settings.

Can only assume it's not for the UK as tried all above and still nothing

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010

This may be part of the answer, but not all. This past Sunday, I noticed that I had an estimate to how long it would take to get to church. I don't have this in the native calendar, only a Google one which iOS unaware, I also didn't include the address. Seems that our movements are being tracked looking for trends which can be used for forecasting likely activities.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
Can only assume it's not for the UK as tried all above and still nothing

I'm in the UK and had no problems with it not working.

Only thing i can think it might be is if i setup an appointment for an hour or so away then it doesn't seem to pull the info. However whenever i've setup one after today then thats when it kicks in so possibly a bug or some other limit stopping it updating too much?

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I'm in the UK and had no problems with it not working.

Only thing i can think it might be is if i setup an appointment for an hour or so away then it doesn't seem to pull the info. However whenever i've setup one after today then thats when it kicks in so possibly a bug or some other limit stopping it updating too much?

So I have to set appointments ?

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
So I have to set appointments ?

How else does it work out where you need to be and at what time? It may "learn" as well but i've yet to see that and i wouldn't trust it tbh.

If your not at home though, then it comes up with how long it'll take to get home automatically but thats the only time i've seen it come up without an appointment setup.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've enabled and disabled traffic in the maps app.
Created appointments for location.

Have both Home and Work addresses in the contact card associated with me for Siri.

:'(

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
It's learned that I go to the gym at lunch because now that I'm at work, it's telling me it will take approx 4 min to get to the gym even though I haven't made an reminder or calendar event for it. It's just picked up on my activities for when and where after a few weeks of detecting a pattern.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Seemed to take a while for it to start. But now I get notifications both in the morning about travel time to work and in the afternoon for travel time home.

Kinda cool.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I've tried everything in this thread to get it to work and still unsuccessful.

I think i'm just gonna let it go at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.