No update is really sad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nvcplus, Sep 12, 2012.

1. nvcplus macrumors regular

Come on, Apple. I know iDevices are your bread and butter, but there are legitimate customers waiting for an update and once again, nothing.

I know I am going to get the usual responses of 'stop bitching', etc etc. But I don' care. They're doing the same thing as they're doing to the Mac Pro. Ignoring it.

A year and a half in the PC world is HUGE.

I need an October release or I am seriously (and sadly) going to have to start looking in other directions for my home computer needs...

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

It's not surprising at this point.

The current iMacs are very nice. If you need a new computer, you should buy one. If you do not need it now, you might as well wait for October to see if the rumor mill is actually right in their guessing this time. If they are wrong yet again, I'd say give up waiting and just get a new iMac for yourself in October either way. You did say, you need one for October.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. There will be iMacs of some sort for sale in October and any computer running OS X sure beats a windows box.

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

While I would definitely agree with you about OS X > Windows... I won't agree that the current iMacs are "very nice". They are severely underpowered compared to what is available right now, let alone at the price they're asking.

4. Billyvasil macrumors newbie

I agree with you. My laptop died in late May and now I am itching for a new computer. Apple is taking way too long if this is only a refresh. If nothing comes around by early October I'm buying a PC!

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They really seemed to have stretched it this time. No way you should buy an iMac unless you desperately need it RIGHT now. Even then, get a refurb. They are so outdated its embarrassing. Sandy Bridge and 6XXX series GPUs were replaced at least 6 months ago in the PC world.

6. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Oh really? What computers running OS X (legal ones!) are available right now that are better? I mean desktops now.

----------

You know, I should probably stop swimming against the tide around here. Maybe you are right. Everyone, should simply wait for the next release even if it is next year, the year after, whatever - whether they want to or not. I believe that is the official party line around here. I think I get it now.

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I wasn't talking about Macs, obviously. But why does it have to be 'legal'? Why don't hackintosh's count?

Also, yeah, maybe you should stop telling people what to do? As time goes on, the iMac further becomes not only outdated, but a bad deal for your money (no matter how much OSX owns Windows).

Die hard Apple fans or people that have stuck with Macs from the very beginning have a right to be upset while they watch Apple switch their focus to a casual market leaving them without many options if they want to remain loyal to a company that once thought of them first.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its simply poor long-term value at this point. The two best points for purchase are just after refresh and as soon as they hit the refurb store. After that, they decrease in value relative to the newer technology too quickly to represent good value. That is why MacRumors has the Buyer's Guide.

9. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

To the contrary, not a thread like this goes by without some jackarse telling the newbie "If you need it now, buy it now" without even remotely acknowledging that, when it's been a certain amount of time since a refresh, buying the existing model instead of waiting is an economically poor decision. If there was one line I could summarily ban from MacRumors, it wouldn't be "Steve would never have let this happen" or even "It's supposed to be MAC rumors not iPhone rumors lol." It would be "If you need it now, buy it now." Because that's not good advice unless either the Mac in question is so cheap it doesn't matter when you buy it (Mac Mini, iPad) or the Mac in question is roughly mid-product cycle and even a normal refresh duration puts a new release a significant distance ahead on the calendar.

The iMac has languished for what is now the longest iMac refresh gap in the Intel era and shortly the longest iMac refresh gap ever, period. As with black swan theory, it's cold comfort to know you've made a rational decision when the circumstances then present you with an extreme outlying parameter. To put it another way, for every single other Intel iMac release, the "Just wait!" crowd would have had their cake by now.

10. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I "want" a new iMac, but I don't "need" a new iMac since my 24" is still going strong. I'd be crazy to jump into the back-end of the current model's cycle.

11. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

What is really disturbing is that I don't know when the iMac will be released, but if it's any time before 2013 Dirtyharry won't ever have the courage to show over here ...

12. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Wise decision. A lot of people mix up need and want.

----------

Sure I will. I am as human as anyone. Therefore I have at least as much chance of being wrong. It happens to human beings all the time, every day. Why would I be different?

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i have a 17" MBP and macbookair 13".
    I am planning on selling both of these for an imac, coupled with my ipad and iphones - works perfectly for my needs. In real need for the screen-estate, since i am doing a lot of journal writing.

I really would also welcome usb3!

14. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

i'm not bitching at you but why are you writing this here. Send it via email to Apple lol. Having the intentions of writing to Apple but displaying it here is just a waste of yours and everyone else's time.

15. washburn macrumors 6502

what day is likely next?

sick of these rumors of it being shipped etc

16. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Well, purchase your PC/Windows box and enjoy it. The current iMacs meet / exceed many peoples needs - well beyond surfing and email.

17. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Guess I'll stick with my 24" for a while longer. It's getting sorta ridiculous at this point.

18. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

The question still remains will Mac rumors and 9to5mac stop masturbating over the new iPhone and finally start posting stuff about the iMacs?:cool: lol. We need more news on those we don't know anything about the iMac that was certain as the iPhone.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given that the iPhone covers about 70% of Apple's revenue (and the new model alone is expected to add 0.3% to 0.6% to the entire GDP of the US this year!), iMacs have faded into the background of all things Apple. It is sad. :(

20. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

No later then OCT 10 TO 31ST after that I would be stunned.

Same goes for the Macmini .

21. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Apple is a mass market gadget company. Computers are now merely to project power and expertise in technology. The extremely publicized Retina MacBook serves this purpose.

Desktops are considered a graveyard of a market that Apple has no interest in serving. Whatever Apple manufacturers will be from a hobbyist perspective.

Look into making a hackintosh. If you don't want to assemble the machine you can order a known working build from a place such as Cynerpowerpc. Samsung has a new 27"PLS monitor that everyone who has purchased it raves about.

Do that over the next four or five weeks and then decide.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You do know this is an iOS event right?

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

No? Did they ever state it was specifically an "iOS" event? They could have easily silent refreshed or 'one more thing'd' it.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The invitation alone lets you know its an iPhone 5 event. Not to mention they never release macs at the iPhone events (or at least haven't in the past few releases).

Every year people complain that WWDC and the iPhone/iTunes events don't have new Macs.

25. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

The simple fact that there has been a record amount of time since a refresh is what we're talking about. Sure, this might (obviously) was centered around ios, but that doesn't mean anything since they're not sticking to their own sales schedules and so forth. They themselves are not following their usual devices.

A refresh is obviously coming. There is no specific rule as to when it will come. Since it has been a long time already (the point, again), people are getting antsy with each passing event. It is fair complaint, I would say.

edit* show me where the invitation says ios only please? Just curious.