iPhone XS Max No USB-C, No 5G post everything So yeah

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealAlex, Jul 28, 2019.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Latest rumors are no surprises to everyone on a site called MacRumors. I just want to hear your feedback/ thoughts.

I think my $4 iPhone XS Max that Sprint gifted me last year will need to last 1 more year.

But No USB-C I’m speechless.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I like USB C but considering I just bought a bunch of lightning cables and products that use it I actually want to keep lightning anyways . The Powerbeats pro has it

3. ericwn macrumors 68030

Your headline makes no sense. Can you rephrase this?

You’re not providing any links to any rumours you discuss, but that aside hardly anybody is expecting 5G or USB-C on iPhone this year so no harm done.

4. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Neither "5G" nor usb-c are of interest to me as they won't actually change anything about my phone. And from what I've read around here, usb-c connectors are more fragile than lightning.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Your XS Max will last another year. I did 3.5 years with an iPhone 6s+ and it's still going. Boo-hoo.

As far as USB-C, what are you expecting?

Apple has always had proprietary connectors for the iPhone. 30-Pin and Lightning. Hell, they had it on Mac. I've got three A1006 ADC-DVI converters because I've got a Cinema Display and 2x Studio Displays that use ADC.

I bought my first USB-C device (my Pixel) three months ago. Other than two Pixels in my house we own zero devices with USB-C.

Again. Boo-hoo.

6. Nacho98 macrumors member

I'd much rather have lightning than USB-C. The lightning ports are smaller, and far more secure than USB-C ports, which can often feel sloppy and loose.

And I'd wager real world speeds on 5G are just the same as they are on 4G, which are pretty much the same as they were on 3G.

7. torana355 macrumors 68040

Ahh yes Apple fans with the usual we rather have lightning ports till Apple introduces USB-C at which point the whole opinion changes, so fickle.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I would rather have USB C to go with my iPad but it’s hardly a deal breaker when i charge wireless anyway....not really a deal breaker.

Would say 5G isn’t big enough deal yet by 2020 which by then apple will Bring it out anyway.

9. torana355 macrumors 68040

I totally understand that. I just don't understand why people defend an inferior technology just because Apple are using it, then like clockwork opinions completely backflip once Apple finally jumps on board. Do these people actually read what they write?

I'm Not referring to 5g btw, the 5g network is not even close to being useful yet and I have a 5g phone.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

That’s forums for you, there will always be agenda posts wether it’s for against apple lol

11. Closingracer macrumors 68040

They aren’t tho

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

When you buy Apple you're buying the whole thing.

Buying Apple and then expecting them to conform to what you believe they should be doing is illogical.

If someone wants a standard or the latest then there are other manufacturers not named Apple.

13. Closingracer macrumors 68040

What? I’m fine with usb type C.... my windows laptop has one , my devices other then my iPhone and Powerbeats pro has them. But what I carry the most is my iPhone X, Powerbeats pro and the Sony WF-1000XM3. Two have lightning ports and one is USB type C.

14. ericwn macrumors 68030

Feel free to point these people out when the switch has actually happened. Other than being more robust I don’t think lightning has much to offer.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Usb type C is superior .... I just want one cable for everything lol. And for now lightning is that for the most part

16. ericwn macrumors 68030

Of course it’s superior in many ways, it’s years younger than Lightning too. However there’s a good amount of posts that I’ve come across from other forum members who ran into reliability issues with USB-C, either with defective cables or ports.

That’s just anecdotal evidence of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have been charging wireless for the last two year so lightning or USB-C is fine with me.

As far as 5G, glad Apple is waiting another year to get it right! It will be years before many of us have 5G available.

The only thing that attracts me to the MAX 11 would be the camera. If it is great improved, I will bite, if not, I will stick to my MAX which is STILL showing 100% battery capacity!

I will take a Apple Watch 5 in black stainless and cellular.

18. VertPin macrumors 6502a

VertPin

I’m more curious about the $4 iPhone XS Max you got rather than this thread tbh.

19. now i see it macrumors 68040

anyone who is faux shocked there's not a USB-C port on an iPhone is ignorant (of USB C) or trolling.
    USB C was added to the iPad so that it could plug into digital cameras, flash drives and be used as a secondary monitor for the Mac. The iPhone isn't intended to do those things, so the inferior USB C port isn't included. Structurally, the Lightning port is superior to a USB C port and is the clear "winner" for an iPhone port.
    Another big problem with USB C is that there's a zillion cables out there but many are incompatible with certain devices. If you think a drawer full a snaggled Lightning cables is a pain, a drawer full of identical looking but incompatible USB C cables is a freaking nightmare.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sad that he thinks Sprint “gifted the phone for $4”.

21. Elitegate macrumors member

I get that a lot of people use and love USB-C already but for me it's not necessary, not yet. I don't have a single device that has an USB-C port. I also would need to buy more cables. I have only one Apple device at the moment which is my iPhone 8 Plus. I charge that one at night with a cheap 15$ wireless charger that i placed on my bedstand and that one has a Micro-USB port. Other than that i have a Lightning Dock sitting on my desk and that one (Lightning to USB-A) goes into my computer. I usually put my phone on the dock during daytime to sync / backup my phone with iTunes on Windows. Lightning has served me well over all the years.

22. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

USB C isn't better suited for iPhone.

We don't need a port that has several different standards, becomes loose over time, and design wise (female insert) is inferior.

That is all...

23. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

My problem with USB-C is the other end. Airports, airplanes, hotels, gyms, homes, etc. have installed USB-A power connectors. So now I'll need a dongle to use any of those to charge / use my USB-C device. I know it is "time" but finally the convenience of these ports in places will get replaced with additional dongles. I haven't looked that closely but I'd want a real short C to A dongle and not long cords.
    It's taken 10+ years for these ports to appear in public places and it will probably take another 10 to put in USB-C ports.

24. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

That's what some of these threads seem to imply, but maybe I'm wrong...I don't have any devices with usb-c.

25. pika2000 macrumors 603

USB-C, pointless on the iPhone over lightning. Rumor is Apple will include a lightning to USB-C cable on the upcoming iPhones, so problem is moot.
    5G, barely any coverage, carrier locked and specific, useless worldwide, only for the geeks to have an ePxxxx contest.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2019 ---
    This is why Apple still include USB-A cable with iPhones. Because in reality, it's a non-issue for the majority of iPhone buyers to have lightning to USB-A. Heck, most people I talk to think USB-C as a Samsung cable. Only the nerds wants it, just because.