No Voice and Data use together.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zepaw, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

A lot of people are making such a big deal about this. I honestly barely care. I was on AT&T with iPhone 3GS then 4 for a year and I can't even remember once needing to use my data while talking on the phone. I am NOT saying noone cares and it is not an issue; I am tired of people latching on like it will be the death note of the Verizon iPhone.

I like the way Tim Cook stated it at the Q&A today:
    I'm finally going to have an iPhone again in a month. I love my Verizon service and get to use the phone I want with unlimited data and mobile hotspot. I can easily continue to deal with not having simultaneous voice and data.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Were any data plans or prices announced today?

For me, using data while talking is something that is very useful.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, using data while talking is useful but some will find that living without it is entirely possible. I thought I would never be able to live without it and somehow I do. Somehow having cell service in areas where AT&T lacked has pulled rank. That is my own opinion, people may find data + voice use outranks making a call.

4. iqwertyi macrumors regular

Is the no voice and data at the same time apply to all Verizon phones?

I thought it did and was telling my friend about it.
    We just tested it with his droid and he was able to be on a call and view google maps and send out text.

Is this an example of voice and data at the same time?
    If so, you're saying the Verizon iPhone cannot do this?

I'm posting this question for them since I'm already on ATT, they are thinking about switching.

5. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Nope. Leaving it ambiguous for now. Current plans are $30 for unlimited data and $20 for @GB use of mobile hotspot feature. I would be surprised if they changed much in the next month. The unlimited data is a competitive advantage, why nullify it by hiking the price before the iPhone even arrives?

6. Lindsayej1983 macrumors member

DEAL BREAKER. I currently use a BB and use voice/data at the same time VERY OFTEN. It's 2011 for god's sake. What the hell is wrong with Apple??

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is not Apple's fault. It is a limitation of the CDMA network.

8. jordand321 macrumors member

Uhhhh you know it's not Apples fault right? It's a limitation of CDMA

9. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It is all Verizon phones yes. It is because of the CDMA signal the phones all use, which the Verizon iPhone will as well. I'm sure someday (not all that long from now) all their new phones will be LTE and this will be a non-issue; for now no you cannot use voice and data concurrently.

You mentioned using maps while on a call. I'm not sure if it is NO data at all or it is just a little trickle while talking. Anyone know more?

10. lauph macrumors regular

11. Lindsayej1983 macrumors member

How it is not Apple's fault? I am on Verizon now and am able to use voice/data currently on my phone and other Verizon phones I've had in the past. What am I missing here??

12. nosser macrumors regular

No an example would be surfing the web or sending/receiving email while on a call.

13. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

If it is not this year it will probably be the next; I am sure LTE 4G will make all this a non-issue anyway. :cool:

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

It is extremely convenient access data while on a phone call.

like Google Maps

or the internet (say you're on a conference call on earbud/speakerphone)

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You cannot use voice and data at the same time on Verizon's network. For example, you cannot surf the web while on a phone call.

There will be push notifications. You will just not receive any while you are on a call. You'll get them as soon as you hang up.

16. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Only Verizon's "unlimited" data is capped at 5GB, while grandfathered AT&T's is not

For anyone who doesn't think voice and data at the same time is a big deal, consider the fat that it nullifies the WiFi hotspot, navigation etc...

17. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I agree with the OP. I've had the 3g, the 3gs, and the iPhone 4 and never once needed to get on internet while on the phone. Doesn't mean I never will, it's just that it's not even an issue for me.

18. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I am more tired of this misinformation than anything else repeated on MR. I have gone far over my 5GB cap on Verizon several times with no extra charges and no slowing of my data. It is unlimited.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

If you're using data a call can still come through the right? It won't be sent to voicemail?

20. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Yea I'm tired of hearing that crap too. If you try to post anything on here about Verizon having unlimited data, someone always post that stupid info. I have gone over 5gb also with no extra fees etc., but when I was on At&t went over 2gb often and was charged huge fees.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Easy peasey!:eek:

22. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

No data at all; the 3G icon actually disappears while on a phone call. Email won't push, the browser won't load pages; as far as data-using apps are concerned, you might as well be in airplane mode.

Unless that guy's friend was using Google Voice for texting, texts don't go over the data network, so that explains how he could send/receive them while on a call. If he was using Maps successfully, then he was either only browsing areas that had already been cached (and the latest Maps update allows for much wider areas to be cached), or he was connected to a WiFi network.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    That's correct. It was the first iPhone with EDGE that had that limitation.

24. nosser macrumors regular

So you will have buy 2 vz iPhones! So you can surf the web and talk at the same time lol...

25. Syk, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

Syk macrumors 6502a

So I guess that means if you jailbreak and use mywi for internet you wouldn't be able to be on the phone at the same time.

I'm guessing 4G/LTE will take care of the data/voice thing

ETA. just read it will have mobile hotspot so no need for mywi...that feature will probably be included in the AT&T ip5