Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Someone please provide me with an example of how 802.11ac would improve the iPhone experience...
Well, let's see, say you and your new 5s are walking down the street with two of your buddies who both have android phones. You're all loudly streaming songs and youtube vids (hey, you're paying 70 bucks a month so you'll use the hell outta it) and suddenly, out of nowhere, one of them pops the question you've been trying to evade the entire morning: "dude, how fast is the ac on that thing anyways?". Nooo! Oh dang! Now you'll have to admit that it only has n wifi that tops out at a measly 90 Mb/s, ruining your entire MONTH.

No, 802.11ac will improve ANY phone's experience by miles, no matter what anyone says, and ya'll know it.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What some dimwits in here don't understand is that WiFi AC is just a bullet point feature for phones. The internal NAND will not even saturate wireless N. Why the hell include AC? it won't cause anything to move faster...

Agree but if Android has it! --> Apple U SUK! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1,000 complaint thread for today. Give the OP a 9" Android phone as a prize.

Last edited:

verseafterverse

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
if im at home i have a router for my laptop but a lot more then what i thought was connected by a eithernet cable if i need to stream i have eithernet if not im using my data so its not a big deal to me

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Some good points made. Maybe AC would affect battery life too much?? And very true that most won’t be steaming GB's worth of data every sec and current "N" will meet %99.9 of users needs. With that said I still want AC in my iPhone.:mad:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wifi AC sends up to EIGHT SIMULTANEOUS radio streams. That's a lot of radio activity, which means a lot of power consumption. And for what? You'll never need to transfer data that fast. You'll never even hit the theoretical maximum of 802.11n on your iPhone.

AC support would purely be a bullet point for spec-for-spec comparisons against Android, because they like to enter this sort of pissing contest with each other. I thought we were beyond that.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Some good points made. Maybe AC would affect battery life too much?? And very true that most won’t be steaming GB's worth of data every sec and current "N" will meet %99.9 of users needs. With that said I still want AC in my iPhone.:mad:
Why?? Why Not except the fact that your phone works very well the way it is. Be happy about that.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Yup, and I'm still waiting for the BluRay on my MBP. Gotta have all the cutting edge.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
2. The iPhone 5 dual channel 5Ghz 802.11n wifi didn't come anywhere near hitting the theoretical max of 300mbps. So even if you can get a better signal through AC, it probably wouldn't have made a big difference in terms of speed.

This is really the reason why it doesn't matter not having 802.11ac support.

iOS devices have never reached anywhere near the sorts of Wi-Fi throughput that you see on other devices (such as computers).

galahan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Other things to consider:
1. Additional cost. Sure it's probably in the pennies but if you're trying to hit a price point you can't have everything.
2. Additional complexity if it meant changing chips. Not sure if they kept the same chip as the 5, but if so, that means you know it's a chip that works properly. A new chip could have different operation and testing requirements.
3. Supply. Is there a manufacturer that can supply the volume of chips that Apple needs at the time it needs? Maybe there is, but just another thought.

I get that if you bought an Apple AC router you feel you'd want AC on a new product, but there really doesn't seem to be a good reason to include it at this point.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Prob due to battery life or it might have the hardware and they will tell you about it later like they did w/ the macbooks and I think BT on some iOS devices when they first release it officially.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
lol. People are wanting battery-murdering Gigabit WiFi on their mobile device when their Internet connection hasn't even caught up the old N standard yet.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
lol. People are wanting battery-murdering Gigabit WiFi on their mobile device when their Internet connection hasn't even caught up the old N standard yet.

"battery-murdering"?... tisk tisk.

For the same amount of data transferred AC will use less power.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
All the more reason for me to wait out until iPhone 6. Can't wait for blistering Airdrop and Airplay speeds across my AC network at home lol :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.