macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
As if Wal-Mart's reputation weren't bad enough already:

Wal-Mart Charges $175 for 'Stolen' Manure
Monday, August 22, 2005 7:52 AM EDT
The Associated Press

BROWNSVILLE, Ore. (AP) — It could have happened to anyone: Charles Gastorf and his wife, Cheryl, forgot to pay the $10 tab for 10 bags of steer manure during a recent shopping trip to their local Wal-Mart.

The two say that in the confusion of shopping on that March day they simply forgot to add in the cost of the manure. When the Gastorfs explained their forgetfulness to Lebanon City Attorney Tom McHill, he dropped shoplifting charges against them.

That could have been the end of the story — except for the letter from the world's largest retailer that soon arrived in their mailbox, demanding $175 in civil damages.

That's when the Gastorfs learned about a little-known Oregon law that allows retailers to pursue civil penalties regardless of whether a person is found guilty or innocent of theft.

The Gastorfs — who live in a manufactured home and are retired — spoke to an attorney, who told them that challenging the action in court could cost them several thousand dollars, much more than the $175 civil claim.

So the Gastorfs paid Wal-Mart the money.

"We wouldn't want to embark on a life of crime at our ages and become manure thieves. I mean, if you were going to steal something, would you steal manure?" Gastorf said.

But Shardon Weber, a spokeswoman for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart, told The Albany Democrat Herald that the company has decided to refund the Gastorfs' $175.

"It simply seems like the right thing to do," she said.
Linque

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I love how they tried to justify their actions at the end.

The right thing would have been accepting the couple's apology and just dropping the case :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Onizuka said:
Any chance we could have some of that fertilizer to blow up Wal-Mart headquarters along with their facist regime of a company?
Nope, wrong kind of fertilizer.

This is just a load of **** perfect for filling up the CEOs nice new luxury vehicle, or placing a really farm fresh load in a big steaming pile in the middle of their office.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Gonna line up on Walmart's side on this one.

We have people bounce cheques on us, try to give us bad charge card numbers, return goods that they broke themselves, claim for warranty replacement on a 512 Mb module but send in a 128 Mb, challenge the charge card billing on purchases they made and received, hoping to get them free etc. Fortuntely, 99.95% of customers are honest.

My point is that putting all these things straight consumes a lot of time and money for the seller. It's bad PR obviously to dispute with any customer, but sometimes I really wish we had some effective way to pursue the few bad apples who cost us hundreds of dollars.

And remember, charges in the W** M**** B*** S*** case were dismissed -not disproven. They actually did steal the product, then said they were sorry. The City Attorney (not a judge) decided not to pursue it criminally.

Of course, WalMart is a big, fat target to laugh at. Not so funny when its your own money getting stolen though...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
clayj said:
F*** Wal-Mart.

(And that's all I have to say about that.)
F*** Wal-Mart! (repeat over and over again, screaming).

They are evil, oh so evil. Let's all protest by creating a manure pile at the front doors of every local Wal-Mart. :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you can make ammonia from horse sh*t and you can make allot of explosives from ammonia.

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Wal*Mart is the white-trash mecca of the Western world. And I find myself strangely drawn there. I don't like the idea of the place, but I do love shopping there. Sorry, mom and pop.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I just think the title of the Thread merits a perusal, agree or disagree. Reminds me of life in the turd world.
X

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hector said:
you can make ammonia from horse sh*t and you can make allot of explosives from ammonia.
Just easier to burn the stuff, makes for an exciting news story.

What did they use to burn down the WalMart? Seems they used 120 Tons of bull **** Ted...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah, they should be prosecuted as terrorists too!

down with walmart
shop at costco...
turns out if you don't pay huge executive salaries, you can quite easily pay a living wage.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
And people are scratching their head wondering why they even let him back out. https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2722
Wal-Mart Executive Begins Jail Sentence

The chief financial officer of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has completed half of a 24-hour jail sentence for speeding last winter and is to return next weekend to complete the other half.

Thomas M. Schoewe, 52, pleaded guilty Aug. 5 for reportedly driving 110 mph on an interstate near Bentonville, where Wal-Mart is based. A state trooper stopped Schoewe at 1:30 a.m. Jan. 1. A state jusdge sentenced Schoewe to a day in jail.
Click here to find out more!

Beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday, Schoewe served 12 hours in the Benton County jail. He is to report back to serve another 12 hours Aug. 27, a jailer said Sunday.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
CanadaRAM said:
They actually did steal the product, then said they were sorry. The City Attorney (not a judge) decided not to pursue it criminally.
Because it would have been a waste of time.

The BS part is that they were not convicted of a crime, and yet were still able to be fined. And to fight the fine would have been more than the fine itself. Having shopped at places like this, I could see where you might forget to add in something like that, or leave heavier things on the bottom of carts and forget to tell the cashier. Plus they came back to pay the $10, then get punished for trying to fix what was clearly an honest mistake. Let the punishment fit the crime here, as it's nothing like the scenarios you mentioned. Wal-Mart overreacted and this is one of the many reasons people hate them.

At least they made things right... eventually. Wonder how many other people just get ripped off. I'd never shop there again.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I am not all that fond of Wal Mart at the moment. So I just shop at Sam's... :rolleyes:

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
ham_man said:
I am not all that fond of Wal Mart at the moment. So I just shop at Sam's... :rolleyes:
Huh??? I'm sure you were being facetious. "SAM'S CLUB (http://www.samsclub.com), a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., is the nation's largest warehouse chain in the United States serving small business owners and operators. The purchasing agent of choice, SAM'S CLUB provides every day low cost to more than 46 million entrepreneurs and consumers."
X

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ham_man said:
Sam's club is owned by Walmart you know..... i dont go to either, ever. i hate that place.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think both xsedrinam and PlaceofDis are so overcome by their hatred of Wal*Mart that they are missing the :rolleyes: ham_man included in his post.

:rolleyes: :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Freg3000 said:
I think both xsedrinam and PlaceofDis are so overcome by their hatred of Wal*Mart that they are missing the :rolleyes: ham_man included in his post.

haha, i know that ham_man is most likely being sarcastic, but i wouldn't say that i have a blind hate of Walmart as much as i am disgusted and disturbed by them, thats all.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Freg3000 said:

Now, I never said any such thing. My appeal was for accuracy
:rolleyes: You see how confusing and vague that "rolleyes" thingy makes things?
X

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1

Which is why you should use https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20419&stc=1