Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today released a limited edition Glow in the Dark Sport Band that is designed for the Apple Watch. The band, priced at $60, is compatible with the 49mm, 45mm, 44mm, and 42mm Apple Watch models.

nomad-glow-band.jpg

Like Nomad's other Sport Band options, the Glow in the Dark model is made from FKM fluoroelastomer rubber, and it is waterproof, so it can be worn when swimming, in the ocean, and during sweaty activities. The material is stiffer than Apple's version of the Sport Band, but it is comfortable on the wrist.

There's a pin-and-tuck mechanism to close the band for a secure closure, and interior ventilation channels add breathability to keep the watch band from getting too moist underneath, similar to Apple's Nike bands. In our testing, the Sport Band does indeed glow in the dark as advertised, though the glow is a bit more subtle than depicted in Nomad's photos. The band needs to have light exposure before it is able to glow in the dark, and the brightness will depend on the amount of light that it gets.

During the day, the band is an unassuming white color, but when the lights go out, it glows green.

Nomad has been releasing multiple limited edition versions of the Sport Band, so the new model joins Blaze, Atlantic Blue, Electric Blue, and High Volta.

The Glow in the Dark Sport Band can be purchased from the Nomad website for $60.

Article Link: Nomad Launches New Glow in the Dark Sport Band for Apple Watch

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I really like where NOMAD has gone with colors and even bands, but the sad part about THIS band is that if you’re between slots, holes, you’re SOL. So it just doesn’t work at all. ;-(

Reactions: Sean J

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Or for when you want people to see you when you’re out at night.
Pretty cool for runners and hikers and quite a few others, especially with the area I live a lot more evening/early morning runners really need to wear something high vis
The flashlight mode on Apple Watch can increase visibility in the dark. I can see the appeal of this band to save battery in that case though.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
It may be good for the autumn/winter months when you go outside, depending on how long the glow lasts.
Hopefully drivers will see you walking to avoid you at night when it gets dark sooner than later.
If it works well at night, then it should be a better alternative to Nike's reflective Sports wrap band, which doesn't work well in the dark. I have the summer white wrap and it doesn't reflect well at night.
It needs a neon white version. The neon yellow High Volta is sold out. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
If you walk around with a UV flashlight you can keep it glowing forever. Of course, exposing your wrist to that much UV isn't good. :)

Reactions: iLLUMI

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
They should also ready be using such equipment. A watch band won’t help.
Oh I 100% agree I just cannot believe how many times I barely see dark colored clothing when it is getting dark or already dark. At least with the band it will already be fixed on their watch (unless they are one to swap them regularly) so at least it will be something
The flashlight mode on Apple Watch can increase visibility in the dark. I can see the appeal of this band to save battery in that case though.
that would be pretty good, but like you said the battery drain may not be so great.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm not the target audience for this, I am still using the same band that came with my Series 3 out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.