Noooooo! Daughter dropped my new iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spinnetti, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Spinnetti macrumors regular

32gig, 4g... hit the nightstand right on the volume button, punching it in and rendering the machine useless as the volume image is on screen and volume at zero all the time.....

Thoughts? Apple gonna hose me or should I try to take the case apart and fix myself? (if I can get it apart safely, I can straighten the case)....

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I feel your pain.

I don't have the expertise and would pay to get it fixed, you might manage it. i'm sure you will get good help here if you do want to try.

3. bill-p macrumors 65816

I'd say you should allow Apple to hose you. The iPad is very very very (repeat "very" another 1000 times) hard to take apart and put back together in one piece.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Can't you buy applecare+ and pay the excess for the replacement?

5. rz-jacks macrumors member

replace daughter.... hahahaha just kidding. Thats a tough one... I would say go to the apple store and tell them exactly what happened, I've read stories of people who drop their iPads by accident and sometimes they will swap them out of niceness hahah so might as well try your luck before doing anything else.

oh and next time buy a good protective case :D

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Carry to the Apple store explain what happened excepting FULL responsibility. Be honest, humble and appreciative of ANY help that could be offered. You could very well luck up and get an exchange.;)

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

call up apple on the phone and get applecare+. can buy within 30 days of purchase

8. wrecks macrumors member

Don't they inspect the device first before they can qualify it good for apple care?

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if you go in person. The rules say if you call that's not needed.

here are the rules ;)

At an Apple Retail Store (if AppleCare+ is purchased separately from iPad, a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPad, and proof of purchase are required).
    By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

10. batotman macrumors 6502

Sounds like someone got the belt.

----------

I called and got it on my 4S. Nearest Apple Store is like 100 miles away.

11. macrumorsuser10 macrumors 6502

Time to get a new one.

Am I referring to the iPad, though?

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if you decide to diy, taking the casing off isnt hard, i think youd be able to at least unjam the volume easily, replacing the volume button all together is a little more tricky.

just look it up on youtube

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try hard reseting the iPad (hold down both power and home until the screen goes black) then turn it back on, that might get rid of the volume overlay frozen in the middle. If it works, then at least the iPad can be used, and volume can be controlled on-screen.

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

How old is your daughter? If she is young enough, bring her in to the Apple store with you and have her look cute for the guys at the genius bar - might help get a bit of pity. And no pervs, I don't mean like a hot teenage daughter, I meant a young kid looking sweet. Well, a hot teenage daughter might work too! :)

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Lmao I love your explanation. Probably not a bad idea though :p

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have 2 kids (6 and 11) and NOBODY buy Daddy touches my iPad 3. I don't care if my sons begs or whines, its not happening.

I put my iPhone 4S in an Otterbox case when he wants to play Angry Birds.

I would do what the posters above have said: call and buy AppleCare+, wait a few days, and then go to the store. I would not try to fix it yourself.

18. sjenkins49 macrumors member

Just take it to Apple and tell them what happened. My daughter spilt Dr Pepper in my MacBook Air and I took it in and told them what happened. They replace everything in the Air for free without AppleCare. If they won't then I would fix it myself, but I am technically inclined and take this kind of stuff as a challenge.

19. gigaguy macrumors 65816

It's a risk to let young kids handle ipad. and accidents happen with adults too. but I wouldn't let a kid carry a $700 diamond ring outside, and I wouldn't let a young kid use the new iPad unless seated in a safe carpeted space. that's just me.

20. ano0oj macrumors 6502

The same thing happened to my friend but what he did was jailbreak and removed the volume screen

21. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

:confused:

22. sjenkins49, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

sjenkins49 macrumors member

My 8 yr old daughter has my old iPad 2. Maybe you don't have kids, but ***** Happens. That is part of life and having kids.

He is looking for help, not asking whether his kids should or should not have used his iPad.

23. gigaguy macrumors 65816

jeez, I didn't blame him, I agreed even adults have accidents. My ipad is worth over $700 is why I mentioned the ring.
    with the first iPad, stories were around that some Apple stores were replacing some accidents. I know they did it for some of the all glass iPhone 4's too, wouldn't hurt to try. but as they sell so many now for 2 years I can see why they can't replace thousands of dropped ipads.

24. Radio macrumors 68000

i thought u were suggesting birth control (ring) because it's too late :p

25. Gary79 macrumors newbie

Gary79

It's these stories that make me glad I went with an Otterbox Defender, even though I have Apple Care. I'm clumsy and paranoid, and the nearest Apple store is a few hours away. I would love to use my iPad naked, or with a minimalistic case, but I'd hate to mess it up and be without.