Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If it's anything like countless Mac skins/themes for Linux (and I assume Red Star is essentially based on existing skins), the experience will be quite subpar at best (definitely worse than default GNOME/KDE skin).

I suppose this effort is to exhort how technologically advanced their glorious leader is, and on that ground, perhaps NK citizens will be impressed enough.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am still amazed that the Kim o'Tool family hasnt come up with their own "korean" language. Shouldnt it be below them to speak the same language as the south to a god like creature?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
i am still amazed that the Kim o'Tool family hasnt come up with their own "korean" language. Shouldnt it be below them to speak the same language as the south to a god like creature?

They would use very different words, phrases, symbols and euphemisms. Grammar still same, but will feel very different.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Borrowing from OS X? I think not. To me, the North Koreans seem to be working on OS XI here.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
original.jpg

Shall we play a game?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I think that's kinda cool actually. NK is ballsy if nothing else.

NK is beyond ballsy. They have (at times) even stood up to insult their patron and largest supporter, China.

Reminds me of the story when China once sent a train of foods and supplies to North Korean border. On arrival, the North Koreans emptied all the goods from their benefactor China. Furthermore, the NK soldiers also confiscated and claimed property on the Chinese railcars. The Chinese train conductors and engineers were told to get out and had to run to the border to return to China.

I'd say, NK is a nation-state that really knows no fear. When you are fearless, you can do just about anything. Nothing is impossible. Not even unicorns.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Seriously?

Good grief, people. "Red Star" is just another version of Linux running a KDE 3.x desktop that's been customized to look similar to OS X.

100304-redstar-01.jpg

It's Linux -- install Macbuntu on a stock Ubuntu installation, or change the default Linux desktop theme yourself -- virtually anyone can easily achieve an OSX-look with almost any flavor or Linux (see below).

158583-1.jpg

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Theres already a pretty decent Mac like OS around, its called Elementary OS, and its pretty decent with some Linux knowledge you can do a lot with it... I've got it running in a Parallels VM and runs rather well. Even its version of iTunes is a decent runner....

I like it because I can install it on a cheap laptop I can carry around when I need to do really basic stuff on the go but don't want to take my MacBook with me and I wouldn't buy a Windows craptop if you paid me!

elementary-desktop-4.jpg

elementary_os_luna_desktop__25_09_2012__by_fabianinostroza-d5g0j2g.png

spotify-in-elementary-os.png

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
North Koreans, South Koreans. Mortal brotherly enemies. But they both agree on one thing: Copying from Apple is the way to go.

I feel offended as a someone of Korean descent, not all Koreans copy.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Quite a remarkable job, given that they built the UI from the ground up (I suppose).

At least the poor people of NK get something that looks and probably works somewhat like a Mac! Let them enjoy it as much as they can...

One of the many ironies here though is that they're copying an OS that was built by their Eternal Enemy: the USA...

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Apple has a standing army of.... how many? They might have introduce "the iDraft" and push into service all these bloggers here and throughout to reprimand N. Korea for being bold and naughty. :D

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The courts already ruled on a a similar case nearly 20 years ago. Here's the short version: Apple lost.

Here's the long version.

Haha yes, unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember this! While this is a blow by blow homage to OSX, the funniest thing would he watching Tims trained lawyers try and infiltrate Pyongyang.

Maybe they'd instigate legal proceedings if they ever manage to open an Apple Store there :p ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.