Not as my main...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by UmbraDiaboli, Aug 17, 2012.

1. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to ask around to check on other ppls opinion. I will make it straight-forward:

I will not have iOS6 as my main iPhone OS until way after its release.

Right now, I do not have it as my main on my iPhones. I do however have it on my test iPhones for development purposes. But the fact that I feel it is getting quite bloated with useless gimmicks (Twitter, now Facebook, etc) which are very intrusive to my privacy, the UI seems less simple and minimalistic (that's just the feeling I get). Finally, the fact that their Maps App is, so far VERY unconvincing (I know its a Beta, it may turn to be awesome in the end) and they've removed YouTube (which I use all the time as I much prefer it to the browser to check the new uploads from my subscriptions).

Right now as a Beta, I feel it is lacking and can't be used as a main OS. It is great for my test devices and development, but not as a main. It is quite contrary to ML - their dev previews were awesome from the very beginning and I used them as my main all the time.

Well, I just wanted to see how many users share the same opinion or completely disagree. I am very open to criticism :) it is fine; if you disagree, go ahead and let me know your reasons.

Regards,
    Umbra Diaboli

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I won't update to iPhone OS 6 at all. One of the worst updates ever. Take back YouTube, takes back Google Maps. Moreover, bloating it with FB and more Twitter integration. Something I don't need and which is why there are apps for those services.

3. throys macrumors 6502

To be honest since beta 1 it's been used as my man iOS and also many users around the world. It's still early days and I think apple just amend, tweaked , added and taken out stuff to enable a better user friendly iOS which to compete with its competitor.
    Regarding FB & twitter this has been integrated in android for a very longtime and it's something which I feel personally was missing. If you don't use any one of this you don't need to use it. Added features like privacy, do not disturb and mail enhancement, share photo stream etc is a nice welcome and don't forget enhance Siri.
    Maps n YouTube is just a tactical move by apple to have complete control of their iOS and to make strong competition. Battery life is better than iOS 5 although still in beta. We should wait for final release of the iOS to make complete opinion of it I think but different users will have different take in it and my take is that it's a gradual move forward with a lot if overdue fixes and enhancement which probably should have been there in the beginning like FaceTime over 3G and the phone call enhancement too.
    Just my 2 cents have a nice day. :)

4. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

For me, the added features don't make up for the removed features. Flyover is a cool tech demo but won't be useful to me since it seems to only be available in larger cities. I don't have confidence in TomTom to make their 2D map data as good as Google's. However, when Google puts their maps back in the app store, I'll upgrade my phone. I'll still have detailed mature maps and street view in my area. I hope it can be set as the default. I'm sure they will probably hold back on the API side to make the experience artificially worse (it's why no other browser scrolls as smoothly as safari).

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

From Apple? All time?

Google plans to develop its own build of Youtube app

You can't seriously believe Apple maps is worse than the iPhone version of google maps, which has no useful application, specifically when it comes to Nav.

These require installation of an app, which is optional.

There are and you don't need to install them.

6. UmbraDiaboli thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you. I will not upgrade until I see Google puts a YouTube and Maps app on the Store.

Regards,
    Umbra Diaboli

7. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I don't see how iOS 6 is worse than iOS 5 granted its not what we all had hoped for but there are some nice features and the features you do not like you do not have to use, plain and simple.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You'll find this forum is full of things you don't understand. People with iPhone 4 are still running 4.3.1. It is what it is. I, for one, have never had a problem upgrading my phone with Apple. Yeah the battery varies, but generally speaking everything is still solid.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone's usage and needs are different

I for one, have never used the YouTube app, period
    I have no need for it and would never notice it was gone

As for maps, I use Navigon now
    So if Apple improves on that experience, great
    If not, won't bother me

I look forward to iOS 6 as I do any other update

10. rick98761 macrumors 6502

My bet is google will have maps and YouTube ready day one. In fact they have tried to submit maps several times and got turned down because google maps was built in.

11. wharzhee macrumors 6502

sources, please?

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, who else? Yes, after all there have been only 5 previous iterations of the software.

Source?

Apple maps are bad in terms of details. All they have for them is 3D, which is a gimmick. I'd rather have street view over that 3D crap. Navigation wise, I'd take Google once again over Apple's current solution.

Yet the backbone and all framework is already baked into the OS, downloading the app just makes the options available. In other words, all that bloat is there from the start.

No they are not. All you really have to do is download the face of the entire applications but everything else is there. That is just bloatware for those who do not wish to use those services.

13. SR71 macrumors 68000

Throughout all of the betas so far for iOS 6, Apple's Maps have been updated to include increasingly more information from beta to beta, and sure the 3D Flyover may be a gimmick, but why would you use Google Maps that are in iOS 5 over the Apple Maps in iOS 6? The Google Maps forces you to click and click and click everytime you reach a point where theres a turn so that you have to READ a new set of directions. It expects you to do this WHILE DRIVING. For this reason alone, I would never use Google Maps. Apple Maps gives you turn-by-turn directions that are spoken aloud so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to read directions. Apple Maps also follow you so you don't need to keep clicking after you get to a certain point so that you can see the rest of your directions.

So? I'd expect "that bloat" to be less than 50-100MB if that, and it's not using up ANY RAM or ANY of your CPU if you do not have these services running. They are effectively off and waiting for your command on when to turn them on.

It doesn't get in the way of the user, it doesn't use up any RAM or CPU if the user doesn't want to use those services. If the user doesn't use these services, then it effectively is off, as I said above. I seriously wouldn't even call this bloat.

I'm no Apple fanboy (I have multiple Android devices that I've rooted and tweaked to my hearts desire), but your reasons are invalid, IMO.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes Google states it is working, but until it is out, it is all but vapor. Not that I doubt Google, I just use their mapping and video services quite a lot. Yes I do use YouTube app a lot and will find it hard to replace easily. I don't like the browser approach.

Yes, but how long till Apple catches up to Google's level of cartography? It'll be a long wait.

Blame Apple for not working with Google on this. Although both are to blame, Apple should have pushed harder on a feature that used to be advertised as a selling point for it. Remember "Calamari" ad?

Bloat doesn't mean CPU and/or RAM consumption, it also means space consumption and bigger OS footprint.

See above.

That is your opinion. Feel free to continue to disagree.

15. SR71 macrumors 68000

Now those reasons are valid points. Also, thanks for keeping the discussion civil instead of just going all "OMFG UR AN ISHEEP OMG!!111!ONE!!!1!!1". We'll have to wait and see. Should only be a few weeks if the rumors are to be believed.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I never call anyone an iSheep unless they show a long prolonged history of being said way.

Also, I highly disregard my post as having said tone. But in any case, I stand by my words as iPhone OS 6 as the worst update ever (or so far). Why not let the user decide which service to use. I sure as hell don't want to use Apple's maps yet.

17. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

If FB is added like Twitter was, as an optional install in iOS that shows up only in one part of settings and nowhere else unless you enable it, I would not call that "bloat". I will probably never use Twitter or Facebook, and I will upgrade to iOS 6 as soon as a jailbreak and some Cydia apps that I want are available for it.

18. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Lop the removed features = google maps and YouTube app, both available for app store download.. Give me a break you won't update because of that, that's rediculous. Apples maps will have turn by turn, something google never provided for us. But I guess that takes away from all the other qualities of ios 6 and makes it "not worth it"

19. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Google stated that a YouTube app would be available on the App Store in that MacRumors article that announced that the app had been removed.

I don't care about the YouTube app. Just use it in-browser.

20. wharzhee macrumors 6502

i wanted the sources for the map statement. ty though.

21. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

The same people complaining that they integrated FB and Twitter adds bloat, then complain that they removed Maps and YouTube. Its the same difference. Plenty of people thought the youtube app was bloat and the maps weren't very useful without full nav.

I personally want to see any app be able to register itself as a provider of a type of service. Then in the settings the user can pick which provider he/she wishes to use for that type of service.

Browser
    SMS
    RSS
    Music
    Video
    Social
    Stocks
    Weather
    etc.

Defaults selected by the user for all. The providers must simply conform to sending/recieving particular messages from the OS.

22. BlankStar macrumors regular

For the people who whine that the outdated YouTube app is gone; just put a youtube.com bookmark on your homescreen. Et Voila, like magic!

:p

I got TomTom on my iPhone and use maps anyhow; I'm in love with the no-clutter approach, the screen is so empty and not distracting... Also love when you come at a cross-road the view dynamicly goes to 2D overhead and back to 3D after you turned...

And the correct map data discussion is a load of B$, cause all data has incorrect places and every company is busy updating their stuff.
    I've seen data that is way more detailed in Maps that in Google maps and the other way around. Just depends on the place you look at.

23. irDigital0l Guest

Google is releasing a better YouTube app for the App Store.

Apple replaced a crappy Google maps app with a better Apple one.

You can disable FB and Twitter integration so it shouldn't annoy you.

24. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I use iOS 6 on both my ipad and iPhone and its awesome how they seamlessly interact with each other. also I've found the latest beta stable enough for daily use, can't complain about anything really...

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Clearly you have been drinking too much Apple Kool-Aid. Go back and read the arguments kid... There has been a logical and clear explanation (throughout the thread) as to why your points are not valid.