Not blown away by retina display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kre62, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kre62, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

kre62 macrumors 68000

I woke up early to grab my new ipad. This is my first one. After powering it up, I have to say that I wasn't blown away by the display. I have 2 iPhone 4S, and I think both have better displays. The new iPad display looks kinda dingy to me. I had to turn the brightness all the way up before it looked decent. Compared to one of my 4S phones, it's much warmer. Are all iPads warmer in color temp then the 4S? I thought that since all screens were samsung this time there would be no variations.

*Edit 2*
    I wasnt impressed by my screen cause it was not correct, and was defective. It had a yellow cast to it. Heres what the new iPad should look like:
    http://www.phonedog.com/videos/apple-ipad-3-unboxing-new-ipad/
    In this video you can see white whites, nice and bluish on the settings menu, gorgeous. If your screen looks like this guys, congrats, you won the screen lottery. For everyone who has a yellowish screen TAKE. IT.BACK. do not put up with Apple hoping the masses will accept mediocrity so they can produce more pads.

*Edit*

Many have confirmed the defect of the yellow screen in the new iPad. Its not all iPads. It's also not glue. It's a defect, just like the yellow screens at the launch of the 3GS. And the 4. And the 4S. Apple can not get it right. Here are some great comparison shots from Fry Man. To all those that say "get glasses bro", I'll say that if you cant tell the difference between these three displays, YOU are the one that needs the glasses. This is about color tint, not text sharpness.

Fry Man:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/201203163.jpg/

This is a shot of this thread. When I looked at the OP's pic of his bad screen on my bad screen I laughed out loud; it really is laughably bad in person.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/201203162.jpg/

This last one is the only one I needed to see to be out on this screen. The second that keyboard pulled up I knew that iPad was going back.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/201203161.jpg/

*Edit 3:*

Props to my man Fry Man for getting referenced on the MR home page. THis is 100% a defect and is not intentional. I fyou have yellow tint, get rid of that thing.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You should probably return it then!

Also, make sure that you are viewing things that are taking advantage of the resolution. You might be the first person who isn't amazed by it

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow. I am staring an my old iPad 2 and my new iPad, and just looking at the home screen I can tell the difference. You need to get your eyes checked son. :cool:

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

5. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Didnt say it wasnt clear, it is, just the colors arent popping like I thought. Wondering if people are finding the Ipad has a cooler or warmer temp then their iPhones? I want to know if this is normal or not. If not I'll swap it out, if so I'll just return it and go iPad-less.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd say the iPad is an expensive device to have if you don't particularly care for it. Just return it and get something else. I spend over 1K on my iPad (with Applecare) and if I'm not thrilled with it when I receive it then its going back.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Likely this varies from iPad to iPad too. Last year, when I was trying to find an iPad 2 without color bleed, some had a nice cool tone, some had a warm yellow tone.

8. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Its OK, but nothing stunning and I'm disappointed. I think my Macbook air has spoiled me.

I'll keep it a few days but I have a feeling its going back.

9. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Normal?

Is this normal? Kinda tough to tell but iPhone is much more blueish at same brightness level.

[​IMG]

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I see what you mean. It's hard to judge the *picture* of another screen posted on the internet, but if its as yellow and washed out as it seems to appear then I'd at least try to swap it--if not return it.

11. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

Wow. okie dokie.

If you're not blown away, then something is wrong with you or the iPad.

99.99% of everybody else is blown away.

Not sure the title of the read needs to be that....

12. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I have to say that I am seriously sick to death of trying to pray for clear displays with Apple products. I've been dealing with this since the 3GS. I dont know why they dont give a color temp opton. Since this is my first iPad, I wanted to make sure others have clearer displays, or if Apple intentionally does a warm tint in the pad. Seems like it shouldnt be this dingy.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

That comparison is certainly interesting.

But, you will invariably, unduly cause concern by these types of side-by side
    comparisons.

Try this with any two screens, from ANY source.

14. brandon8419 macrumors member

Bummer to hear yours isn't up to par. I just got mine and am reading a book on the Kindle app and the text looks incredible - especially when reading with a black background and white text .

I did notice one thing though - my battery life is already dropping like crazy..is that normal? I assume it's fine since it has yet to be charged by me

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hard to tell, but it looks like the white balance on your photo is off in the first place so no one will be able to tell.

EDIT: I am judging from the thing under your iPad which looks like it should be a white piece of paper. But it is yellow.

16. wratran macrumors regular

During the keynotes...they even mentioned...
    that at reading level...a human eye can not tell the pixel difference...

MARKETING GIMMICKS TO SELL OLD TECHNOLOGY

No one read the ipad at microscopic level.
    Just pay attention to their advertising campaign...everyone of them...zoom in to the edge of a letter.

We dont zoom in that close to use the ipad

17. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Took the pic with a 4S with HDR on, thats what I have to work with right now.

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

WTF? :D

You didn't plug it in right away. Geesh, I always do that (for the exact fears your describing) :D

19. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Try to read in the sun/daylight with no shade.
    The glare is atrocious. :D

20. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

My battery has dropped about 30% with about 1-1.5 hour of use, hoping its cause it's first discharge, usually goes quicker.

21. rgr555 macrumors 6502

i could see the improvement right away

the difference is especially apparent in the settings menu for me

22. 99problems macrumors newbie

I would describe mine as warm but not yellow and ugly like my iPhone 4

23. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Settings menu is where I really notice the yellow. If I turn brightness on max its OK. Sounds like I got a bad pad.

24. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I think the display on my new iPad is amazing! Compared to my iPad 2, much deeper colors and the temp color on my is more of a neutral/warm but more neutral, the only thing is with my mine, it seems to be slower than my iPad 2 might need to just start it all over again with a clean install and fresh start

25. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

You need to hold the new iPad 12 inches from your face or less.
    Any further away you won't be able to tell the difference between any of the iPads.

It's like when people buy a 60" 1080p HDTV and sit 10 feet away and say it looks no different in PQ than a 60" 720p HDTV.

Once you hit a certain distance away from the screen, the higher resolution becomes less of a benefit.

*I think most people who are upgrading are holding their new iPad 5 inches from their face. Of course it looks better. :p