Not Cool

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by shurcooL, Jun 13, 2012.

1. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

One could have walked into an Apple store on March 1, 2011 and purchased the latest and greatest most expensive model of the iPad available at that time.

It would've been the original iPad, as that was a day before iPad 2 was even announced, and weeks before it was available for sale, especially in other countries such as Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK.

And then what do you know, only 1 year and 3 months later you would find out your new iPad is no longer being supported and will not be getting the upcoming version of iOS 6.

Does that seem too quick to anyone? From latest and greatest to not supported in just 1 year and 3 months?

2. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

3. shurcooL, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, and it was sold until March 2011. Not everyone buys Apple products on the first day.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You could have also returned said iPad the next day, gotten your money back, and bought an iPad 2.

But, in general, that's technology for you, especially when we're talking about the first generation of a piece of technology.

5. matttye macrumors 601

Kinda irrelevant. It was still the flagship tablet device just over a year ago.

Tablets are laptop competitors and, if anything, should be supported for longer than smartphones. I bet the business customers that have adopted iPads are pissed right now.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Businesses also tend to adopt technology and upgrades at a slower pace than consumers.

::written from my work laptop that is still running Windows XP::

7. shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

They only announced iPad 2 on March 2, but it wasn't up for sale until March 11 in the US, March 25 in many other countries, and even later in Japan, etc.

What if you bought it a month earlier and couldn't return it?

I know technology gets outdated, but all I'm saying here is that IMO a device should be supported for 2 years after it stops being sold or 3 years after it was released (whichever is sooner), not 1 year after it stops being sold/2 years after release...

8. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

No, it wasn't. iPad 2 was released March 11, 2011. 16 months ago. Nice try though.

About as pissed off as all the Android tablets that can't/don't/won't run Ice Cream Sandwich. Which would be about zero, as they never sold to begin with. :D :D :D

9. shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

What Apple is saying with this move is that if you buy the new iPad with Retina display today, it might not be able to run the latest iOS in just 2 years from now. Would you want to buy it knowing that?

10. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Not getting the latest version of the OS != No longer supported.

11. Brammy macrumors 65816

Absolutely.

I can't make a purchase today wondering what it will do for me in 2 years. I buy it for what it can do for me today.

12. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I mean what exactly do you want them to do? If the hardware won't support it they have no option. You people claim you are getting a watered down version of iOS 6 on the 3Gs and iPhone 4, could you imagine how watered down it'd be on the original iPad? Then you'd really have something to complain about. People are going to complain either way.

As others have said, that is tech. It sucks, but it's reality. Not even ten years ago we were using phones with colorless screens.

13. matttye macrumors 601

15 months ago, and that's what I said - just over a year ago. :rolleyes:

This thread is about the iPad, why are you bringing Android into it? I don't care about or want an Android tablet. The ones I've tried are rubbish, iPad is way better.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well if we're going to get into semantics about release dates in certain countries vs. announcement dates, etc., there were rumblings of the ipad 2 for months before hand. If someone was that incredibly concerned with having the latest and greatest piece of tech, they would probably have done their research.

I get where you're coming from but... that's how it's been with iOS devices since the beginning. When iOS 3.0 came out the original iPhone been out for two years and got very limited support, but if I recall correctly it also ran like **** because the guts of the device just weren't up to the task.

If we want our devices to continue to get better (and get better faster), then sacrificing older generations has to occur.

Besides, the original iPad is still being "supported." The apple store will still service that original ipad (and if you bought apple care it's still under warranty). It's just stuck on iOS 5 (which, to be honest, is better than being stuck on iOS 2 like the original iPhone essentially was).

15. shurcooL, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

But the iPad was released after 3GS and before iPhone 4, so it shouldn't be weaker than the 3GS.

Anyway, it just sucks the original iPad had such a short life, that's all. I hope the newer models are supported for 3 years.

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Agree.

One reason iPad is so popular is compatibility.
    Developers can make iPad app that will work on ALL iPads (except for camera and gyro).

Dropping support for iPad 1 will knock off 20~30 million iPad of the total, radically constraining new apps compatibility.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

One great selling point of Apple products is the significantly longer useful working life of the machines.

iPad 1 barely outlived contemporary Android tablets thanks to 1 major iOS upgrade, but not much more. To support it longer would truly dent the usefulness of A-tabs.

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I own and still use a 1st Gen iPad and it works fine its intended purpose. There are many far more compelling reasons to upgrade to the 3rd gen iPad than iOS6.

19. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Here's a few things to think about.

1. The iPad 1 and the iPhone both have 256mb of RAM to play around with. (So everything is the same so far, but thats it)

2. The iPad is no longer sold, Apple isn't going to sell a product that isn't being supported. (That will prob change when they drop the iPhone 4 to the Free on contract spot where the 3GS is at)

3. The Display on the 3GS is only 480 x 320 where the iPad 1 has a display of 1024 x 768. So its already using up 3x the amount of RAM just to power the display.

So when the running apps on the iPad, the developer already has less room to play with, hence why A LOT of apps don't run properly on the iPad 1. So add that with a new OS loaded on to it now 2 times over and there is no more room to do anything more.

20. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Not quite how RAM and graphics work together...but your point is still valid. The same hardware has to run a lot harder on the iPad than it does on the 3GS because of the screen size. Factor in new apps requiring a lot more graphical power and the ipad wouldn't be able to handle it at all.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Oh the irony! Do u even realize how stupid the above post is?

22. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

If you buy an ipad less 14 days (maybe 30?) before announcing new one you can exchange. If you buy it after announcing new one, well, you're an idiot.

Why would you buy a new iPad in march when you should know, "Hmmmm Apple generally releases things a year-ish apart? Should I wait? Should I have enough sense to google "iPad 2" for rumors??"

23. soy macrumors member

soy

2 things: (not giving an opinion, just 2 facts)

- In the User Agreement for the iPad (all generations) it says that the iPad will get at least one major iOS upgrade. The original iPad received 2: iOS 4(.2) and iOS 5.

- The original iPad won't stop working in October. It'll still be able to do every single thing it can do today, and for many years to come.

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Your points are completely valid, but I don't know about "years to come." my iPod tough 1G has been rendered useless for almost 2 years now. As almost all apps require 4.0. :/

25. bp1000, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

bp1000 macrumors 65816

Weird thread

I think you've completely missed the point.

If apple back supported old hardware it limits the possibilities going forward. Apple developers would have to make their apps compatible for all versions of the iPad which would put to waste the increases in memory, screen and processing the new iPads have. Apps are a huge part of he iPad experience and apps will continue to innovate and become even more impressive given the latest hardware.

It's a tough call as the origonal iPad accounts for a large portion of the market still.

Apple have always been about user experience. If you put ios 6 on old harware, which you could do it might run sluggish and slow for certain things, it would also be restricted. I'm surprised it's going to be available for the 3GS albeit very limited functionality. Even now some of the latest retina apps struggle on the original iPad. It's still an awesome tablet and it will continue to be providing it is stable and isn't bogged down with code destined for newer hardware.

Also there is no excuse for complaining that the original iPad was on sale just over a year ago. Practically the whole world knew the new iPad (2) was going to be released.