Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
One could have walked into an Apple store on March 1, 2011 and purchased the latest and greatest most expensive model of the iPad available at that time.

It would've been the original iPad, as that was a day before iPad 2 was even announced, and weeks before it was available for sale, especially in other countries such as Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK.

And then what do you know, only 1 year and 3 months later you would find out your new iPad is no longer being supported and will not be getting the upcoming version of iOS 6.

Does that seem too quick to anyone? From latest and greatest to not supported in just 1 year and 3 months?

Actually by the time iOS 6 is released, That would be 1 year 7 months. 2.5 years since it launched. As, based on last year with iOS 5, iOS 6 will be out around October....

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
What if you bought it a month earlier and couldn't return it?

But you didn't. You could easily have returned it, but chose not to. The only person you have to blame for your pickle is yourself. If I had bought an iPad and the iPad 2 was announced the very next day, you can bet that I would have returned my original iPad that same day.

No, it wasn't. iPad 2 was released March 11, 2011. 16 months ago. Nice try though.

16 months is something I'd consider a little over a year.

I get where you're coming from but... that's how it's been with iOS devices since the beginning. When iOS 3.0 came out the original iPhone been out for two years and got very limited support, but if I recall correctly it also ran like **** because the guts of the device just weren't up to the task.

A good point, but with one fatal flaw. The 3GS is also getting iOS 6. If the 3GS can run it, there's no possible way the original iPad can't. It's significantly faster than the 3GS. I'd say OP has a point that the iPad 1 really should be getting iOS 6 since a slower machine is also getting it. Just like the 3rd gen iPod Touch should really get iOS 6, seeing as it has the same hardware as the 3GS. At the same time, Apple is ultimately in it for the money, and this seems a good way to make it to me...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I agree. I kinda got used to the 2 year average Apple support thing but now that they support the iPhone 3GS in iOS 6 without every single feature, why couldn't Apple support the orginal iPad too?

Facebook integration, iCloud tabs in Safari, redesigned iTunes, App Store, and iBooks, and clock app?

I would be totally fine with those...

but nothing for iPad 1...

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
But you didn't. You could easily have returned it, but chose not to. The only person you have to blame for your pickle is yourself. If I had bought an iPad and the iPad 2 was announced the very next day, you can bet that I would have returned my original iPad that same day.

16 months is something I'd consider a little over a year.

A good point, but with one fatal flaw. The 3GS is also getting iOS 6. If the 3GS can run it, there's no possible way the original iPad can't. It's significantly faster than the 3GS. I'd say OP has a point that the iPad 1 really should be getting iOS 6 since a slower machine is also getting it. Just like the 3rd gen iPod Touch should really get iOS 6, seeing as it has the same hardware as the 3GS. At the same time, Apple is ultimately in it for the money, and this seems a good way to make it to me...

The 3GS is still being sold, the original iPad isn't. They have to give the 3GS iOS 6 due to that. Even tho it's only getting 1% of the features. Apple wants people to ditch the original iPad and get the new one, they're a business. It makes sense from that point of view....

Suspended
Jun 8, 2009
Kentucky, USA
The iPad was updated to iOS 4 and 5. The hardware can no longer support it. It sucks, but that's how it works. Why don't people remember the 3G's iOS 4 experience?

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'm sure they tested it plenty on the original iPad and came to the conclusion that it just wouldn't run well enough. A 1ghz processor, 256 megabytes of RAM and a large screen don't go well together with modern hardware. I'd rather have slightly less features than a ton of lag.

I'm guessing the only reason that the 3GS is getting iOS 6 is because they're still selling it for free on contract. The original iPad isn't being sold anymore.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
What Apple is saying with this move is that if you buy the new iPad with Retina display today, it might not be able to run the latest iOS in just 2 years from now. Would you want to buy it knowing that?

Apple has never made any guarantees that any of there IOS devices will receive any upgrade or any new features.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
What Apple is saying with this move is that if you buy the new iPad with Retina display today, it might not be able to run the latest iOS in just 2 years from now. Would you want to buy it knowing that?

I seldom keep a device longer than six months before selling it to help me buy something else, alternatively my B list devices gets passed to family, so yes I would still buy one if it had features that were attractive to me.

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Apple has never made any guarantees that any of there IOS devices will receive any upgrade or any new features.

They did:

Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time totime, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the versionof iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. Forexample, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide youwith any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.xsoftware release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the newsoftware features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.

As the iPad shipped (in the second half of it being on sale) with 4.x, so they guarantee updating it to 5.x. Anything beyond that isn't guaranteed.

The iPad 2 will still be sold with iOS 6 probably (between October 2012 and March 2013) so will get an update to 7.x.

(which is also the reason why the 3GS is getting iOS 6, as it's still on sale with iOS 5 at the moment)

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The 3GS is only really getting iOS 6 for security updates. It's getting barely any new features, the 3GS is only living on so Apple can continue to push it in prepaid markets as their budget model. It'll be discontinued soon and the iPhone 4 will become the new prepaid model.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Actually, I couldn't care less about my 1G touch. And I don't expect it to be supported, nor did I claim otherwise. And no, you absolutely CANNOT download many, many apps from the app store as it will tell you it requires iOS x.x. You're chastising others and claiming to be an adult when your lash out was as childish and irrelevant as anyone's, not to mention completely uncalled for. Either do some research or only say what you know for a fact. :apple:

I'm sick of people talking out of their ass. It's one thing to disagree or oppose an idea of another, but don't overreact so much especially given that 1) you obviously don't know what you're talking about, and 2) my original statement was actually agreeing with you and I merely pointed something out.

I'm curious about the apps that you can't download because you are an older iOS version. Are they mostly games?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Actually by the time iOS 6 is released, That would be 1 year 7 months. 2.5 years since it launched. As, based on last year with iOS 5, iOS 6 will be out around October....

This is a key point. 19 months is not "just over a year". Additionally Apple is NOT ending support for the original iPad. It will continue to work with new apps appropriate to it's specs for a long time to come. Developers know there are a lot of gen 1 iPads in the market and will continue to provide compatibility.

The bigger issue isn't the software at all. Even under iOS5 the original iPad is memory constrained. This make the device much less stable for even basic tasks like browsing with multiple tabs.

Anybody who buys a first gen product of an entirely new product category should not expect a long life cycle. The first device is a testing ground to refine what is needed. The diference in USING an iPad1 vs iPad2 is stagering.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I'm curious about the apps that you can't download because you are an older iOS version. Are they mostly games?

Eventually iOS 6 will be required, just as things started to require iOS 5 at some point. It's the logical progression of the platform. I have quite a few non game apps which require iOS 5, for example...I don't get too excited about it, as I'll have a newer device again by the time a flood of apps start to require 6...

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Eventually iOS 6 will be required, just as things started to require iOS 5 at some point. It's the logical progression of the platform. I have quite a few non game apps which require iOS 5, for example...I don't get too excited about it, as I'll have a newer device again by the time a flood of apps start to require 6...

Yes. It will be required but there are currently 100,000+ iPad apps available and correct me if I'm wrong but the 1st gen iPad supports iOS 5 so plenty of apps available now. So once you have those apps and iOS 6 doesn't magically get removed. I get iPad 1st gen won't get new apps that only support iOS 6 or updates to apps but there are a ton of apps that will take awhile before they get a iOS 6 requirement if at all. It's not as if the iPad 1st gen will become unusable. It will still work and there will still be tons of apps available.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The 3GS is still being sold, the original iPad isn't. They have to give the 3GS iOS 6 due to that. Even tho it's only getting 1% of the features. Apple wants people to ditch the original iPad and get the new one, they're a business. It makes sense from that point of view....

Uhhh, yes, hence the last sentence of my post you quoted. Did you read the whole thing before saying the same thing I did?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
No, it wasn't. iPad 2 was released March 11, 2011. 16 months ago. Nice try though.

About as pissed off as all the Android tablets that can't/don't/won't run Ice Cream Sandwich. Which would be about zero, as they never sold to begin with. :D :D :D

Pretty much every honeycomb tablet already has or will get an update to android 4.0. None of the manufacturers have said they will not recieve it and most already have rolled the updates out. The motorola Xoom, Asus transformer, and Acer Iconia all have recieved 4.0 updates. They also all recieved android 3.1 and 3.2 updates when they were released as well.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Once again, you better be buying your iPad for the features it has at the current time. Added features are a bonus and should not be expected.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
One could have walked into an Apple store on March 1, 2011 and purchased the latest and greatest most expensive model of the iPad available at that time.

It would've been the original iPad, as that was a day before iPad 2 was even announced, and weeks before it was available for sale, especially in other countries such as Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK.

And then what do you know, only 1 year and 3 months later you would find out your new iPad is no longer being supported and will not be getting the upcoming version of iOS 6.

Does that seem too quick to anyone? From latest and greatest to not supported in just 1 year and 3 months?

Welcome to electronics in general.

2.5 years of life on a mobile device is quite good. Remember iOS 6 isn't coming out until fall. Not to mention technology would never move forward if older devices didn't get left behind.

I'm an iPad 1 owner, and I'm not sad that iOS 6 isn't supported on my device because I know iOS 5 will work just fine.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
What about Android phones that only support the OS version it includes? My mother bought an Android after the release of ICS that only supports up to Android 2.2. To be honest, Apple's ahead of the pack as far as supporting updates go. I completely understand their support scheme for iOS 6 -- simply support all the devices they're still selling. And generally, of you start a contract with the latest iPhone, you'll be supported with the latest iOS version right up until the end of your contract.

And besides, smart shoppers would check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide :D Or at least do some kind of research, or even just return it once the latest iPad is announced. No point keeping it if you know it's out of date and you can get the latest one at no additional cost.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
people need to quit whining about updates... if you don't like it, go buy an android or whatever device and see if you get even 1 update after a year. :rolleyes:

You buy a device for what it does today... anything that is added in future is just a bonus!

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010

Why would you buy the original iPad a year after it's released? That's your fault. You should've known there was a new iPad coming.

You essentially bought a one-year-old device for the same price that the new device sold for, two weeks later.

SeaSalt

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
To each their own. Welcome to the world of technology. I'm amazed the 3GS is getting IOS6 in any form (no matter how neutered) but the fact is, even with equal specs, it takes a lot more "UMPH" to generate the same experience on the larger screen of the iPad versus the small screen of the 3GS.

Remember when Apple unleashed iOS4 and the iPhone 3G came to a halt running it? I'm sure IOS6 on the original iPad would befit a similar experience and Apple wanted no part of it.

At the end of the day, you have a decision to make. Continue to enjoy your original iPad, which is not rendered unusable by the release of iOS6, or upgrade and move along. That's the way tech works.

Patronage is the refuge of the weak. I'd say you are being obtuse but then again you aren't. You just aren't bright enought to comprehend the conversation. Run along lad.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

I'd just like to say first that the iPad 1 is a bad device. Anyway:

The iPad came with iOS 3 originally. That is 3 versions behind iOS 6. Do you think Apple is going to give you 3 free OS upgrades? I think they should just charge money to upgrade the iPad 1 to iOS 6 after 2 free upgrades, but they (of course) want you to just buy the new one.

----------

Once again, you better be buying your iPad for the features it has at the current time. Added features are a bonus and should not be expected.

^^This.

Apple is obviously not a company who gives out free support for a long time (as shown in the past). I'm not dissing Apple or comparing it to other companies, but I'm just saying, "You should have known what you were getting into." Don't expect them to give you 3 free upgrades.

If the iPad 1 you got running whatever iOS it came with before was OK, then it is OK now. Nobody complains about their cars not getting free upgrades or their TVs not suddenly becoming HD.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
The iPad 1 is already dying, it has the processor of the iPhone 3GS, and only 256mb of ram, I imagine the iPad 2 will last a little longer than the ipad 1 did.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Don't take this the wrong way but it could be worse.. You apple guys are spoiled lol... My mom bought a Motorola Droid X2 in July of last year. It was a top line Verizon offering, shipped with Android 2.3. Android 4.0 was introduced in October..... Her phone will never see an update. It will stay on 2.3 with only bug fixes.

Apple is far ahead of google in ensuring that when you buy a device at least your guaranteed to get 1 if not 2 bumps in OS version before you start losing features or not getting the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.