Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Why are people rubbing it in his face over his disappointment? His argument is not technically valid but its has its own merit. He is assuming that a device that launched 2 years ago should be supported like the iPhone 4 who is also launched 2 years ago. Simple as that.

The OP might be suggesting that they might have just supported the iPad and put iOS 6 but simply have watered features, similar to the 3GS. Placing passbook on the original iPad doesn't seem to be hardware intensive, the UI changes also aren't hardware intensive. Maybe for maps, somehow perhaps yes.

But I think the most basic reason why apple has decided to drop the original iPad is mainly because they no longer sell it and hence has no outright commitment to support it as there are no longer any more new orginal iPad Buyers. If there is, they would be obliged to support the original iPad as there are still customers who buys the original iPad. Same goes for the 3GS and 4.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
One could have walked into an Apple store on March 1, 2011 and purchased the latest and greatest most expensive model of the iPad available at that time.

It would've been the original iPad, as that was a day before iPad 2 was even announced, and weeks before it was available for sale, especially in other countries such as Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK.

And then what do you know, only 1 year and 3 months later you would find out your new iPad is no longer being supported and will not be getting the upcoming version of iOS 6.

Does that seem too quick to anyone? From latest and greatest to not supported in just 1 year and 3 months?

one could also return they tablet for a full refund, on march 2, 2011

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Consumers, in general (not saying forum members here), are stupid. There was a day where people would research products for weeks before they went out and purchased them. This was before the internet. In today's age, a simple search for iPad on March 1, 2011 would have given you an exorbitant amount of news about the keynote presentation and the imminent release of the iPad 2. If people were to do just a little research, they would be able to make the decision to wait or to carry on and purchase an iPad. The Consumer has no one to blame but themselves.

I'll say it again, Consumers are stupid.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
Maybe it's just me but I really don't care that my first gen (and only) iPad doesn't get iOS6. It would most likely be so watered down and/or slow anyway (or so they say) that I don't think it's a big deal. It will still function the way I currently use it. Yes moving forward it's not going to get the new functions but everything will still work perfectly fine as it is right now. It's not like in October it will magically stop working and blow up. Honestly, I could see me using it as it is now for at least another year, then give it to my little boy for him to mess around with and I'll go get an iPad 4 ;)

As others have mentioned just because it's not supported doesn't mean it's not going to work. Over the years I have stretched out the life of many devices/software longer then their support. I understand the frustration and just saying "well this is tech and that's the way it is" doesn't curb the sting but how often do we buy a car or a TV or whatever and 3 days later something newer or better is announced.

I think that iPad 1 should get iOS 6 if for no other reason than compatibility.

If Apple wants to push updates by removing capabilities, that's fine. Give it the "iPhone 3gs" treatment. But slowly over the next couple years apps are going to require "iOS 6 and up only" and that will suck for iPad 1 users.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
I think that iPad 1 should get iOS 6 if for no other reason than compatibility.

If Apple wants to push updates by removing capabilities, that's fine. Give it the "iPhone 3gs" treatment. But slowly over the next couple years apps are going to require "iOS 6 and up only" and that will suck for iPad 1 users.

But would't that just be NEW apps post-iOS6 and some updates? Wouldn't the current 100,000+ apps still function perfectly fine as of today? You also say "in a couple years" meaning that the original would be even older? In two years from now you will be able to get the current new iPad(4) dirt cheap. Talking about consumer market btw and not a corp market. I mean I got my original iPad about a week after the launch for the 2, it was refurb, open box at Best Buy and it was so cheap!

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
My main concern is with iOS 5 not properly supporting iCloud once all the other devices are updated to iOS 6.

I wouldn't want my mom's iPad to suddenly start deleting all the Photo Stream photos because of incompatibilities.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Assuming the iPad 1 was purchased Feb 2, 2011 so that it couldn't be returned for an iPad 2 without a restocking fee, and further assuming that iOS will be released September, 2012 (instead of during the iPad 4 release in supposedly March 2013) - that's 1 year 7 months of latest-and-greatest OS support, plus only gradually decreasing app support after that.

Compared that to my original iPhone 2G. From June 2007 to June 2010, the releas of iOS 4, that's three years of latest-and-greatest OS support. Or, only 1 year 11 months if you puchased the 2G a month before the 3G was released. (Although not feature support, obviously.)

1.92 years is certainly nicer than 1.58 years, but not all that different from what Apple's done before. With Apple products, you ALWAYS risk being behind the curve if you buy a product 11 months after its release, since they (generally, not always) are on a 12 month refresh cycle.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
One could also buy the iPad on another day. Not everyone buys everything on release day only.

Thanks for missing the point.

lol i got your point, it sucks the ipad 1 doesnt support ios 6 less than 2 years if you purchased it right before the launch of the ipad 2 and are dumb enough not to take advantage of the the 14 day return policy.

they dont sell the ipad outside of the of the refurbished store. The 3gs is still sold, there for its necessary it gets ios6 support...

if having the latest and greatest ios is sooo import, the buyer should just sell the ipad and get a new one. Regardless not having ios6 on your ipad 1st gen means you wouldnt be getting the new maps app like the 3gs.. thats about it... your 1st gen ipad is still just as usable as it was before they announced ios6.

...not missing out on much. most people prolly dont even use there ipad for maps anyways.

Last edited:

SeaSalt

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
lol i got your point, it sucks the ipad 1 doesnt support ios 6 less than 2 years if you purchased it right before the launch of the ipad 2 and are dumb enough not to take advantage of the the 14 day return policy.

they dont sell the ipad outside of the of the refurbished store. The 3gs is still sold, there for its necessary it gets ios6 support...

if having the latest and greatest ios is sooo import, the buyer should just sell the ipad and get a new one. Regardless not having ios6 on your ipad 1st gen means you wouldnt be getting the new maps app like the 3gs.. thats about it... your 1st gen ipad is still just as usable as it was before they announced ios6.

...not missing out on much. most people prolly dont even use there ipad for maps anyways.

Thank you for removing all doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.