Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
who cares? Just use the thing and enjoy it!

waste so much time chasing specs.

Yes. THIS. iPads are for people who want maximum enjoyment of the experience they get from using the device. Benchmarks don't matter. Other devices will always have faster processors, more graphics cores, more RAM, etc... but so far, none have come close to touching the user-experience of the iPad. Apple does so well in the market because they understand this single point. It's not about internal specs first. It's about the user experience. Other companies have it backwards - they spend all their money maxing out specs, neglecting user experience, and so sell far fewer products.

If you care primarily about specs - if that's what matters to you more than the actual usability and performance of a device - then that's fine. There are products for you. Buy a Transformer Prime or another Android device and enjoy. Better yet, stay away from the tablet market altogether and trick out a massively overpowered gaming PC with the highest-end components money can buy. Then play some super sophisticated games for a few hours before using your computer to do things that don't require a tenth of all that power, but make up about 90% of what you and most people actually use a computer for.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
What is there to be disappointed by?

iPad 3s hardware is so far beyond anything else on the market that it can nearly match their performance at 3-4 times the resolution. That's an incredible feat.

It's like complaining that a GeForce 680 @ 2560x1600 is slower than a 8800gt @ 1024x768.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Specs are not meaningless even when you add into the fact of software. Mudbox on a mac running an i5 2.6ghz vs a i7 at 3.00ghz on a pc. The PC would render and perform better than the mac.

In this case for the iPad though the benchmarks are so slight it would make no real world difference.
You just explained a case where the software backs up the point of having specs, I was explaining that this is not always the case, and definitely not the case with tablets.
I am not stupid, I am not saying that Macs are better than high end PC's at heavy stuff, you missed my point.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The problem with benchmarks and specs is that they don't really amount to much. They are only there to evaluate expected performance, not actual performance. They really only mean something to the educated and the people that understand how to weight benchmarks and specs in order run comparative analysis. They require context and most consumers out there lack context.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
Uh. If anything the report says that the ipad 3 is amazing ...achieving same results of power even though its using a retina display....ipad wins again

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Bench mark test are not real world. What matters is does it do what you ask it to do. That article does not bother me. My new iPad works great!

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The new iPad is not sluggish, has a beautiful display and is able play any game without any hiccups. In my opinion it's perfect,

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Some Apple products, particularly iOS devices sell primarily based on the marketing genius of the late Steve Jobs.

Having built a following of people that believe nothing else could possibly equal Apples style, cache, and trendiness, as well as "magical & revolutionary or even resolutionary" was the true brilliance of the worlds best salesman.

If any other manufacturer used the pie in the sky superlatives Steve did, they'd never be taken seriously. Apple's very clever naming of products & technologies, many of which existed & were used long before Apple couched them in AppleSpeak, is a testimony to the power of influence.

If Apple does introduce something new suddenly everyone in the Apple community is gushing praise. Conversely if Apples specs are less than the competition the Apple excuse makers appear in droves to "educate others" about how it doesnt matter. Blatant insults are hurled at anyone who asks why it doesn't matter.

It's a very interesting and powerful phenomenon, which helps Apple retain their image as a fault free highly superior company. It's no wonder so many hero worshippers remain head over heels with admiration for Steve Jobs.

In no way am I being critical or failing to appreciate many of Jobs highly significant accomplishments. I've been a very enthusiastic Apple customer since the beginning of the system 7 days.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Jobs I admit had his reality distortion field which was so prevalent in his life he could will away even pain. He just couldn't will away cancer. The power of words enrapture all of us as long as you have integrity. I don't mean some misgiven sense of integrity but what you say is what you do "integrity". Apple users are enrolled into this way of being because it empowers them to do what they need to do with technology without being tech-savvy. Apple has never been about specs, they've always been about features and what their product can do for you. In these cases, you have to take a look at real world performance numbers in comparison to competing products and then make a decision whether or not the product is superior in the ways that count. Most people in the world don't have that ability. Just because you have raw benchmark data, actually doesn't mean anything in the real world.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Some Apple products, particularly iOS devices sell primarily based on the marketing genius of the late Steve Jobs.

Having built a following of people that believe nothing else could possibly equal Apples style, cache, and trendiness, as well as "magical & revolutionary or even resolutionary" was the true brilliance of the worlds best salesman.

If any other manufacturer used the pie in the sky superlatives Steve did, they'd never be taken seriously. Apple's very clever naming of products & technologies, many of which existed & were used long before Apple couched them in AppleSpeak, is a testimony to the power of influence.

If Apple does introduce something new suddenly everyone in the Apple community is gushing praise. Conversely if Apples specs are less than the competition the Apple excuse makers appear in droves to "educate others" about how it doesnt matter. Blatant insults are hurled at anyone who asks why it doesn't matter.

It's a very interesting and powerful phenomenon, which helps Apple retain their image as a fault free highly superior company. It's no wonder so many hero worshippers remain head over heels with admiration for Steve Jobs.

In no way am I being critical or failing to appreciate many of Jobs highly significant accomplishments. I've been a very enthusiastic Apple customer since the beginning of the system 7 days.

No doubt, Apple's marketing has been instrumental to their success. However, Apple has earned its following through decades of innovative and high quality products. I would agree that Apple doesn't always have the best product on the spec sheet, but I would argue that its consistency is far and away above the industry heavyweights like HP and Dell.

The real genius of Steve Jobs wasn't his marketing prowess, it was his obsessive commitment to the user experience at every level. That is how Apple inspires brand loyalty and that is why they can dominate all these emerging tech markets -- its not just a few clever commercials and conventions.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
Did anyone scroll down the page at all? The graphics performance destroyed the prime and galaxy.

As for the CPU it does not matter so long as it is snappy with the OS and I never have a problem running stuff. It is quick and smooth so I am happy.

From my understanding the Tegra 3 is nothing more than a quad core CPU/GPU. The A5 is a Dual Core CPU + Dual Core GPU. The A5X is a Dual Core CPU + Dual Core GPU.

Tegra 3 = 4 total cores
A5 = 4 total cores
A5X = 6 total cores
A6 = 8 total cores

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Did anyone scroll down the page at all? The graphics performance destroyed the prime and galaxy.

As for the CPU it does not matter so long as it is snappy with the OS and I never have a problem running stuff. It is quick and smooth so I am happy.

From my understanding the Tegra 3 is nothing more than a quad core CPU/GPU. The A5 is a Dual Core CPU + Dual Core GPU. The A5X is a Dual Core CPU + Dual Core GPU.

Tegra 3 = 4 total cores
A5 = 4 total cores
A5X = 6 total cores
A6 = 8 total cores

You can't count cores as the same. It's completely different. If you wanted raw data, it's collected in mflops of processing. Either way, the iPad is definitely faster regardless of these benchmarks.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I think it's sad that the tegra 3 doesn't outdo the a5x even more considering the speed it is clocked at. I have android phones and have used android tablets. I can honestly say that benchmarks mean nothing and optimisation means everything.

Android devices never last long enough to get the proper attention from the manufacturers. Once one phone is out, the next is already being worked on. Apple spends a year working on a new iPad or iPhone and makes sure it dang well performs regardless of its specs!

I was all about the transformer prime during Xmas until I saw how much better the iPad 1 was than my dads toshiba thrive and the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1. That sealed the deal for me. I knew I was getting and iPad and leaving android...No more waiting for amateurs devs to fix problems that HTC should have fixed...

Poor tegra3. That's with it's high clockspeed and ICS, no? Good for the a5x and its retina display it has to push! Think the OP doesn't realise just how well those results really are! Imagine if the a5x were clocked at the same speed as the tegra 3 and wasn't burdened with its retina display?

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
This is just the console vs. PC specs war argument all over again.

Specs matter less for gaming consoles because developers can work with one specification in mind and optimise far more efficiently. It's the same with iOS, there's only a few configurations they have to cater for.

It's like when people claimed that having a PC with a 7900GT means it should run all the same games the PS3 can, just because the card is similar to the PS3 GPU doesn't mean the optimisation is up to snuff.

Dane9

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
42760.png

iPad2_v_Tegra_3.jpg

I think iPad 3 should be better...

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Quoted from the benchmark:

For the Egypt test,
the iPad 2 (1024×768) produced 6,709 frames at a framerate of 59 FPS, while
the new iPad (2048×1536) ran 5,974 frames at 53 FPS and
the Transformer Prime (1280×800) generated 5,955 at a rate of 52 FPS.
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 (1280×800), on the other hand, produced only 2,465 frames at a surprisingly low 21 FPS.

The new iPad still beats both android tablets even when tested running on native resolution! We are talking retina resolution here (4x the ipad2 resolution) yet it still manage to keep up with ipad 2 shy by ~10%

I just dont get whats the dissapointment?

Of course compromise have to made to run pixel this extremely high (its running higher than a hdtv, its more taxing than ps3 and xbox!) and i think apple did a great job without much performance loss in effort to gain much much better clarity and resolution.

Imagine how slugish those android tegra tablets if they have to run on retina resolution...

I am happy with the benchmark number.

Last edited:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

This doesn't happen at all, I hear your played out story time and time again, but never see any evidence of it because it always happens in some other thread somewhere else on MR but no user who exhibits this behavior is ever quoted. It's just the stupid 'fanboy' strawman, a pseudo-critical stance that halfwits lean on to feel like they are above it all.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
The new iPad still beats both android tablets even when tested running on native resolution! We are talking retina resolution here (4x the ipad2 resolution) yet it still manage to keep up with ipad 2 shy by ~10%

I just dont get whats the dissapointment?
Because people on this website get unrealistic expectations. The ARM A15 was never going to happen, but that didn't stop people from believing. The 1GB RAM and display/GPU are solid upgrades, but those were expected.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
For God's sake, do people not understand that specs are completely meaningless without the software and implementation to back it up. iPad kicks the ass of all of it's competitors because of iOS, it is lightyears ahead.
Exactly the same with computers, you can get a more powerful PC for the same priced Mac, but it means nothing because PC's are terrible to use, in my honest opinion.

Specs define the potential performance. Specs that are twice as fast as an iPad can out perform it even if the software is only 51% efficient (assuming the iPad program/iOS is 100% efficient).

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Denial reigns supreme... :D

Go on then, forums superstar ixodes - all you have to do is actually show some evidence for what you're talking about. If this mass of 'excuse makers' who turn on a dime with Apple exists, then giving some examples of specific posters who do this isn't asking too much, is it?

But of course it's asking too much, because the story you've repeated is the usual blah blah blah, it's just whatever dribbles out of someone's head in lieu of reason. Like I said:

no user who exhibits this behavior is ever quoted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.