not impressed with iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Masquerade, May 6, 2011.

1. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

I decided days ago to buy an iPad2 to my dads, the last decision over cheaper android tablets was the intuitive interface because they never use a computer and they are over 60.

i though the experience with would be better. i owned an iphone until last year, when i was roubed.

i didn't check the apps before buy, i though that about this time essentials apps that were in iphone were also in iPad. skype, facebook for example.
    besides they are learning fast, almost the pages that they like to see have flash for video; facebook you cannot yet upload fotos from library. this is a big let down. also the iOS besides the simplicity, shows that was not made for social networking, a shame compared with the PalmOS and android.

Facetime is great but the cams are ******

2. shenfrey macrumors 68000

3. 499357 Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are many different apps that allow you to upload photos to Facebook...

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

You should do your research before you buy! All these issues you mention can be very easily solved by downloading apps.

5. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Go buy an android tablets tablet because you will be in a minority and you will enjoy the android less as it will be slow and lack support. :p

6. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Whoa whoa careful mate, let's not be fanboys. Android is good, sure it's a matter of opinion of which we enjoy the most but let's not down right insult other products when it's a fact that android platforms, phones or tablets are really good and are starting to really compete with apple.

Defend your brand sure, but dont be rude about it.

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I don't get your point, iPhone apps like FB or Skype do work on the iPad although they are not optimized for the screen estate.

8. 499357 Guest

Hi, yeah for Facebook try 'friendly' or 'friended' both good apps, also just the web version of Facebook works fine for most things. but its true Skype need to get on the case and make an iPad app!

9. Masquerade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, most iPhone apps do not look good on the iPad.

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

sorry things are not working out for you.

sell the unit and move on.

there are plenty of other choices out there to remedy your woes.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yawn...

13. henchman, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

henchman macrumors 6502a

The OP does have a very valid point.
    Why doesn't the iPad coMe with all the various social networking apps on it?
    In today's market, these should all be considered basic, standard apps, just like a browser.

Of course, the browser that the iPad comes with is *****, so, maybe that's a bad example. :D

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You might have a valid point, if I could understand a word you said. Seriously, please re-read all posts before posting.

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Not everyone uses social networks, and having more stock apps, means more apps you can't delete. If you want social netoworking apps, you can always download them from the app store.

16. 0815 macrumors 68000

Troll Alert

Either you didn't research the needs of your dad and compared it to the capabilities of the device or you are just trying to be a troll .... come one, who is blindly buying a device assuming it would just do what you want. ... my guess is you are just trolling.

17. Masquerade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i'm not trolling, engraved ipad, i spend arround 600 euros, it came from tnt, i track it from seihzen, then hong kong, then norway netherlands, it arrived 2 days ago
    and when i put on charge, Boom: light bleeding on top and left side visible.
    i didn't care. more important is that they will use it well, beocse is intuitive...

but after 1 day, my dad wanted to see a football article and didn't play,... i was forced to say to him, ahm, you need "a computer to do" that... omiting the part of cheap tablet can do that!

18. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

You owned an iPhone - which can't run Flash - but you didn't think to wonder if an iPad with exactly the same iOS might be similarly restricted?

I don't think your problem is with the product, which after all is very clearly described and with limitations that have been discussed endlessly. Your problem is with unrealistic expectations.

19. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

How is it possible that you didn't know that the iPad doesn't play flash? It's been reported/discussed everywhere for years...

Sell the pad and go buy the cheap tablet if that's what he needs, problem solved. Which one's the cheap one, btw?

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There isn't a native, optimized Facebook App for the iPad yet.

I'd certainly agree that this is something of a disappointment, especially considering the widespread popularity of the iPad, the fact that its been out for more than a year, and the extensive SDK support Apple gives to developers. Somehow I think there is some "politics" going on with Facebook's management. Then again, there may be some restrictions in the Apple approval process that don't jive with Facebook's (somewhat cavalier) approach to sharing user data. That said, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a native FB iPad App available in the next few months.

If doing Facebook was your main motivation for getting an iPad - yes, you are likely to be disappointed. But beyond that omission, there certainly seem to be hundreds, if not thousands, of Apps that allow you to do almost totally unique things with the iPad. If I were the OP, I'd sample some of the other "showcase" iPad apps - Flipboard, Garageband, Slice HD, etc. before making any final conclusions about the iPad.

21. 0815, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

0815 macrumors 68000

Not impressed by the new Porsche

I'm really not impressed by the new Porsche - I got one for my wife. The first day she wanted to bring our son and some of his team mates to the soccer game, stupid car - couldn't fit the 6 kids. The week after that we wanted to go on a family trip with the new expensive car but we couldn't fit all of our luggage in it .... stupid car.

--> do some research before buying something - don't assume 'it is a nice expensive toy and therefore it will do whatever I need it to do'

22. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Yup, your own fault for not realizing what you were purchasing. Next time to do some thinking and research.

Samsung Galaxy Tab, Acer Iconia, Motorola Xoom Wifi, Asus Transformer...there's quite a number of reasonably or cheaply priced Android tablets that sound like they might better suite the OP's needs.

23. henchman macrumors 6502a

You know, it's quite alright to have criticisms on a $900 device.
    Especially when there are phones out there that have that stuff built in.

Being critical is what makes changes.
    Trying to make excuses is not a solution.

24. brendu macrumors 68020

If you want to watch flash videos in websites, try the "Skyfire" browser app. It isn't perfect and can't run all flash, but it can convert and play many flash videos and often that is enough.

25. henchman macrumors 6502a

I do agree though, that complaining about the lack of Flash on an iPad At this point is ridiculous. It was widely reported that iPad would have no Flash.
    Yes, it's annoying, but everyone knows going in that t won't be an option.