iPhone XS Max Not upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Oct 20, 2018.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Was looking at the iPhone XS Max to upgrade from my iPhone X as I find the screen of the iPhone X too small. But when I saw the prices today in the Apple store, I lost all interest.

I remember those days when the TOTL fully spec’ed iPhone was less than $1000. In a few years, Apple will ask over $2000 for it?

2. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

A loaf of bread was once 15 cents and a gallon of gas less than 50 cents. Do you expect prices to go down over time?

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

5 years ago, a loaf of bread was £1, a litre of petrol was £1.27, an iPhone was £509. Today, they're £1, £1.32, £1,000. Spot the odd one out.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why wouldn’t you expect the Max to be more than the iPhone X you bought for over 1k?

If the cost is too much, don’t buy. Don’t understand what the big deal is.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

True.

But artificially jacking up the price is also a problem.

There was a time before 2003 when gasoline was less than $2 a gallon. Then a Kinder Morgan pipeline from Tucson to Phoenix which delivers 30% of Phoenix's gasoline supply ruptured. Subsequent repairs and testing led to a shutdown of the entire pipeline and gas prices shot up to over $4 a gallon.

Kinder Morgan was ultimately fined $6 million dollars. But you know what else happened? Kinder Morgan and other companies in the industry used this crisis as an excuse to artificially jack up prices.

Before the crisis - $1.39 to $1.60 gas prices, depending on grade and location. After the crisis - gas has never gone under $2.00 again. It was an excuse that the industry used to readjust their base pricing to over $2.00 per gallon. I put $20 in the tank last night at $2.89 a gallon.

California is worse. Add 50¢ to a $1 extra.

Apple could charge less, they'd still make profit. But they choose not to. It's the same thing.

6. Ebok Suspended

Ppl are allowed to be upset.. especially when they were getting flagship phones for $600 just a few years ago. It isn’t the case anymore and inflation has nothing to do with it. It’s greed.

7. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I am not upgrading either. My 8 (purchased last year) does everything the larger more expensive models do for at least a few more years. I'm not keen on becoming an atm for Apple. Congrats to those that bought and enjoy their new phones. I just see no need for myself personally.

8. ET3SW macrumors regular

One thing that people are forgottting and tend to compare is the old base models to the new high end ones. There are options at all of the price points.

A 6s Plus Started at $749 but you got 16gb of Storage / A Xr base with 64gb Storage is $749

9. cornerexit, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

cornerexit macrumors 6502

Very good point. Apple is a different company today. So best to change with the times, hold onto your money, and buy when the deltas align. I’ll wait for 5G LTE hardware in the phone, for them to fix their PWM issues on the OLED, the cellular connectivity and WiFi issues, etc. They don’t make what I want right now anyways, which is a 5” phone. First time I haven’t upgraded every other year. No big deal, got a new battery for free and I will use this year to upgrade the watch and the pad. The new pad looks rad.

10. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you expect a phone being the same price as a PC gaming rig with a 6-core Intel CPU, NVIDIA GTX 1080 X and a 1 TB SSD?

Tim Cook will be laughing about how big his bonus will be this year.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    Storage is not expensive. You can even get 1 TB SSD’s for almost nothing in 2018.

11. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Still doesn’t change the point that you did not b!tch about buying your X last year...and now complain about Xs Max because it costs $100 more????

Did you dump your X yet for that PC gaming rig?! I would given your odd logic!

I get it...you want to feel good about your X...great phone...but b!tching about Xs Max due to price when you paid almost as much last year is just hilariously fake.

12. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

For all intents and purposes that's what your phone is, but pocket sized.

13. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The TOTL iPhone X that I got only costed me around $1100 which you cannot build a high-end gaming rig with. The iPhone XS Max however ...

14. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

...for $100 more than what you paid for X....

Again, your fake cry is getting old...you must be a drama queen of sorts....

15. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

$1450 - $1100 = $100???

Nice math.

16. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Here’s the thing...then don’t buy it. Show the bastard Cook your true cause!! STOP buying anything Apple. Sell your Apple stuff. Sell your Apple stocks. Burn Apple decals.

Show me that you have balls behind your statements. Otherwise, cry me a river somewhere else....
    why must you get the highest storage? Why not buy one that is equivalent to what you have now? LOL.

Are you not happy with 64 GB of your X? So, in your small world, you want MORE but pay same or less?

Who is forcing you to buy 512GB??

Sorry, you’re exposing your drama queen nature...and clearly one that is really bad at math!

17. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the TOTL iPhone X, not the 64 gb version. And to replace it with the 2018 TOTL version, that is the $1450 version.

And really, storage is not expensive in 2018. For less than the price difference between TOTL iPhone X and iPhone XS Max, you can buy a 1TB SSD. So that is not what causes the price difference. It is simply more Apple tax.

18. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

No, if you want to b!tch about price, then you have to compare apples to apples. Your 256GB X costs $1149 in 2017 (NOT $1100). Xs Max 256 GB costs $1249. Difference = $100. Plain and simple.

Your comparison is just bogus and overly dramatic.

19. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ofcourse not. When you buy the TOTL Ferrari, you will compare it against the next TOTL Ferrari when it comes out and not some cheaper Ferrari model.

And have fun drinking the koolaid of Apple that you think storage is so expensive in 2018.

20. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Supply and demand. Apple said the new iPhone is $ 1K, you went there and bought it anyway. You yourself told Apple how they should price their phone.

Now they release a device that’s supposedly better, for $100 more (the usual screen-size increase) and you’re complaining???

Go figure.

21. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Drinking Koolaid or not is irrelevant.

The Xs Max is also the WRONG size in your comparison!

Why not compare your X to Xs? Why must you compare it to Xs Max??

You’re basically comparing a 2017 Toyota Camry Limited to a 2019 Toyota Avalon Limited. You see the problem? Two totally different model.

Again, you’re so delusional to miss that you’re not comparing apples to apples.
    In fact, Apple actually did a bargain deal in 2018. The iPhone Xs is BETTER than your X is pretty much every significant ways...better display, way better camera/video, better sound, way better CPU/GPU/NN, better construction (stronger glass)........YET, they kept the price the SAME!!!

You love car comparisons...have you ever seen a mid-cycle facelift with numerous improvements to hardware...and yet the price stay the same??!!!! I have not. Heck, even without a single improvement, year to year price changes in cars ALWAYS go up by at least $500.

Wow, thanks for pointing out how generous Apple is.

22. Ralfi, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

You don't understand what the big deal is?

The 32GB iPhone 3GS was ~AU$1040
    The 64GB iPhone 5 was AU$999
    The 128GB iPhone 6S was ~AU$1200
    The 256GB iPhone XS is AU$1879

That's the point the OP's making.

Yeah, it's easy to conclude that by making a decision not to buy is an easy one, but the mark-ups are crazy.

23. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Actually, OP’s point was comparing X to Xs Max. But as pointed out above, X and Xs are same priced despite the numerous improvements.

Don’t cars increase in price every year too, even when there is zero improvements?

24. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Omg I remember when I got out of high school in 2001 I think gas was like 1.50??? Or something. Then after college in 2005 it was 2.15. Before grad school in 2008 it was $4. Then after grad school in 2010 it was 2.80. For a while it was around 3-3.30 for a few years. Now it the past few months 3.45-3.90.

25. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

What you are all missing is the fact that the iPhone is not overpriced. Overpriced products don't sell, and overpricing businesses soon become former businesses.

It doesn't matter if the markup on a product is 1000%. If someone (millions of people in this case) is willing to pay the asking price, it is "worth" that price.

That's the beauty of the free market.

Choice.