Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thresher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
I just got the phone and started setting it up.

I have a X XS Max and the notch doesn't seem to be right. On every app, the notch has a little bubble coming off of the right side. I can't quite see it, but I think the hardware notch and the software notch aren't aligning, so the camera underneath that hole is showing through the side of the notch.

Is this normal? Is it just that the notch isn't scaling right on the iPhone X XS Max?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
defective.

Bummer. Use it until they at least can hand over one to you. Not the worst defect, but shoddy.

Tell them you want something free for your grief. It was a terrible shock, and you don't feel quite right.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sigh. Gonna be hard to get another one today.

What I normally do, if I have problems with a new iPhone purchase, is contact Apple's 1-800 # or call a local Apple Store. They might be able to put together a solution soon. I am sorry you had a defective model, but only thing you can do is probably wait. Best of luck with the process and hope it gets resolved soon.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Looks like a cluster of bad pixels but too perfectly rounded so could be a software glitch. If a full iOS image restore doesn't fix it I'd exchange it.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Sigh. Gonna be hard to get another one today.

Apple ships replacement units separately from retail units. Chances are you will not have a problem getting a replacement today. I walked in right after the X release and even though they were “out of stock” of my model, I walked out with a brand new one.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
Apple ships replacement units separately from retail units. Chances are you will not have a problem getting a replacement today. I walked in right after the X release and even though they were “out of stock” of my model, I walked out with a brand new one.

My phone didn’t work at launch one year (I think it was the 6s launch year). I took it back to store on launch day and was given a new phone on the spot. It was in a pain cardboard box and clearly not intended for retail sale, but it was brand new. I’m sure the have replacements just for this eventuality.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
My phone didn’t work at launch one year (I think it was the 6s launch year). I took it back to store on launch day and was given a new phone on the spot. It was in a pain cardboard box and clearly not intended for retail sale, but it was brand new. I’m sure the have replacements just for this eventuality.

Same here. It was a box with just a phone in it - not even any documentation. I commented how that’s really cool of them to do and the genius said “yeah, it’d be pretty silly to launch a brand new product and not have any backups right?”

Thresher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002

I’m a hundred miles from an Apple store.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

giphy.gif

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Wow, what could cause the pixels to fail in such an unusual pattern?

Usually pixels fail in a line, or a block of dead pixels... but a perfect semicircle of failed pixels? I'd love to know the manufacturing error that resulted in this.

Either way, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a replacement unit quickly. Apple keeps special stock on hand for this reason.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Hmmmm. Looks interesting. But notice you don’t have signal either. What happens if you put your phone in airplane mode. Is it still there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.