Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Notch versus Pill+Hole

• Total voters

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
From my perspective, I prefer the notch to notch-thick top and bottom bezels.

I'm not fed up with the notch, in fact it really doesn't bother me, because I know that something has to be there to hold the Face-ID array and the cut-outs look fresher to me than the notch. No one has done under screen cameras that don't suffer from worse image quality or are completely invisible while not in use so cut-outs it is.
I would prefer bezels however the iPhone would then resemble the Galaxy S8, which I still consider to be one of the best looking phones ever made.

10D37F3F-B0A2-491B-BFBF-8DD771053CC4.jpeg

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It really is nice to have an unobtrusive viewing area.

maxresdefault.jpg
There’s so much information displayed at the top of the phone along with no obstruction when viewing videos. I know Apple would never do it but I am definitely in the “bring back bezels” camp. The S8 also looks so much cleaner and more aesthetic than the X.

Reactions: Annv and Yr Blues

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There’s so much information displayed at the top of the phone along with no obstruction when viewing videos. I know Apple would never do it but I am definitely in the “bring back bezels” camp. The S8 also looks so much cleaner and more aesthetic than the X.
The iPhone screen is wider than most videos, which is why there are black bars on either side, so if the notch is obstructing the side of your video that means that you are voluntarily obstructing the top and bottom of the video by zooming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I have grown accustomed to the notch because well...that is all we have had for the last handful of years. Once the pill actually becomes just that...a pill minus the Tylenol PM next to it then it may look better. But to have two cut outs, you might as well just have the notch.

Reactions: 1557750

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
With the pill design, battery % should return right? That's a big plus for me, even if it's on the left side.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Tim comes out and says, "We removed the Power Icon because we stand by its All-Day battery life and I think you're going to love it that way."
before long it might just be a giant clock and 5G in either corner

To get back on topic.. notch and pill hole won’t be that intriguing for me (and I imagine a good segment of those using notched iPhones) because Apple just isn’t doing anything with the extra real estate

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
All this talk of no masks, but you have to take the country into account. In Japan, I rarely -- if ever -- see someone outside without a mask on.

For vending machines (that use transport cards, credit cards, etc) I've been using the actual card instead of the card in the phone's wallet; as prior to the pandemic, using FaceID on those machines was troublesome at best. So I'd be up for touch ID making a return in some form.

I've taken a look at some of the Sony Xperia devices and I also prefer the bezel to a notch/pill. Of course, the Sony won't have as advanced of a camera array on the front. I actually feel like Apple should seriously consider the Xperia tall aspect ratio at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Weirdly I've come to like the notch; it speaks "Apple" to me and I'm happy it's also on my M2 Air, which I hadn't even noticed at first.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
Prefer the new setup as the open space on top accentuates the edge-to-edge screen. What I don't like is the alignment of the space versus the iOS indicators. That will need some fixing in software to look good.

Attachments

• notch alignment.jpg
    notch alignment.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 59

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I would prefer bezels however the iPhone would then resemble the Galaxy S8, which I still consider to be one of the best looking phones ever made.

View attachment 2037497
Totally agree. Make Bezels Great Again or just move camera and sensors array to the top to lose as less as possible of screen…

Also I just wait for people with all these hardened glass protectors aligned wrong over holes. It already looks funny :)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I will agree, as far as chin and forehead bezels go, this has been the most appealing design. I just wasn’t a fan of the curved edges.
Me neither. I did like it though back in 2016 when the curved edge design was new and somewhat a novelty. I’ve never owned a Galaxy but I hear that the curved edge caused more problems than it solved.

Reactions: 1557750

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The useless screen space above & between the pill and the hole seem very distracting to me, much more so than the notch.
Looks like there's bugs or debris on the screen.
And....................shouldn't the "pill" be called "the capsule"?
This is my gripe. The sliver of screen above a hole is useless and I think it looks ugly AF. At least in the renders I've seen. I'm just surprised that Apple is removing something that identifies their product and copying an android design. I guess it'll make the phone blend in with other phones out there but I don't think that's good for marketing.

Reactions: Andeddu and 1557750
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.