Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After the flurry of news yesterday about the iPod touch, we're now turning our attention to the new sixth-generation iPod nano, which has seen a number of minor tidbits revealed since it began making its way into the hands of consumers.

114350-6gen_ipod_nano_parts.jpg

- iFixit has completed the trifecta with a teardown of the new iPod nano, following up on its iPod touch and iPod shuffle teardowns. The iPod nano offers a similar layout to the iPod shuffle, but packs in a battery carrying over twice the capacity of the iPod shuffle's, a necessity for powering the iPod nano's screen.

The teardown also looks at the iPod nano's 1.54-inch, 240 x 240 pixel display, which offers a pixel density of a hefty 220 pixels per inch, not quite as high as the "Retina" display found in the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch, but quite respectable. The report also notes that the "multi-touch" screen fails to deliver true multi-touch functionality in that it supports only two points of contact, with the only feature utilizing that class of touch event being the display rotation. Sources have indicated, however, that Apple also planned to offer pinch-to-zoom on the iPod nano, but the feature is not present in the shipping device.

- TUAW reports that while the iPod nano supports photo slideshows, an internal settings file also contains hints of potential video playback capabilities, with entries for TV captions, subtitles, and alternate audio.

- The aforementioned photo slideshows can be pushed to a TV using Apple's cable kits for component or composite connections.

- The new iPod nano can record voice memos when used with Apple's earphones containing remote and mic capabilities, sold separately.

Article Link: Notes on Sixth-Generation iPod Nano: Teardown, Video Playback Hints, Photo Slideshows, Voice Memos

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
From a technical standpoint, it probably could do video playback. I'm guessing Apple elected not to due to the small screen. What's more, the screen is perfectly square, so even 4:3 content wouldn't use the whole space, let alone 16:9 or wider.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not complaining. I think it's a wise decision.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
wow, so if I want to remove the clip properly, I basically have to remove the whole thing to reach the three screws that hold it in the back :mad:

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Apple has found value in starting products with slim feature lists and gradual addition/activation as early bugs are worked out and customer habits are discerned. May not be ideal for us feature-hungry geeks, but smart for common customers who want "just works" and get pleasant surprises later.

3NV7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Bring back the clickwheel. Touchscreens aren't the answer for everything, Steve-o.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
What if the 7th generation saw the return of the video camera? Or the code is left over from the 6th gen's OS.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So, beyond music/podcast playback, the Nanos’ “added extras” now seem to be:

* Photos/slideshows (with video-out support)
* Voice memos
* Pedometer
* FM radio
* Clock (is it a world clock still? able to switch between multiple time zones quickly?)

Anything else?

Apparently there’s no calendar, notepad, games or video (playback OR recording). Of those, I’d probably wish for a calendar the most. I actually used that on my old clickwheel iPod! But the nano has become a super-shuffle, not a do-everything device. That’s left to the Touch.

And no accelerometer anymore... but I can see how a tiny clippable device is better rotated by multitouch instead of tilt. (Which also explains why a square screen is good: you can clip it any way and it doesn’t matter.)

Wish I needed one but I don’t :)

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
Unbelievable people. Before you start wishing for video and many other stuff, the first thing they need to do is make this object bigger. They aren't putting anything in it. In this nano's case, smaller is not better. Why? Because you can't put anymore things that you people are wishing for in it.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I would like to know how good the clip is for running. Can it be trusted?

The clip basically the same thing as the 2nd gen Shuffle, and the same as the current 4th gen Shuffle. It's great, and very strong. Not small enough to pop off, not large enough to be intrusive. It's strong enough to clip to say a stiff-material jean jacket and not move, but I wouldn't put it on leather, for fear it would leave an indent / imprint. Everything else is a thumbs up. :)

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Unbelievable people. Before you start wishing for video and many other stuff, the first thing they need to do is make this object bigger. They aren't putting anything in it. In this nano's case, smaller is not better. Why? Because you can't put anymore things that you people are wishing for in it.

The point of this device is that it is small. If you want something bigger, go with the Touch.

Sometimes smaller is better.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Unbelievable people. ... you can't put anymore things that you people are wishing for in it.

Indeed; I'm amused at how many people declare with passion "this new product SUCKS!" and proceed to list the many missing features that the device was not designed to include, and cannot include without becoming a fundamentally different device.

If a product doesn't meet your needs, maybe it's not meant for you.
Here's a thought: maybe it was made for people other than you, and maybe you should just get the product you're comparing it to and complaining it isn't.

Kinda like complaining that a toasted bagel isn't soft, cold, and sweet. Maybe it's ice cream you want.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Video capability is probably in there but a drain on battery life.

Apple will "add" it next year with different colors. People will think it is new when it really is the same hardware with more software features enabled.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
If a product doesn't meet your needs, maybe it's not meant for you.
Here's a thought: maybe it was made for people other than you, and maybe you should just get the product you're comparing it to and complaining it isn't.

Kinda like complaining that a toasted bagel isn't soft, cold, and sweet. Maybe it's ice cream you want.

I think the complaint is they want the old nano which doesn't exist anymore.

But, I'll venture to say the people who are griping about that don't seem to really care as much about size and therefore would be better served by the iPod Touch over the Nano anyways if they get over the fact the nano has changed from what they want. I mean they all say they don't care as much about size. Some even say the fifth gen already was too small. And the Touch really isn't that big particularly for the features it adds. Shoot, my iPhone 4 isn't that much bigger than my fifth gen nano and fits in my pocket only slightly less well due to the fact the nano isn't that much shorter than my iPhone. Which is why I don't like the fifth/fourth/2nd/first form. I liked my 3rd gen as it fit in a pocket better. The bigger difference between the nano and my phone is the nano is much lighter. And I bet the Touch is lighter than the iphone. And it has more features, will play video better, and has a better camera than that small Nano could have.

I personally, look forward to getting my new sixth gen. It fixes the main issue I have with my fifth gen that I miss my third gen for while keeping all the stuff I love about my fifth gen that it added. And while the click wheel was big enough to be decent on the third gen having a remote nullifies the need for physical buttons and the only advantage I found (after having an iphone) of hte click wheel over touch was the physical button part. Touch was so much faster to find what you need and do what you want over clickwheel. So I look forward to it having a touch interface now (I gotta wait til next week, mine doesn't come in til then :( ).

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Video capability is probably in there but a drain on battery life.

Apple will "add" it next year with different colors. People will think it is new when it really is the same hardware with more software features enabled.

Yep, that's Apple's M.O. exactly. I fully expect they'll add that back in cause it will be easy to do without increasing the size of the thing and it will be a "new" feature.

I mean I'm pretty sure they leave out functions so they can add them in. And I have to agree with some review I read that this new Nano is more like a 1.0 than a 6.0 model. Yeah, it's the Nano but it's different enough it's a new product really.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's awesome. But I don't know why they made the screen square, why not keep the same screen size as the previous Nano? That would have been perfect for video! Maybe it's because it would have not been small enough to be wearable then?

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Saw the Nano at the store yesterday. The screen is impressive. I don.t understand why video playback is such a big deal. Its a tiny 1.5" 240x240 screen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.