Notes option in Mac iCloud grayed out

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by garyzhan, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. garyzhan macrumors newbie

Basically I ran into the exact same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7744381?start=0&tstart=0

This happened after I updated my early 2015 13' MacBook Pro from El Capitan to Sierra. I tried to search the problem first but didn't have any luck so sorry if this has been posted before. Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: For what it's worth, iCloud Drive and Reminders are also grayed out, with Keychain also grayed out but checked by default.

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Have you already logged out of iCloud completely, and logged back in?

3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Notes requires you to have an Apple email address. If you have not setup an email address, you will need to create an icloud.com email. Check Mail and it will ask if you want to add an iCloud email. Enter an option and it will check to see if it's available.

You should have received a notice when you try to check notes and don't have an email setup.

4. dsemf macrumors regular

I don't think this is required if you have updated Notes to the new format that became available with El Capitan / IOS9. The old version did use email as the transport agent.

DS

5. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Are there any profiles installed on the computer? Check System Preferences > Profiles.

6. HeadWest macrumors newbie

I am having this exact same issue. Any luck figuring it out?

7. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I believe you have to have an Apple email setup in order to use Notes. In System Preferences > iCloud > Mail add an email address.