Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
What does that have to do with anything? Defending Apple for monopolising message security is the problem. And this forum shows how many are either blind or shareholders and willing to give up the greater good for everyone to flash their blue bubble. Apple has bad security for that reason. I don't care about Apple ID at all. Reread my post.
The greater good for everyone? Why would/should Apple (a company with the aim to make money) be interested in that?

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
I really don't understand this whole iMessage thing. Why are americans so obsessed about iMessage? Its not even that good compared to other platforms.
Is it just because US got their texting later than europe so they are still in the 'phase' of enjoying it? I remember the time (20 years ago) when europe was huge on texting and my american friends didn't have it as they were on the 'analog' network whilst europe was on GSM. Maybe that plays a role :)

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
This unofficial third party iMessage thing is going to end up being a game of cat-and-mouse with Apple akin to jailbreaking. Apple are going to go out of their way to prevent it, devs are going to keep trying to work their way round anything Apple implements.

I doubt it. For years there have been apps that let android users use imessage and Apple hasn’t done anything against those devs.

• Love
Reactions: bobcomer

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
Companies have social responsibility, in particular the bigger they are. It’s the right thing to hold them up to that standard.
Making sure your chat bubble has a certain color is now part of the social responsibility? Got it.

• Disagree
Reactions: retrocool

jarman92

macrumors 68000
Nov 13, 2014
What does that have to do with anything? Defending Apple for monopolising message security is the problem. And this forum shows how many are either blind or shareholders and willing to give up the greater good for everyone to flash their blue bubble. Apple has bad security for that reason. I don't care about Apple ID at all. Reread my post.

That's not at all the message conveyed by your original post, so you should probably reread it yourself and edit accordingly. You accuse Apple of "exposing private information to a MITM," which makes no sense considering that users are willingly providing their login credentials to this service.

Reactions: Mr. Rod

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just release iMessage app on Android already. Get the regulators off your back and allow Apple users to iMessage everyone globally no matter what phone they use!!

I had to install WhatsApp because Apple wouldn’t do this.

This is the answer right here, that's only if Apple isn't forced to open up their system. Just an app which lets Apple retain full control over messaging and not let Google in. You can bet Google will still keep screaming to get it's proprietary RCS added so it can take control, harvest data, and serve ads. That's why an Apple controlled app seems to be the best solution. Personally I'd be more than happy to pay $5-$10/month for such an app/service.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
The EU is already requiring an interoperable API for iMessage. I expect more of these services based in the EU to leverage that soon.

I also expect Apple might create a new color to differentiate between iMessage, iMessage via Third Party, and SMS.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I really don't understand this whole iMessage thing. Why are americans so obsessed about iMessage? Its not even that good compared to other platforms.
Is it just because US got their texting later than europe so they are still in the 'phase' of enjoying it? I remember the time (20 years ago) when europe was huge on texting and my american friends didn't have it as they were on the 'analog' network whilst europe was on GSM. Maybe that plays a role :)

WhatsApp isn't any prize winner either in my book, I'm not understanding why it's so universally loved, especially seeing it's parent company Meta and how fast and loose they are with privacy, HELL NO. iMessage isn't difficult to understand, it's installed into the phone when you buy it, it's tied to your phone number if you want to use that, and it's dirt simple for people to use it out of the box instead of having to convince all their contacts to sign up with their specific 3rd party messaging app.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Making sure your chat bubble has a certain color is now part of the social responsibility? Got it.

Who is talking about chat bubble colors? Only the dumber middle school kids I would assume. I don't disagree though, as altruistic as Apple makes themselves out to be they sure as hell only care about their bottom line (same as any other for-profit company). But the whole altruism thing should have been fielded by the carriers who turned their backs on RCS because they couldn't make money from it, and also didn't accept iMessage when Apple offered it. Going further back than this it's the regulatory bodies which oversee the carriers who didn't force carriers to use RCS as a basic but necessary upgrade to SMS. Heck even farther back are legislatorial bodies for not enacting laws. No, I don't blame Apple at this point.

randyhudson

Suspended
Oct 28, 2007
USA
I would never provide my Apple ID credentials to an external service. People should stay away from that.
If you're using icloud backup, then your Apple ID and password, along with tons of others, are synced to Apple servers for (unencrypted) backup.

Last edited:

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
While giving your Apple ID credentials to a third party is the dumbest possible thing one can do, this is at least proof of concept that there's nothing stopping Apple from releasing a dedicate iMessage App for Android, which would get the EU off their backs about interoperability.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
I'm not saying its a prize winner but for example if you create a group in whatsapp or signal and then you do the same in imessage -> now, in whatsapp and signal you can see delivery and read reports. iMessage doesn't have that - it only shows when you text individuals but not in a group chat.

The UI for iMessage is cluttered and visually not as nice as other platforms. Especially with the replies.

If you can't install an app then you shouldn't have a smartphone but if you really think like that then I understand why americans are so crazy about imessage :-D :-D :-D

WhatsApp isn't any prize winner either in my book, I'm not understanding why it's so universally loved, especially seeing it's parent company Meta and how fast and loose they are with privacy, HELL NO. iMessage isn't difficult to understand, it's installed into the phone when you buy it, it's tied to your phone number if you want to use that, and it's dirt simple for people to use it out of the box instead of having to convince all their contacts to sign up with their specific 3rd party messaging app.

Reactions: strongy

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Better question, what android user is going to bother to create an AppleID or they already have an AppleID, surely they have an iPhone?

The Android user who has to interface with iPhone users? It's not a difficult concept to understand.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
1. There is nothing valuable in an iCloud account. Especially for someone outside of apples ecosystem.
2. Apple can't stop this unless they want to stop mac minis from being able to send iMessages. That's pretty much all that this tech is doing.
3. This whole thing existing in the first place should be a sign for apple to do something to open iMessage up or at least implement RCS. Chats between phones in the USA are broken and it's 100% apples fault.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not saying its a prize winner but for example if you create a group in whatsapp or signal and then you do the same in imessage -> now, in whatsapp and signal you can see delivery and read reports. iMessage doesn't have that - it only shows when you text individuals but not in a group chat.

The UI for iMessage is cluttered and visually not as nice as other platforms. Especially with the replies.

If you can't install an app then you shouldn't have a smartphone but if you really think like that then I understand why americans are so crazy about imessage :-D :-D :-D

Hmm, honestly I don't know enough about WhatsApp and iMessage interoperability so maybe you have a point. One sticking point for me is picture/video quality, is this an issue WhatsApp to iPhone? And I mean directly sending through texts, not sending a link. I'd also be curious how group messages truly work as you note, are they truly as seamless as iMessage to iMessage, and do you get all the other stuff like tapbacks, typing indicators, etc.

Finally, it's not about installing an app, it's about coordinating all your contacts to use one service. I have hundreds of contacts, it would be an absolute nightmare to try to get them all on WhatsApp.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
Its never one platform - thats a start. Most people use whatsapp for sure, but some prefer messenger, some instagram etc.
Whatsapp (or signal) is more advanced compared to imessage. Sure, some Apple's specific features are missing (like live stickers apple introduced at WWDC) but I'm sure those will come eventually too.
As for quality - well, usually its not an issue as its among friends/family BUT if you want high res whatsapp (for example) introduced hires version so nonissue. I think Signal might have that option too but haven't checked.

There is a reason why most of the europe is on whatsapp - also, in europe we have GPDR (or whatever the shortcut is) that protects us. You have no idea how much spam I've started receiving when I moved to North America. Its crazy how unprotected you are here as customers.

People bitch about EU but EU does a lot of things to protect customers. You can clearly see it with food when NA has chemicals allowed which are banned in EU.
In general, the food quality in EU is 100x better than here in NA. Really don't understand why NA allows so much chemicals to 'poison' its own food. Mindboggling

Hmm, honestly I don't know enough about WhatsApp and iMessage interoperability so maybe you have a point. One sticking point for me is picture/video quality, is this an issue WhatsApp to iPhone? And I mean directly sending through texts, not sending a link. I'd also be curious how group messages truly work as you note, are they truly as seamless as iMessage to iMessage, and do you get all the other stuff like tapbacks, typing indicators, etc.

Finally, it's not about installing an app, it's about coordinating all your contacts to use one service. I have hundreds of contacts, it would be an absolute nightmare to try to get them all on WhatsApp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.