Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
Absolutely nothing comes up when I search in the finder window, even if I search for files that I can see in another window. I'm running Ventura 13.0.1

How can I fix this?

halledise

macrumors 68000
command+space will yield spotlight.
type your query and voila…
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 21.11.05.png

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Absolutely nothing comes up when I search in the finder window, even if I search for files that I can see in another window. I'm running Ventura 13.0.1

How can I fix this?
Show us a screenshot of your search window. There are too many variables for us to answer without knowing what you're trying to do. Most likely...you're searching in the wrong location.

Reactions: A.Mathias

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
Thank you for replying. I'm searching in the right location. I've attached a screenshot. Even if I'm looking for a file in a location, I've got that location window open separately so I can see what's in there. I can see the file and if I enter part of the file name, nothing comes up. I've tried entering variations on a partial file name and the exact file name and I still get 0 results.

I used to be able to search for a term, and even if it wasn't in the file name but in a layer within a file, it would turn up. Now, nothing. I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to remedy this issue. Thanks again, and have a good week.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.01.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.01.56 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 174

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for the picture. Everything you said looks right. What happens if you change the search attribute to Name instead of Any? Perhaps searching everything for any instance of "4637" is too taxing.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
Thanks for the picture. Everything you said looks right. What happens if you change the search attribute to Name instead of Any? Perhaps searching everything for any instance of "4637" is too taxing.
Same results.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
If I search in "This Mac", I get two files: a jpeg and a folder, but not the one I'm looking for. So weird.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
No, I don't recall it working in Ventura at all, ever. It worked excellently before. I've restarted, but haven't rebooted. This is what shows up in Spotlight:

Attachments

• Screenshot Spotlight Search.png
    Screenshot Spotlight Search.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 107

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
And when I select the option to search in Finder from Spotlight, this is the result:

Attachments

• spotlight_to_finder.png
    spotlight_to_finder.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 121

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Looks like (your first screenshot) there is no Spotlight index for that folder or, or more likely, for the whole disk where that folder is located.
Your Cases folder is on the disk called: HD3 2TB. So I am pretty sure you have no index for that disk.

The GUI way to enable this is System Settings > Siri & Spotlight > Spotlight Privacy (at the bottom). If your HD3 2TB is listed, remove it. If not listed, add it (wait a minute or two) and remove it. That should start a reindex. Be patient while that happens.

If that doesn't work open Terminal. The command "mdutil -sav" (without the ") will give current status of indexing on each disk. What does it show?

Edit: And what is the format of HD3 2TB?

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
What's APFS? The computer is new, running Ventura 13.0.1. The external HD is where I keep all my major files. I see that indexing and searching is disabled, how do I enable it? You can answer tomorrow, I've been dealing with this for a while, obviously it won't kill me! 😅 I would like to get this issue resolved. Amidst meeting my deadlines. ;)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
What's APFS? The computer is new, running Ventura 13.0.1. The external HD is where I keep all my major files. I see that indexing and searching is disabled, how do I enable it? You can answer tomorrow, I've been dealing with this for a while, obviously it won't kill me! 😅 I would like to get this issue resolved. Amidst meeting my deadlines. ;)
did you try gilby101's suggestion about indexing? let us know if that helps.

APFS is the newer mac format, but your OS extended drive should work just fine. try the spotlight index suggestion.

kroboz

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
This happened to me on my Mac Studio. It literally took 45 seconds+ to see files on external drives. Totally unacceptable. I had to roll back to Mac OS 12 just to get my work done again. Hopefully they fix this issue – you're not the only one who's experienced this. Lots of stories from Reddit and around the web with this happening too.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
did you try gilby101's suggestion about indexing? let us know if that helps.

APFS is the newer mac format, but your OS extended drive should work just fine. try the spotlight index suggestion.
I tried that spotlight index technique, but it didn't work. So really what I need to do is enable indexing and searching for my external hard drive. What's the best way to do that?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
In Terminal:

mdutil -sav (this will show current state of indexing on all drive). Please show us the output.

sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/<diskname> Replace <diskname> with the volume name. It will ask for your password. This will enable indexing for the disk.

mdutil -sav (to show that something has changed).

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
Thank you, this is what happened:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 7.20.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 7.20.10 PM.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 116

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Sorry, I knew from earlier posts that your disk name has a space and should have covered that. Type this (including the "s) in Terminal:

sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/HD3 2TB"

Terminal commands treat spaces as separating items, adding the quotes overrides that.

A.Mathias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2023
Sorry, I knew from earlier posts that your disk name has a space and should have covered that. Type this (including the "s) in Terminal:

sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/HD3 2TB"

Terminal commands treat spaces as separating items, adding the quotes overrides that.
Man, it just does not want to enable indexing or searching!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 7.34.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 7.34.26 PM.png
    96 KB · Views: 97
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.