Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nothing Phone 1 users today began receiving the Nothing OS 1.1.7 update, which adds support for displaying the battery percentage of connected AirPods, amongst other improvements and bug fixes.

If you own a Nothing Phone 1, you can check for the OTA update by going to Settings -> System -> System updates. Bear in mind that as support for displaying AirPods battery level is still an experimental feature, it may not work in all circumstances.

That said, the feature can be enabled on updated Phone 1 models by going to the Experimental Features section in the device's Settings menu.

According to the release notes, the update also includes the November Android security patch and offers a more accurate battery status, improved OS fluidity and reduced stutters, improved audio quality when recording videos, and an adjustment to the thermal threshold to better balance performance and temperature.

Like the Nothing Ear 1 earbuds gaining Siri support earlier this year, the Phone 1 update continues to work towards Nothing CEO Carl Pei's stated intention to make Nothing devices work with a variety of different products and accessories.

"We're building support for third-party products that we believe our users might need, like the AirPods Pro or a Tesla," said Pei at the Phone 1 launch in July.

(Via XDA Developers.)

Article Link: Nothing Phone 1 Displays AirPods Battery Level After Latest OS Update

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
As long as it doesn't require you to sign into a Google account it's a possible alternative. :rolleyes:
Some of my friends who own an iPhone have never signed into iCloud and just use it as a regular phone to take pictures and text.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Nice review.

My businesses run off Windows and have an iPad on every desk so all I need is a phone for simple emails, text, and voice calls. Therefore this product makes sense for me. Especially since Apple’s quality and largely gimmicky upgrades no longer support their prices.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
An android phone with a few lights on the back. Why is this regarded as revolutionary / amazing or interesting in any way?
Because of the way it marketed its brand. Ultra hyped by focusing on the tech geeks and scarcity availability. It's basically just like OnePlus in the early days. Remember the beginning of OnePlus? It was considered "revolutionary" as well, from its price point and limited availability (you have to get invites to buy one). This is basically the same thing, with a new coat of paint. I mean it's by the same dude.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Why though? They have their own Nothing earbuds, I believe? They should stick with their own ecosystem. Bring something for AirPods (which can be broken with another firmware update from Apple) is nothing good for the consumers. (Excuse the pun)
It's a good move. If one is considering trying Android, let alone a less known and newer brand, they wouldn't immediately jump out to buy all of their products. They can start with the phone and still use their AirPods, rather than not buying the phone at all (due to the fact they have to buy new earbuds too)

gk_brown

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2020
all I need is a phone for simple emails, text, and voice calls...Apple’s quality and largely gimmicky upgrades no longer support their prices
In general, I agree - which is why an iPhone SE will be my next device (once they stop issuing iOS updates for the 11, which I currently own).

Reactions: SnappleRumors

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
In general, I agree - which is why an iPhone SE will be my next device (once they stop issuing iOS updates for the 11, which I currently own).

That’s a good option for me too, but have to admit being spoiled using the big screens. But as little as I use the phone I need to get over it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
What a strange product. I'm curious to see what the staying power, if any, this device has.
They have at least one customer.
NWM.jpg

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
As long as it doesn't require you to sign into a Google account it's a possible alternative. :rolleyes:
Some of my friends who own an iPhone have never signed into iCloud and just use it as a regular phone to take pictures and text.
Interesting. I guess they could back up the device using finder without having an account. I have a second iPhone that I use for more minimalist things (no it's not my grindr drop phone), but I still sign in with a dummy account for the sole purpose of backing up the device.

Reactions: JosephAW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.