Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Thursday evening announced it has reached a $100 million settlement that, pending court approval, will resolve a class action lawsuit from U.S. developers who alleged that Apple has a monopoly on the distribution of iOS apps and in-app purchases.

app-store-gold-banner.jpeg

As part of the settlement, some U.S. developers would be entitled to receive a payment from Apple, so long as they meet certain requirements.

Who is eligible for a payment from Apple?

According to law firm Hagens Berman, which brought the lawsuit against Apple in 2019, the class includes any current or former U.S. developer of an iOS app that earned less than $1 million through the U.S. App Store in paid downloads and/or in-app purchases/subscriptions per calendar year between June 4, 2015 and April 26, 2021.

How can I submit a claim for a payment from Apple?

Eligible developers will be able to submit a claim through the website SmallAppDeveloperAssistance.com once the settlement has received court approval.

When can I submit a claim for a payment from Apple?

Developers can sign up on SmallAppDeveloperAssistance.com to be notified when the site launches. No specific timeframe has been provided, but in a court filing, law firm Hagens Berman proposed that the claims period begin within 45 days after court approval. Developers would then have a proposed 120 days to submit a claim.

How much will my payment be from Apple?

Eligible developers will be able to receive a payment between $250 and $30,000 from Apple depending on their total App Store earnings between June 4, 2015 and April 26, 2021, as outlined in the chart below from the settlement filing.

apple-developer-settlement-chart.jpg

According to law firm Hagens Berman, a 100% claims rate is not likely, meaning that not all eligible developers will file for a payment from Apple. In that event, the law firm said the minimum payment amounts will increase proportionally, meaning that eligible developers may ultimately receive a larger payment from Apple.

Any leftover funds after payments to developers who submitted a claim would be sent to Girls Who Code, a non-profit organization that works to close the gender gap in computer science and programming, according to the settlement filing.

Why did Apple agree to this settlement?

According to the settlement filing, class members who do not opt out "expressly agree to the appropriateness of Apple's commission structure" for the App Store, including the Small Business Program. Class members also release their claims against Apple, including any claim that they were "overcharged" by virtue of Apple's commission on paid app downloads and/or in-app purchases/subscriptions through the App Store.

Can I opt out of the settlement?

Yes. Developers who opt out of the class action lawsuit will not be eligible for a payment from Apple but will retain their individual rights to sue Apple for the claims alleged in the complaint. Details on the opt-out process will likely be shared on the settlement website once it is live, or developers can contact law firm Hagens Berman.

Where can I get more details about the lawsuit?

The class action lawsuit, Cameron et al v. Apple Inc., was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in June 2019. U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers presided over the case. The original complaint is available on CourtListener and more details are available on law firm Hagens Berman's website.

Article Link: Notice to Developers: You Could Be Entitled to Between a $250 and $30,000 Payment From Apple

Last edited:

jwcdis

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Developers really sold themselves off short with only a 100 million dollar payout.

I mean come on, the highest earning tier at $1,000,000 a payout of $30,000 (3%).
The payouts are only really benefiting that 1 cent to 100 dollar tier.
If this new steering rule squashes the 30% Apple Tax fight, Apple will be laughing their way to the bank

Meanwhile Tim Cook gets a 750 million stock payout

Last edited:

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I wonder how many will opt out and sue on their own. I'm guessing there will be a few $1,000,000+ developers sitting in a worthwhile position to do so.

Reactions: SqlInjection

mzeb

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
I am sure many morally bankrupt developers will swarm to get free money.
What about the non-morally bankrupt developers?

Seriously, if this were a patent troll I'd be behind Apple 100%. But it's not. The fact that this was settled though means that Apple with the app devs acknowledges enough merit in their case that litigation might not go Apple's way. The devs in the lawsuit have something at least. With that in mind at least some developers here aren't completely morally bankrupt.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
What about the non-morally bankrupt developers?

Seriously, if this were a patent troll I'd be behind Apple 100%. But it's not. The fact that this was settled though means that Apple with the app devs acknowledges enough merit in their case that litigation might not go Apple's way. The devs in the lawsuit have something at least. With that in mind at least some developers here aren't completely morally bankrupt.

Non-morally bankrupt developers can let the money go to charity. When I signed up as a developer and put my apps and games up I knew exactly what I was signing up for and agreed to the percentages the same as I did with Steam. Apple shouldn't be giving out free money here, if the case is in the favour of these 'developers' then they just put up some new terms and developers can agree or decide to leave. I can't see any logical reason for anyone to get a payout when you already earned on those sales.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Developers really sold themselves off short with only a 100 million dollar payout.

I mean come on, the highest earning tier at $1,000,000 a payout of $30,000 (3%).
The payouts are only really benefiting that 1 cent to 100 dollar tier.
If this new steering rule squashes the 30% Apple Tax fight, Apple will be laughing their way to the bank

Meanwhile Tim Cook gets a 750 million stock payout

Developers in general did not have much to do with this suit as far as I understood. Only two that no one ever heard about as far it can be read in the settlements (weird websites). These got $100M … can now retire after paying the lawyers fees.

The rest might get some candy.

Last edited:
Reactions: arlomedia

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Further, Apple’s market power has allowed it to charge developers a supra- competitive 30% commission on the sale of paid apps and in-app products for almost 11 years now, despite the inevitable accrual of experience and economies of scale.

They should sue Valve next. They have also charged developers 30% since day one and never lowered the cut we agreed to after all this time even though they are the oldest one out there and why Apple too went for 30%.

Last edited:

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
don't be surprised if your next app gets hung up for review or rejected if you claim a reward - just sayin
You are missing the point and need to re-read the article. Apple wants developers to accept the claim because in doing so they are accepting Apple’s terms forgoing any further action. Apple would not punish developers who accept the payment, they want (need?) developers to accept the agreement.

Now, in a conspiracy ridden, tinfoil-hat wearing world you might believe Apple would punish developers who DO NOT accept a settlement but Apple has proven they are not very good at vetting apps or tracking problems in the App Store so it seems unlikely they could pull that off.

By the way, the tinfoil hat actually helps the government spy satellites focus on your brain waves. Bummer, right?

• Haha
Reactions: ss2cire

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lil-babynames/id1015004770 so one of the apps in question is shovelware that clearly didn't sell because he couldn't charge more than $0 but less than $0.99. Two ratings, one of them rather suspect, but heck, he earned millions from it now.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/pure-sweat-basketball-workouts/id891692081 the second app developer produced an app with only one rather bad review. But at least it is somewhat novel. But now everyone is going to pay in some way for the failure of these apps.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
They should sue Valve next. The have also charged developers 30% since day one and never lowered the cut we agreed to after all this time even though they are the oldest one out there and why Apple too went for 30%.
Whoa, this is MacRumours. Don’t be bringing your logic and facts to an “emotion/feigned outrage over things I clearly have not taken a second to understand” fight. Now, back to the regularly scheduled rants and conspiracy theories…

(grabbing popcorn and air-sickness bag)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.