Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
View attachment 2106071

here is the dB reading during phone call on upper ear speaker when "ding" notification sound kicks in.

It was measured few milimeters from speaker.

UPDATE: iPhone wipe and restore with clean start without backup will not help, just tested it...
It is so loud. I have to just flick it onto silent which means I often miss very important business calls/messages/emails when on a lengthy call or have the speaker turned down which then of course lowers the call volume.

We should all call Apple - without the phone to our ears - and at least log this.

PaulG5645

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I did this before returning the purple one... no change. The one I have now is perfect, it just isn't the gorgeous purple colour I wanted. Annoying as I bloody hoped for a purple phone for years but oh well. I couldn't do any work with how it was (I spend hours on the phone each day and can't have it muted because I literally cannot afford to miss a call). Annoying! Was yours doing it?
I’ve got a purple one as well… 🧐 I know tha
Thanks for signing up just to confirm you have the same issue. Besides you and one other poster I can't see anyone with this issue. I wonder what we have in common? Do we all have AirPods by any chance?

I have tried everything...

The MOST peculiar thing I that I have gone through 4 iPhone Pro Max's and every single one has had the same issue. I am starting to wonder if - based on what someone said about headphones - if there is an iCloud bug related to 'remembering' your iCloud-linked AirPods.

I have two iPhone Pro Max's (both 14's) - one personal, one work. I've had the personal one replaced twice due to this issue, hence the 4 phones. Each time they have been setup as brand new phones, I have not copied over a single thing BESIDES iCloud data.

But, I have noticed that each phone is already linked to my AirPods Pro. I have noticed the problem does not present when the AirPods Pro are in my ears.. so maybe there is some bizarre bug here as someone mentioned with their Edifer headphones.

I don't know. It is wrecking my head in all honesty. Literally and audibly.
sorry to burst your theory, but I don’t have any earphones at all :/ not that it couldn’t be related though still

profuturis

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I have a hypothesis that all iP14Pro and iP14ProMax are affected, but we need a check from other members of the forum to confirm it.

Steps to reproduce:
  • make a phone call,
  • set call valume to max,
  • get text message or other notification with standard "ding" notification (it will not work when iWatch or Mac is on),
  • confirm that notification sound is louder than normal call volume and independent of notifications volume setting

Tylow

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
Hi,

Same problem here, I’ve had an Iphone 14 Pro for 3 weeks now. Bough in Paris France and I have the exact same problem. I have no earphone/earpods connected. I did install the phone from the icloud back up.

It’s insane how loud the notification is in my ear when I’m on the phone with someone. The loudest of the Ding is reduced when lowering the volume using the side buttons, but that also reduced the phone (conversation) volume.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

Same problem here, I’ve had an Iphone 14 Pro for 3 weeks now. Bough in Paris France and I have the exact same problem. I have no earphone/earpods connected. I did install the phone from the icloud back up.

It’s insane how loud the notification is in my ear when I’m on the phone with someone. The loudest of the Ding is reduced when lowering the volume using the side buttons, but that also reduced the phone (conversation) volume.
Hi there. Yes, this is the same as all of us. Lowering the volume of the persons voice on the call does lower the notifications too.

I am going to call Apple Support right now and tell them about this thread. You should all call them or else they won't know the issue is actually quite wide spread.

I setup my phone as a brand new phone each time - I don't think this is a backup bug.

Reactions: profuturis

cas_vis95

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
Hello guys, got my iPhone 14 Pro Max few days ago (my first iPhone ever lol) and got this problem too. I'm happy that I'm not alone to have this problem so it means that it is an iOS 16.x problem.
You know if Apple knows about that? If a fix is planned?

EDIT: I've just called the Apple Support, they did a full check of my phone and there are no hardware (luckly lol) issues. They told me that it is an iOS 'problem and they will let me in contact with the engineer department.

Please guys, just call apple and report this annoying issue.

Last edited:

ChocolateFactory

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
Same problem here on iPhone 14 Pro. Fresh install, not restored from backup, wanted to start clean.

What has happened to Apple’s QA? The camera also can’t focus on close objects when it’s opened from an app. Scanning barcodes from MyFitnessPal is difficult…

profuturis

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Same problem here on iPhone 14 Pro. Fresh install, not restored from backup, wanted to start clean.

What has happened to Apple’s QA? The camera also can’t focus on close objects when it’s opened from an app. Scanning barcodes from MyFitnessPal is difficult…
I have reported it to Apple Support, but there are only few complaints from the users. They will report me back with answer on friday.
If You have the same problem, please report it to the support line, the more reports we make then the higher the chance will be that someone in Apple will do something about it.

Reactions: cas_vis95

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I on the phone to a senior advisor now as well. They said it is finally considered a recognised problem. What is so confusing is that I have had 5 iPhones and all with the same issue. So strange.

Krishell

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
Sometimes my airpod max playing notification sound extremely loud. Hurts really bad. And sometimes they do it several times in a row. And now it's start happening to my iPhone 14pro during call. The ear speaker blast notification sounds. I almost throwed the phone in the wall in anger.. Apple don't respond when I report it.

Krishell

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
I tried to record video. But then it turn off the music. And of course... Never happens when trying to repeat the problem. Think I'm going to charge a old phone and trying to get it on video.

profuturis

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I have checked: iPhone 13 after upgrade to iOS 16 does not have this problem, so it not iOS 16 issue. It seems that only iPhone 14 Pro and ProMax are affected and maybe IP14 - could someone check IP14 nonpro?

Tylow

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022

Same here, Iphone 14 Pro won't focus on close objects when the camera is beeing used through an App. For example I need to scan invoices using Adobe Scan and it doesn't work as well as it used to be on Iphone 13 Pro Max, you have to stand 30cm (12 inches) from the A4 invoice so the scan in not blurry. If I do the same using the regular Iphone Camera I can take a clear picture less than 10cm from the paper.

My wife just set up her brand new Iphone 14 pro and she has the same problem with the ridiculously loud notification in the ear.

Tylow

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
I've just spent 1hr on the phone with apple support (Dublin). We tried lots of things but couldn't fix the problem. It appears that the loud Ding only appears for Whatsapp notifications but not for regular texts. Is it the same for you?

As for the camera trouble they are already aware of the problem.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Same here, Iphone 14 Pro won't focus on close objects when the camera is beeing used through an App. For example I need to scan invoices using Adobe Scan and it doesn't work as well as it used to be on Iphone 13 Pro Max, you have to stand 30cm (12 inches) from the A4 invoice so the scan in not blurry. If I do the same using the regular Iphone Camera I can take a clear picture less than 10cm from the paper.

My wife just set up her brand new Iphone 14 pro and she has the same problem with the ridiculously loud notification in the ear.
Yeah I had this issue when trying scan a Starbucks gift card.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I've just spent 1hr on the phone with apple support (Dublin). We tried lots of things but couldn't fix the problem. It appears that the loud Ding only appears for Whatsapp notifications but not for regular texts. Is it the same for you?

Nope. Any notifications- Telegram, iMessages etc

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I have a feeling this hardware related since they are using some new sensor under the screen now.Same reason why you can’t adjust call volume if the phone is against your ear.

loresalo76

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
I'm having the same issues. 14 pro max less than 3 weeks. Can't adjust the volume when its against my ear, I have to do it in all phone calls since my 13 pro max was lower and the 14 pro max the volume is louder. Same issues with notifications. I just checked and there is a 16.1.1 update. Anyone installed yet?

profuturis

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I'm having the same issues. 14 pro max less than 3 weeks. Can't adjust the volume when its against my ear, I have to do it in all phone calls since my 13 pro max was lower and the 14 pro max the volume is louder. Same issues with notifications. I just checked and there is a 16.1.1 update. Anyone installed yet?
I have installed it. It did not solve the problem.

Mrwest

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2022
You are absolutely spot on. I have the iPhone 14 Pro in my housekeeper the other day could hear it blow up in my ear when somebody tried to berpin or if you receive a text while the phones up to your ear you feel like it just lost permanently hearing

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue. Absolutely deafening when I receive a message while the handset is up to my ear. Does anyone know if this problem can be resolved in the future with a software update? Thank you.

loresalo76

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
I just found another issue after updated to 16.1.1. First I didn't received a group text that was sent to me yesterday afternoon until this morning. And now my phone is dinging 2 times after I get a message. It sounds once and if I don't read the message right away, a couple of seconds after it sounds again for the same message... this phone is making me insane

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011

Mine is texts and WhatsApp. But nothing else.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue. Absolutely deafening when I receive a message while the handset is up to my ear. Does anyone know if this problem can be resolved in the future with a software update? Thank you.
Honestly, I have no idea. The thing which STILL baffles me is I have 2 iPhone 14 Pro Max's. I've had 5 of them, all with this issue since release. I just stopped buying new ones/doing Genius Bar replacements.

However the Apple Store (Sydney, Australia) haven't seen anyone present with this issue. So why do I have it present on all 5 phones, all setup as brand new phones without ANY iCloud backups or settings transfer?

Unless there is some weird bug in my iCloud account that somehow affects volume. It is most baffling. Mail, Gmail etc aren't loud from memory, its Messages app and WhatsApp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.