Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrobble12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Hi. I'm new here, and new to iOS as well. I've just got an iPhone SE. So far everything is ok, except from one thing that keeps bothering me. When the phone is locked, everytime I get, for example, a whatsapp message, the screen turns on for a few seconds. I don't want to disable notifications on the lock screen. I just want the screen not to turn on everytime I get a notification; I wanna see them unlocking the screen manually.

Thanks!

scrobble12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
You're kidding, right?!

Bad idea...

Why? I don't get u, or maybe I don't know how to explain the problem (English is not my native tongue). But screen turning on everytime I get a message is clearly something I do not want

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What you want is not how iOS works. Hence bufffilm making this comment.

It is achievable but you'd have to jailbreak your iPhone and right now there is no jailbreak for iOS 9.2 and above.

The only other solution is to turn notifications off on your lockscreen and then just pull down notification center to see if you've recieved any.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Ah yes, a notification feature that bypasses the security of your device. Great idea.

scrobble12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
What you want is not how iOS works. Hence bufffilm making this comment.

It is achievable but you'd have to jailbreak your iPhone and right now there is no jailbreak for iOS 9.2 and above.

The only other solution is to turn notifications off on your lockscreen and then just pull down notification center to see if you've recieved any.

Oh ok, I was just asking because I didn't know and maybe there was a way. Thanks for the responses then!

Reactions: eyoungren

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi. I'm new here, and new to iOS as well. I've just got an iPhone SE. So far everything is ok, except from one thing that keeps bothering me. When the phone is locked, everytime I get, for example, a whatsapp message, the screen turns on for a few seconds. I don't want to disable notifications on the lock screen. I just want the screen not to turn on everytime I get a notification; I wanna see them unlocking the screen manually.

Thanks!
It does it to notify you basically, that's basically the point of it. I guess you can use Do Not Disturb mode (and enable phone calls in it) and set it up only to apply to when the phone is locked, that way you won't be notified of any notifications when the phone is locked, but they would still be there if you turn the phone on yourself and would still work the same way when the phone is unlocked.

Reactions: eagle_man

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about putting your phone face down? The screen doesn't turn on for notifications then to preserve battery.
There's that too, although I don't know if all of the iPhone support not having the screen turn on in that orientation, but at the very least even if it does it won't really be seen (on the other hand if someone still wants to be visually notified of calls and perhaps some other more important notifications like messages or emails, then that won't work out quite as well).

Last edited:

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
There's that too, although I don't know if all of the iPhone support not having the screen turn on in that orientation, but at the very least even if it does it won't really be seen (on the other hand if someone still wants to be notified of calls and perhaps some other more important notifications like messages or emails, then that won't work out quite as well).

It is available in the SE which the OP has. iPhone 5S and up has it I believe.

Mine still vibrates for notifications and calls when it is facedown. The screen just doesn't come on.

scrobble12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
It does it to notify you basically, that's basically the point of it. I guess you can use Do Not Disturb mode (and enable phone calls in it) and set it up only to apply to when the phone is locked, that way you won't be notified of any notifications when the phone is locked, but they would still be there if you turn the phone on yourself and would still work the same way when the phone is unlocked.

Yes! This is what I was asking for, thank u very much!

What about putting your phone face down? The screen doesn't turn on for notifications then to preserve battery.

Oh that's a good one too, I'll try it as well. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.