Notifications will be so nice!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jrauguste, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jrauguste macrumors newbie

jrauguste

Sitting at the bar watching ncaa tournament just reliazed how many times im touching my phone looking to see if I have any missed notifications...April 24th can't wait!  watch#

2. eifer macrumors regular

That's the part I'm not decided on.. I'm not sure if I need more notifications. I can live without more notifications.

3. jrauguste thread starter macrumors newbie

jrauguste

The fact that I won't have to check and the subtle notification... Priceless

4. betabeta macrumors 6502a

If I could I would go back to when nobody could reach me when I was out:D

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wish or you just say your battery died :D

6. walshy1009 macrumors regular

walshy1009

The notifications do look very nice. Being able to view whats happening in the middle of class on my AW without running the risk of pulling my phone out of my pocket and possibly getting in trouble for using my phone in class. Brilliant.

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

If all you want are notifications for emails, texts, calls, calendar appts, etc on your wrist, there are smartwatches already available that cost 1/4 what the cheapest Apple Watch is gonna cost and already work with the iPhone. Pebble and Martian Notifier, just to name 2.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't think the OP talking about "more". Just that he doesn't have to worry about missing important notifications because of the loud environment he's in since the Watch can tap him, like someone tapping you on the wrist.

9. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Now am sure that is you joking, but you have the option NOT to be reached when out. Leave the bloody thing at home. But we all know you won't ;)

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have come to the conclusion that almost everyone here must be a world leader, or the head of some multinational corporation, or perhaps at the head of NASA making decisions about a moon landing.

God forbid for a few minutes you are unreachable!

Will these people every know the job of turning the bloody thing off, going out for the entire day, unreachable?

11. Elzbeth macrumors regular

No world leader, but I am a mum who rarely has more than one hand free at a time, notifications on my wrist will be so handy. I've seen the competition and I much prefer the layout and design of the Apple watch :)

12. dilap macrumors 6502a

Yesss! Get so many notifications in the middle of lessons and I ALWAYS get in trouble when I check. Now to download that calculator app........ ;)

13. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

This. I think that's what concerns me the most. We've become addicted to checking for notifications. This will only enhance that as now we'll "feel" every one--it won't just be because we looked. Definitely have to find a balance.

14. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Yes, and being able to reply to notifications will be even better! (I'm looking at you Pebble)

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The people I work for sorta think that. I swear I need to be available at all times (mon-fri). If I do not get back to someone ASAP, I could be out of a job =/

A smartwatch has actually be very useful :)

16. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I am looking forward to them. I was in an 8 hour meeting yesterday where there were only 2 breaks to check for messages, and I missed a couple that I really should have taken.

17. the future macrumors 65816

And they are also super U-G-L-Y and will never be stolen! Double win!

(Nevermind that a Pebble does not indeed cost 1/4 of an Apple Watch and that notifications are not actionable.)

----------

And I have come to the conclusion that if you have, at this point, after weeks of discussions, still not understood that the Apple Watch will indeed save time by making it faster and easier to ignore unimportant mails and/or send short replies, you either simply can't or don't want to.

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

You won't be receiving more notifications. You'll be receiving the notifications that are sent to your phone.

19. Glene macrumors 6502

I'm actually looking forward to managing my tunes, email using plane wifi, , etc with my phone put safely away in my briefcase on a plane trip.

20. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Pebble - $79-$99
    Martian - $99-$129

Cheapest Apple Watch mens size = $400

Is basic math difficult?

As for actionable ntifications, we shall see how well the Apple Watch can handle that, but chances are, since the phone has to be on your person anyway, it won't be a feature used as often as you think.

And your are right the Pebble is ugly. But at least it doesn't look as effaminate as the Apple Watch. The Martian Notifier on the other hand is a real watch, so automatically wins in the looks department.

21. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'm confused, why don't you either not answer or just not take your phone with you? If you don't want to be reached, don't be.

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

Having had an original Pebble since its launch I've become use to having notifications on my watch and only answering or responding to them when I choose and otherwise dismissing them. However the Pebble as nice as it is it is too basic and I'm looking forward to the added sophistication of the :apple:Watch.

23. arubinst macrumors 6502

Well, I live alone here. Part of my family lives on the other side of the world and I'm more than happy to be reachable all day long just to stay in touch and feel they're closer to me. It's also reassuring to know that in case of an emergency, I can always be found.

I also happen to have a job very far from being the head of a multinational corporation. I'm not a world leader either. I just teach at a university and I do scientific research. But that doesn't stop the 20+ emails that I get during the day that are work related. I also have several meetings every week with their corresponding calendar reminders.

Most of my friends have similar always-available-connected-lives. I thought this was common these days for everyone.

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Looked up Martian Notifier, and it's extremely ugly.

25. dannyyankou, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Did I really just see someone call the Apple Watch effeminate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good lord.