Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
It will be nice to have a Apple watch and get notifaction to your watch, since when I'm at work sometimes my parents text me and my phone is in my pocket and I do not know they sent a text in til I get to the car, but I I have a Apple watch then I could check my watch,

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
The other watches on the market? Some are much, much better looking than the Apple Watch and some are uglier. If Apple had designed the Moto 360, everyone (including you) would be praising it as the pinnacle of watch styling and innovation. But since Apple could only make a square lump, every other watch must only be suitable for 'nerds'. LOL And since a watch like the LG mimmics the style of a Tag, Tissot, Rolex... anyone that has ever owned a classic watch must have been 'nerds' too. Love your reasoning. Just admit you want a woman's piece of jewelry. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Everyone? Really? I had an android phone and loved the Moto 360 design, then I got an iPhone, so no point getting it. It seems to me that you are calling everyone on here an Apple fanboy/girl, and love whatever they do. That's wrong, there is android enthusiasts, and apple ones as well. Then there are people who are in the middle. In the end, everyone chose what's right for them.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Sitting at the bar watching ncaa tournament just reliazed how many times im touching my phone looking to see if I have any missed notifications...April 24th can't wait!  watch#

Like I said in another thread the average user checks their phone like 5 times in 2-3 minutes to see if they missed anything. The Apple watch will eliminate that habit completely.

----------

If all you want are notifications for emails, texts, calls, calendar appts, etc on your wrist, there are smartwatches already available that cost 1/4 what the cheapest Apple Watch is gonna cost and already work with the iPhone. Pebble and Martian Notifier, just to name 2.

Yeah, too bad you can't do anything with the notification on the Pebble watch other than dismiss it which makes you reach for your phone anyway.

----------

Pebble - $79-$99
Martian - $99-$129

Cheapest Apple Watch mens size = $400

Is basic math difficult?

As for actionable ntifications, we shall see how well the Apple Watch can handle that, but chances are, since the phone has to be on your person anyway, it won't be a feature used as often as you think.

And your are right the Pebble is ugly. But at least it doesn't look as effaminate as the Apple Watch. The Martian Notifier on the other hand is a real watch, so automatically wins in the looks department.

$99 for a dumb watch like the Pebble isn't a bad deal until you realize you can't do anything with the notifications other than dismiss them and how ugly and jagged every analog watch face looks on that inferior eInk display.

walshy1009

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
Victoria, Australia
I see schools / teachers banning smartwatches in class soon. You'll get away with it for about a week until teachers see everyone staring at their wrists and sending drawings to friends and ban it all. Rules change with the times. When I was in school, one kid had a "mobile" phone that his dad gave him. It had a shoulder strap to carry it. There were no rules against cell phones back then because nobody had one.

Well kids last year started to wear android watches at school but there's been no mention of a smart watch ban or teachers looking out for them, let alone knowing what they are!!!

Apple though, will make the smart watch industry present to those who didn't know much about them (e.g: teachers, watch goers)

I also see a smart watch ban taking place at schools, just not straight away. Give it a few years or until smart watch adoption amongst teens start to rise until noticeable by the average teacher.

jwball

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
Well kids last year started to wear android watches at school but there's been no mention of a smart watch ban or teachers looking out for them, let alone knowing what they are!!!

Apple though, will make the smart watch industry present to those who didn't know much about them (e.g: teachers, watch goers)

I also see a smart watch ban taking place at schools, just not straight away. Give it a few years or until smart watch adoption amongst teens start to rise until noticeable by the average teacher.

Especially once exam cheating apps start appearing!

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
You can lift your wrist up and say "Hey Siri" in a Dick Tracy style.

So rather than see people walk down the street oblivious to the world around them with their face in their smartphone, people will be talking to their arms instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.