Now Nokia is having a go at Apple over the Death Grip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MH01, Jun 28, 2010.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

2. tuatha macrumors regular

And rightly so.

If I had told you a week ago that the new iPhone was going to have an issue like this and that the reply would be 'hold it a different way' you wouldn't have believed it.

Nobody would have.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

Head to head, they normally don't fare very well. They have to take their shots when they can and take advantage of any opportunity. It won't help.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't matter. Nokia never sold 1.7 million on the first weekend of launch. Apple has. Apple wins.

5. tuatha macrumors regular

Not in the US, but globally Nokia has about a 40% share of the mobile market. (depending on which figures you read - some have them at just under 35%)

6. Nieval macrumors 6502

You know, I personally hate Nokia, but keeping in mind that Apple based their whole OS X ad/media campaign on picking out Windows Vista mistakes, I say good for Nokia, I'm all for it.

BTW, in no way am I implying that this is Apple's Vista.

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

"Nokia - We make phones people don't even want to touch."

8. pooryou macrumors 65816

9. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

Fair point. The Get a mac ads where very smug

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

After years of "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" I don't see how ANYONE can complain about stuff like this.

Totally fair. Good for them.

(And I am, as you say, a super Apple Fanboi who will never give up his iPhone! So if I'm saying this, it really means something.)

11. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Thats what happens when you STEAL ;)

Keep your hands to yourself lol

12. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

I wouldn't say this is a representation of the whole company of Nokia, just one of their bloggers using Ovi suite...

Also Nokia has never sold 1.7 million on a release ever, but I'm pretty sure they sold 20 million units of a cell phone [Nokia 2100] (first really cheap cell phone for public use)

[​IMG]

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Although it is "fair" it's also kind of dumb.

Now people are coming out of the woodworks with videos of Nokia phones doing the same thing.

Is the iPhone's problem worse than theirs? Yeah, probably. But before this all the bad press was going Apple's way. By sticking their neck out Nokia gonna get sucked into the coverage too.

So while it's "fair" of them to critisize Apple, it would have been smarter of them to just shut up and watch Apple get beat up.

14. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

Nokia shouldn't even shut up, Apple has stolen and been sued by Nokia numerous times for using their patents.

Also, again, that blog does not represent the whole of the Nokia company.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When I say they shouldn't brag about how to hold their own phones, what makes you think I'm also talking about what their lawyers should do?

Those are clearly very different things, are they not?

I'm not clear...do they own it at all? If it's like Macrumors then I was wrong, it has nothing to do with them.

But if it's like Steve's e-mails...not representitive, but still an employee...then my criticism stands.

16. tuatha macrumors regular

what planet are you on?

Mobile market share by manufacturer, as of May 2010:

http://stats.getjar.com/statistics/

See if you can find Apple in there. Hint: you'll have to scroll down quite a way.

Nokia moves 8 million phones every single week. They're the world's biggest phone manufacturer.

17. diabolic macrumors 68000

18. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

Nokia conversations is designed and run by the community of global Nokia users.

19. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Lets take that further in context. The upstart Apple, that was not in the mobile market Introduces a phone, a single design phone, that takes a significant chunk of the market and is the one to beat in the matter of three years. As the world market leader Nokia fails, as they got smacked by a mobile upstart. That to me is a little more an embarrassment.

20. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

+1 Finally someone who isn't an idiot. Nokia is responsible for pretty much anyone holding a cell phone today.

I work for Nokia and we're never embarrassed to have 8/10 phones on the top ten most sold phones list per year.

21. tuatha macrumors regular

I'd love to see Nokia go Android for their next big smartphone. They make good, reliable phones but their OS' tend to be a bit lacking.

Very unlikely, though.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So it IS more like Macrumors than the official Apple.com message boards then, right?

Well in that case, Nokia has no control over it I guess.

23. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

Nope it's a subdomain of nokia.com.

Have a look at the privacy policy takes you to nokia.com

24. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Lets take that further in context. The upstart Apple, that was not in the mobile market Introduces a phone, a single design phone, that takes a significant chunk of the market and is the one to beat in the matter of three years. As the world market leader Nokia fails, as they got smacked by a mobile upstart. That to me is a little more an embarrassment.