Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It does when I start a video, but it doesn't stutter as much as YouView for some reason. YouView actually never used to do this before, but now it does either when I pause the video, or fast forward it. Maybe it could be cause by my slow internet connection? I'm not sure.

Have you tried wiping out the application and reinstalling YouView?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
mSATA adapters are not a tight fit. They come in standard 2.5" sizes with a 50 pin PATA connection on them for use in laptops.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
mSATA cards are roughly the size of two of your fingers. They are the best way to go if you want a SSD in a Powerbook, iBook, or other PATA 2.5" machine.

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Im rebuilding a PM G5 Quad right now and hope to have it be my go to machine...
just got a GeForce 7800 GTX card today. still looking for a good compatable pci-e wifi card...anyone know a good one that works with the pcie-1x slot that is also 10.5.8 compatable? either speed, g or n is acceptable.

Kevin

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Im rebuilding a PM G5 Quad right now and hope to have it be my go to machine...
just got a GeForce 7800 GTX card today. still looking for a good compatable pci-e wifi card...anyone know a good one that works with the pcie-1x slot that is also 10.5.8 compatable? either speed, g or n is acceptable.

Kevin

Frankly, I think it would just be better to get an AirPort Extreme for it. They run pretty cheap on eBay, might pick one up for my G5 since it doesn't have a wifi card

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Frankly, I think it would just be better to get an AirPort Extreme for it. They run pretty cheap on eBay, might pick one up for my G5 since it doesn't have a wifi card

Late '05 G5s(including the Quad 2.5, dual core 2.3, and dual core 2.0) unfortunately don't use the same AE card as the earlier G5s. They require a combo airport/bluetooth card that fits on a special "runway" card. The combo card is easy to find and cheap(I think that a couple of iMacs and maybe Macbook Pros used the same card). The "Runway" card is not so easy to find, and most folks on Ebay want $75+ for one.

When I was faced with the same problem for my late '05 G5, I bought a cheap mini PCI-e Airport Extreme card intended for a later Mac(not sure what model) and an even cheaper mini PCI-e to PCI-e adapter. The total cost was about $20, and it works perfectly.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
My Mac Pro has taken the place of my poor PowerMac G5 :(. It feels like a waste because I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and everything. I undid my lighting set-up and put it in my Mac Pro, but it doesn't look as nice since the Mac Pro's internals are more closed-up.

I thought you only had your MacBook Pro? Or did Santa bring you a Mac Pro? :rolleyes:

----------

The cards are cheap but the antennas can be expensive. Fortunately there are workarounds for that.

I had a nice fella just the other week on this forum who has a lot of extra Mac parts who sent me an extra antenna he had lying around. So now I don't have to buy a $40+ one!:D

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I thought you only had your MacBook Pro? Or did Santa bring you a Mac Pro? :rolleyes:

----------

I had a nice fella just the other week on this forum who has a lot of extra Mac parts who sent me an extra antenna he had lying around. So now I don't have to buy a $40+ one!:D

I still have my MacBook Pro, which was my first Intel Mac. However, I recently couldn't pass up a deal on a 1,1 Mac Pro for $50 :).

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
I have a Power Macintosh 6100 (one of the first PPC Macs) and a 1.0GHz PowerBook G4 (Titanium) on hand that I use just sometimes. They're currently mostly idle -- the G4 needs a new hard disk and maybe a battery, and the 6100 could use a PRAM battery. Both need access to a netatalk server (on which I'll also run samba) so I can share data between them and my more modern machines.

One day,when I have some more space, I'll pull out my Quadra 840av and my LaserWriter 360 Select as well.

It's really interesting to see the number of posts here that talk about PowerPC as though staying the PPC course is an ideological posiiton that's important to prove a point.

Just out of curiosity, to whom are you proving the point? It seems like doing this is really just tightening the noose around your own ability to get things done in a reasonable manner, such as PowerMac G4 MDD's posting about stalling while opening collaborative documents online, here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20553347/

Kind of tangentially, while most of my computers are Intel-based, my main portable computer at this point is a Microsoft Surface RT. I like it for a few different reasons, most of which revolve around the iPad-like battery life, and its ability to run most of the Microsoft Office suite fairly well. I was also admittedly curious at what Microsoft's second major push toward Windows on non-Intel platforms would look like.

What's interesting is that while it more or less "still meets my needs" (runs Word and OneNote fast enough) -- computing as a whole has absolutely moved beyond it, and today there are plenty of less expensive devices that'll do more, better, and faster. The main reason I haven't replace it, in light of that, is because it also still gets security updates. In the style of AppleWorks 5 or WordPerfect 3.5 on my Power Mac 6100, it's as good at running Word 2013 today as it was two years ago. I'm just fortunate in that most of the time, I don't need to do a whole lot on the web with this system, because that's definitely its weak point.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I have a Power Macintosh 6100 (one of the first PPC Macs) and a 1.0GHz PowerBook G4 (Titanium) on hand that I use just sometimes. They're currently mostly idle -- the G4 needs a new hard disk and maybe a battery, and the 6100 could use a PRAM battery. Both need access to a netatalk server (on which I'll also run samba) so I can share data between them and my more modern machines.

One day,when I have some more space, I'll pull out my Quadra 840av and my LaserWriter 360 Select as well.

It's really interesting to see the number of posts here that talk about PowerPC as though staying the PPC course is an ideological posiiton that's important to prove a point.

Just out of curiosity, to whom are you proving the point? It seems like doing this is really just tightening the noose around your own ability to get things done in a reasonable manner, such as PowerMac G4 MDD's posting about stalling while opening collaborative documents online, here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20553347/

Kind of tangentially, while most of my computers are Intel-based, my main portable computer at this point is a Microsoft Surface RT. I like it for a few different reasons, most of which revolve around the iPad-like battery life, and its ability to run most of the Microsoft Office suite fairly well. I was also admittedly curious at what Microsoft's second major push toward Windows on non-Intel platforms would look like.

What's interesting is that while it more or less "still meets my needs" (runs Word and OneNote fast enough) -- computing as a whole has absolutely moved beyond it, and today there are plenty of less expensive devices that'll do more, better, and faster. The main reason I haven't replace it, in light of that, is because it also still gets security updates. In the style of AppleWorks 5 or WordPerfect 3.5 on my Power Mac 6100, it's as good at running Word 2013 today as it was two years ago. I'm just fortunate in that most of the time, I don't need to do a whole lot on the web with this system, because that's definitely its weak point.

Ah a fellow 6100 owner! Sorry that this comment isn't helping anything, but it doesn't seem like anyone owns that computer

TBerk

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
I've been known to refurb systems heading towards the Dumpster (not even the Recycling Center, the Dumpster!) so I came across different kinds of systems all the time.

Currently I've an eMac and a bondi blue iMac (w/ 128M RAM :eek:) and am just getting around to determining the exact model numbers of each.

I'm looking to update the RAM on each as a minimal expenditure and if the OS is decent and/or I can install an open source OS like Xubuntu, they might live to fight another day.

I find these systems can serve as Web Browsers, Reference Stations (dump all your ebooks and repair manuals, etc onto it) and basic
"I need to borrow a computer, can I get online with your fancy everyday rig?,...
uh, No- use this one instead..." type system.

I have plans for at least one of them to be a Music/Video editing mule on the workbench and get the other one placed as an entry level "if they blow it up I can just reload the image" type training wheels computer.

TBerk

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
< snip >
Sounds pretty cool to maybe be using a 1990s Mac at work. xD I actually just got a LaserWriter 4/600 PS with my Performa 5215CD, and it works very nicely---such a cool printer! Someone online found me a driver image for it, so that I could maybe load it on some other Macs to be able to print from them; however, the file size is larger than any floppy disk I have been able to find so far... I am trying to find a way to get this 3+MB file onto a Mac that has no internet connection. Are floppies over 1.4MB uncommon? I have tons of diskettes and cannot seem to find a larger one anywhere! :-|

Traditionally, (all last Century and everything) I'd use a util to split the large file into 1.44M sized .arj or .zip files, spanning as many diskettes as required, and reassemble the on the target computer.

Two things; I'm replying prior to actually reading the whole thread's responses, and I'd need to recollect, search for an actual name of said util- I remember doing it, I forget with what on a Mac platform.

(and then there is the 21st Century Sneaker-Net version where an external USB hard drive serves to get the job done, when possible...)

Performa 5215CD. OK, It looks like USB is out, but there should be a CD (700M) and a SCSI port; I think I have a DB-25 SCSI Ext Drive in a milk crate somewhere, doesn't everybody?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I just bought a 15" DLSD for no reason, so I plan to use PowerPC machines more this year than ever before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.