Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
Is there any word on what functionality will be available on the Samsung Gear, or are we looking at a glorified pebble watch?

like what features are you looking for. i used it for a few days i could answer some qiestions

Reactions: Ffosse

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I thought I saw stories in the front page that pop-up Apple Watch stores were shutting down due to soft sales. And anecdotally I don't see a lot of Apple Watches and no one else in my circle has one.
I personally have seen only one person with a Samsung Gear Watch or really any other brand. However, we do have a tendency to see what we have versus what we don't. Apple is all about marketing and all you have to do is watch popular TV and you see the Apple Watch. Raj on Big Bang Theory, Phil on Modern Family, Mike on Suits just to name a few all wearing Apple Watches - I think Phil and Mike have SS with SS Link Bracelet. I watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and there is usually at least one guest per week wearing an Apple Watch. This week was Davie Chapelle (sp?). You just don't see Gear watches on TV. To me, the Gears have been very ugly or now, just too big.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
like what features are you looking for. i used it for a few days i could answer some qiestions

Here's what I am currently doing on my Apple Watch.

1) Apple Pay.

2) Interacting with notifications. I love being able to triage incoming email and dictate short replies to messages from my wrist, especially when my phone is not on me.

3) Siri on the wrist can be handy. I am using it to calculate discounted prices of products in shopping malls (e.g. "What is 70% of $139”)

4) Use the workout app to track my runs. Loving the heart rate sensor as well (not sure how accurate it is though).

5) Have apps like 1Password and Authy saved to my dock. I can now retrieve passwords and 2FA codes directly from my wrist.

6) It's just an nice watch all round (albeit one I have to charge every 1-2 days).

How much of that functionality can the Gear replicate?

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Sorry, title should say "Now that..."

I'm definitely considering getting an S3 Frontier. My friend has an S2 and i was honestly a bit jealous. I love the styling and the bezel is a great way to interact with the watch. The circular face is also very elegant. Functionally, it seems it will do everything I need and with an always on face and better advertised battery life it's very alluring. Besides Apple Pay, I wonder what I you would miss?

I think this could be a blow to what is already a struggling product at Apple.
Im late but: not me

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I personally have seen only one person with a Samsung Gear Watch or really any other brand. However, we do have a tendency to see what we have versus what we don't. Apple is all about marketing and all you have to do is watch popular TV and you see the Apple Watch. Raj on Big Bang Theory, Phil on Modern Family, Mike on Suits just to name a few all wearing Apple Watches - I think Phil and Mike have SS with SS Link Bracelet. I watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and there is usually at least one guest per week wearing an Apple Watch. This week was Davie Chapelle (sp?). You just don't see Gear watches on TV. To me, the Gears have been very ugly or now, just too big.

Excellent points. It's amazing how you see the Apple Watch like you mentioned on celebrities or on TV. A lot of times, I like watching NBA basketball games. And when watching the NBA games on TV, they usually like to show the fans in the audience during halftime or in between replays, and I can't tell you how many times I can see hundreds of fans wearing The Apple Watch. And I look all the time to see who is wearing what type a smart watch, and predominantly, it's the Apple Watch is everywhere. Once in a great while I do see a Samsung or pebble.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
Here's what I am currently doing on my Apple Watch.

1) Apple Pay.

2) Interacting with notifications. I love being able to triage incoming email and dictate short replies to messages from my wrist, especially when my phone is not on me.

3) Siri on the wrist can be handy. I am using it to calculate discounted prices of products in shopping malls (e.g. "What is 70% of $139”)

4) Use the workout app to track my runs. Loving the heart rate sensor as well (not sure how accurate it is though).

5) Have apps like 1Password and Authy saved to my dock. I can now retrieve passwords and 2FA codes directly from my wrist.

6) It's just an nice watch all round (albeit one I have to charge every 1-2 days).

How much of that functionality can the Gear replicate?

1 - Nope
2 - You can read and delete but cant reply
3- Nope
4 - Yes does this pretty well. But wont intergrate with Apple Health
5 - apps are super limited right now

Its like having a Garmin Watch becasue it can do some things but not others. No device is going to do everything an apple watch does on an IOS device

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
1 - Nope
2 - You can read and delete but cant reply
3- Nope
4 - Yes does this pretty well. But wont intergrate with Apple Health
5 - apps are super limited right now

Its like having a Garmin Watch becasue it can do some things but not others. No device is going to do everything an apple watch does on an IOS device
So what exactly is the value proposition of a Samsung Gear watch over an Apple Watch. Both cost about the same, but you are getting vastly better integration with the Apple Watch here. And if you want health tracking, that's what those dedicated trackers like the Timex and Garmin bands are for, aren't they?

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
So what exactly is the value proposition of a Samsung Gear watch over an Apple Watch. Both cost about the same, but you are getting vastly better integration with the Apple Watch here. And if you want health tracking, that's what those dedicated trackers like the Timex and Garmin bands are for, aren't they?
M

I guess that is sorta what you would be buying. The display is insanely good. I have had a Garmin Fenix 3 and its an mazing watch for fitness, but it was ok for a smart watch. All depends what the user wants to get out of the experience
[doublepost=1484489978][/doublepost]I did forget to mention that you can control your music as well. I am going to play around with it today some more and see what else is cool and isnt

Also you can take phone calls and that is pretty clear and works rather well

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I never had a Pebble. But compared to all the Android Wear and Samsung Gear watches I've had, AW has stronger haptic feedback.

I recently moved from a Pebble Time to the Apple Watch (S2), and I prefer the subtler vibrations on the Apple Watch. It feels more solid, less rattly. Now, I've only had the AW for a day, so I'm still feeling my way through it, but so far so good.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I have to admit it, the Samsung S3 Classic is a nice looking watch.
Pretty competitively priced. I'm not knowlegeable about it's Tizen OS to make a fair assessment.

Also with rumoured upcoming Android wear upgrade at Google I/O, it will be interesting to see if Google decides forgo iOS support.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have to admit it, the Samsung S3 Classic is a nice looking watch.
Pretty competitively priced. I'm not knowlegeable about it's Tizen OS to make a fair assessment.

Also with rumoured upcoming Android wear upgrade at Google I/O, it will be interesting to see if Google decides forgo iOS support.

Agree. The Samsung S3 classic is sharp and I like the bezel. I also like it how it blends in more traditionally. I Can't contest to how Tizen runs on the watch. But from what I've seen, it looks like it runs fairly well and most seem to be happy with it.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
One co-worker has recently bought a Samsung Gear S3 and was showing it off at work... well he was trying to impress us on the huge variety of different imitation watch faces including Omega's, Paget's, Rolex's, IWC's or what-have-you, and he seems quite excited by these different looks. I wasn't quite as impressed and first of all, I'm not into these knock-off looks and secondly, what's the substance left behind the whole thing after the novelty wears off?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
One co-worker has recently bought a Samsung Gear S3 and was showing it off at work... well he was trying to impress us on the huge variety of different imitation watch faces including Omega's, Paget's, Rolex's, IWC's or what-have-you, and he seems quite excited by these different looks. I wasn't quite as impressed and first of all, I'm not into these knock-off looks and secondly, what's the substance left behind the whole thing after the novelty wears off?

I think Samsung makes a nice watch. Their software I have yet to test with Tizen. But overall, I like the Samsung Gear Classic S3.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Does switching entirely from Apple count? I traded my iPhone 6 plus and 42mm watch for a Pixel XL and a Gear S3 Frontier. The S3 actually feels like a real watch and not a calculator on your wrist. I also thought the 42mm watch felt too small at least for me. I do miss having the Viber and Tripview apps but the always on display and barometer more than make up for it.
IMG_5604.JPG
IMG_20170130_122912.jpg

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Does switching entirely from Apple count? I traded my iPhone 6 plus and 42mm watch for a Pixel XL and a Gear S3 Frontier. The S3 actually feels like a real watch and not a calculator on your wrist. I also thought the 42mm watch felt too small at least for me. I do miss having the Viber and Tripview apps but the always on display and barometer more than make up for it.
Not specifically the S3, but yeah, using AW on iPhone and Android wear on Android make sense since each product is optimized for its respective platform (in case of AW, it works only on iPhone).
I use my Moto 360 (love the circle face) when I use my Android phone, and my AW when I use my iPhone. Best experience of each world.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
42mm AW S1 arrives tomorrow. Fiance went from Gear S2 Classic w/ an S7 to her old 6S+ and 38mm AW S1. Both have their pros and cons. I absolutely hate Tizen as a phone OS, but man if they didn't nail it on the watch OS. Looking fwd to playing with the S3. Sammy nailed the rotating bezel/dial. Sadly, due to my profession, they are cracking down on smartwatches at work, so I'm not sure how much I'll be wearing mine in my day to day routine, which means the ol' trusty G Shock will be my daily still. I was supposed to order the Fenix HR3 a while back, but sort of glad I didn't as that is just too much money for me to have tied up in a piece of tech that will be outdated, very quickly. (Same could be said for phones, but we are talking very limited functionality for the price of the Fenix).

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Guess it depends on what the watch is going to be used for / as....

If it's to be used primarily as a smartwatch for notifications ect then the Gear is not bad.. As a fitness watch? Nope and it's not even close..

For fitness the fenix demolishes both and the AW is much better than the Gear for fitness types.. For a combo of smartwatch and fitness the AW wins.. The Gear is good as a smartwatch only type usage in my opinion..

By fitness I do not mean as a calorie counter, a stand reminder or as a basic step counter. I mean actual fitness stuff like running, swimming, cycling ect....

It all boils down to what the intended use of the watch is for...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think it really varies depending on what each person sees in Android or Apple. And the Apple Watch, I prefer the ecosystem how it communicates with my Apple devices so well. And owning the stainless model Apple Watch, it's premium with the hardware and the software works really well.

Reactions: raqball
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.