Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
I had an X- figure it was ideal

But The max is just stunning - my gf got it and i tried it and despite the modem complaints or whatever, i knew i had to have one

Barely bigger to the hand but much bigger to the eye

Yogi Berra is my hero

Reactions: yaboid01

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I currently have last years X,
Anyone with the X who bought the Max have an opinion?
How about anyone who had the plus going to max?
Its tough to decide if the extra screen size is worth carrying around.
Nahhhhh I got a plus phone since 2015????? So this is the same size as the plus phones (minus reaching the top right corner... that’s something I hope Apple addresses ASAP). I actually returned an xr because it felt too small.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Let’s put it this way. Coming from an X it takes a little getting used to. As far as one handed operation...unless your hands are large it’s hard to do. But that’s one of the sacrifices for an edge to edge screen

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have used plus size iPhones since 6+. I got the XS max and returned it for a XS. I just got tired of lugging around a large phone. I’m a guy and the phones are getting too big to comfortably carry in my pockets. The XS is perfect. It even fits easily in my shirt pocket. I only use my phone for email, texting and occasional web searches.

Reactions: yaboid01

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Went from 6S Plus to XS MAX. Almost the exact same size. No regrets.
[doublepost=1542038943][/doublepost]

Not sure I understand.
You have an 8+ but feel the Max won’t fit in a pocket? They are so close to same size it makes no difference. I just posted I went from 6S Plus to a Max. Compared the sizes, pretty much the same. No issues carrying it - shirt pocket, side pants pocket, back pants pocket (don’t sit on it!).
No. The 8+ had gotten too ‘big’ for me. Not a hands or physical limitation issue bu rather a preference. I wanted to go to a smaller phone. Took me a year to be sure but happy with the direction I went and enjoying my XS.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
No. The 8+ had gotten too ‘big’ for me. Not a hands or physical limitation issue bu rather a preference. I wanted to go to a smaller phone. Took me a year to be sure but happy with the direction I went and enjoying my XS.
Hey PBz
How’s the battery doing on XS? Can you tell big difference between that one and the XR you returned?
One more, any problems with signal? I still haven’t decided which way to go.... keep XR and search for smaller case or just do XS.

kushal11

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2017
Mumbai, India.
3G, 5, 7 and now the XS Max. My wife uses the X and I was absolutely sure I'm buying the normal XS. I went to the store, picked up the Max and I was immediately in love. I don't think it's a one handed device and weight is something I loathe on phones but the design on the XS just screams premium and I genuinely don't think the device is very heavy. That bigger screen is just something I'm in love with.

After a week's use, I no longer like the form factor of the iPhone X which my spouse uses. From a consumer's point of view even though I love the Max I'm glad Apple decided to keep size as the only difference between both phones.

This is again a very preference thing but if my opinion counts, I went to the store to decide on the colour for my iPhone XS and after my visit to the store, I just came home and ordered the XS Max in Silver on Amazon. Now, it's a month old and I am in love with my device. Very happy consumer!

Reactions: draa

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m in singtrogbt now and everyone has surf board style phones. I feel right at home with my Max.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple Xs MAX not intended or advertised as a one hand iPhone. Reachability is available for convenience. Overall Handsize has something to do with it.
But bottom line: it’s an immersive screen and good

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Apple Xs MAX not intended or advertised as a one hand iPhone. Reachability is available for convenience. Overall Handsize has something to do with it.
But bottom line: it’s an immersive screen and good
It really is. It’s a Joy to read and view content.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I just don’t understand Apple’s marketing approach: I’ve had an iPad for years. I do not need a monster phone.

Why wouldn’t they want me to keep buying TWO devices? If i bought the Monster phone, I wouldn’t need an iPad anymore.

C’mon Apple, make a good small phone. Not for these genetic freaks with large alien hands, just for us average folks. Anyone think they’ll keep the 7, with some upgrades?

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Those who have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey should recognize the black obelisk seen in several scenes as the mock-up of the 2019 iPhone 11. Dimensions: 2 meters x 4 meters x 0.5 meters

Reactions: jimmy_uk

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Yes. Too big for me. I could operate the 8plus with one hand, but not the Max
Better than me. I downsized from my 7 Plus to an XS. Not into aircraft carrier sized phones. I do like the dual-lens phone since framing a picture can be done with one hand. Single-lens ‘pinch-zoom’ requires two hands.

The XS fits my hand much better. If the SE camera could be operated one-handed, I would have bought it.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
So I brought back the XR I initially bought, because those bezels make the phone far too narrow for my tastes.

The screen was excellent, though. And the fit in hand (besides the lack of fit and finish concerning the back glass, which also finds it way onto the Max{seriously, for all the money they charge, the glass should feel more unibody).

I picked up a Max and have until the 27th to see how I feel about it.

Coming from Android, having all that screen real estate is a waste outside of audio/visual consumption.

But I'll quickly digress.

The phone feels big to me, and this is coming from a slightly larger 6S Plus. And, of course, it's because of all that screen.

I have slightly larger than average hands, though, so it feels excellent to use.... even one-handed.

That being said, I'll walk into an Apple store at some point and compare, once more, side by side.

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
C’mon Apple, make a good small phone. Not for these genetic freaks with large alien hands, just for us average folks. Anyone think they’ll keep the 7, with some upgrades?

Yes, personally I think they might. As the 6/7/8 design fades out, the range is definitely skewed toward very large phones. I would not be surprised to see a new 7 in the spirit of the SE. Re-use the old 7 chassis to take advantage of depreciated tooling (maybe move assembly to India - Apple strategically need to assemble something there, which used to be the SE), add the latest A-series chip (remember the SE launched with the A9 which at the time was the latest generation), leave out some features to cut costs and maintain differentiation of the top end phones (eg no wireless charging, a lesser camera), launch around March 2020 as the iPhone 8 starts to get long in the tooth....

Reactions: solarmon

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Point well taken. But who said the XS MAX is intended to be used by one hand??? Apple doesn't advertise it this way
Sure but I can easily use my 7plus one handed which is what I'm used to. For me personally the Max is pushing the limit of weight and is super fragile. Screen is stunning though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.