Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
iPhone 3G: "Twice as fast, for half the price"

iPhone 3GS: "The fastest, most powerful iPhone yet"

Apple certainly will market a new iPhone based upon speed alone. The A4 is a system-on-chip that is basically made up of the same components as the 3GS (except for additional RAM). The A5 has a more modern GPU and CPU. Now if only they cover up the antenna or something...

I said they won't sell the phone simply on a speed increase. An iPhone isn't a computer, they need new features to entice users to upgrade. Even if NFC is the only feature added, it's still an additional, marketable feature. The iPhone 3G had 3G and GPS. The 3GS had an improved camera, compass, voice control, etc.

There are probably not going to be any major changes in the iPhone 5, but it still has features that aren't being spoiled by the iPad 2 introduction.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think its incredible that people don't think the new A5 is a huge upgrade. I think people don't realize that the chips in the iPhone 4 are the same ones in the 3GS, and have reached end of life. The 3GS can still keep up, and can run all the new software, because it has the same chips, CPU and GPU, as the iPhone 4.

The next iPhone will get the new dual core processor, plus the new insane GPU graphics chip. To me, that means it will have enough power to be relevant for years. It has enough power to where it'll probably be running ios 7+ just fine. Thats longevity baby. Sorry that you iPhone 4 buyers bought some old tech, but dont try to minimize the significance.

Last edited:

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I think its incredible that people don't think the new A5 is a huge upgrade. I think people don't realize that the chips in the iPhone 4 are the same ones in the 3GS, and have reached end of life. The 3GS can still keep up, and can run all the new software, because it has the same ships, CPU and GPU, as the iPhone 4.

The next iPhone will get the new dual core processor, plus the new insane GPU graphics chip. To me, that means it will have enough power to be relevant for years. It has enough power to where it'll probably be running ios 7+ just fine. Thats longevity baby. Sorry that you iPhone 4 buyers bought some old tech, but dont try to minimize the significance.

Yeah but you will want to get the iPhone 6 next year with the faster 4G/LTE connection.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I think its incredible that people don't think the new A5 is a huge upgrade. I think people don't realize that the chips in the iPhone 4 are the same ones in the 3GS, and have reached end of life. The 3GS can still keep up, and can run all the new software, because it has the same chips, CPU and GPU, as the iPhone 4.

i agree 100% i am also hopeful for a 4" screen.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
i agree 100% i am also hopeful for a 4" screen.
Looking at the iPad 2, I'd like to see that same beveled back on the next iPhone and get rid of that square shape. From the looks of it, you could get a bigger screen that way as well. Much nicer form factor.

The second they introduce a shape like that on the iPhone, the clunky square iP4 will be an antique.

Eric374

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
Looking at the iPad 2, I'd like to see that same beveled back on the next iPhone and get rid of that square shape. From the looks of it, you could get a bigger screen that way as well. Much nicer form factor.

The second they introduce a shape like that on the iPhone, the clunky square iP4 will be an antique.

They have one already: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC555?mco=MjExNTI5MTM

Personally, I prefer the form that the iP4 has, it reminds me of my MacBook Pro.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
For me at least? Not really.

I don't really play games on my iPhone 4 and everything else it can do I find perfectly acceptable. I've never wanted it to really do anymore, so I'm fine with it as it is. Incremental bumps aside, which would be nice to have for sure, but not enough to make me go through the hassle of selling early 3rd party and going through all that nonsense.

Especially since I just did that going from ATT to VZW. :D

That being said, if the wife wants a iPhone, she'll be getting the 4 !

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
It will be thinner, lighter, faster. :D I always lol at Apple's marketing strategy.

Anyway, Samsung Galaxy S II will be my choice. The machine is insane! But maybe iOS 5 brings some widgets or a decent notification system. We'll see.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I've heard from someone who knows some person who is testing the iphone 5 prototype. It has a keyboard on it. It is likely the keyboard will not be present on the iphone 5 when it get launched.

So, the Iphone 5 is going to be:
Same design as the iphone 4 but it is some millimeters thinner, new antenna design; the three antenna's will be placed in the top right corner instead on the bottom like the iphone 4.

And of course: A next generation chipset.

No words on a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.