Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I dont understqand apple charges a premium for old tech. An 8800gt. I have an 8800GTX ULTA OC, that is probably at least 2 times as fast. IS this some sort of joke. The new nvidia are coming out in a couple of weeks and apple users are still stuck with an 8800gt. WOW Apples laptops and imacs are amazing and they are top of the line, same with ipods and iphone (pricey but worth it), but apple always had an issue with their powermac line. I really suggest apple to take some drastic measures. If apple was priced around other ps users with same graphic capabilites then I would buy one but my desktop is as nice and more powerful price per preformance ratio. I mean people wonder why apple only has about 5-6 percent is because of their pricing. Apple has to cut some corners (but not all) so that they can gain more marketshare. If apple stops using xeons and uses core 2 duo that will sahve off about 1000dollars. Then apple will be marketing to the general public and then sales increase. It is really not that hard apple!

You do know the 8800GT is a refresh on the G80 core, aptly called the G92. The 8800GTS and GTX from what I read are EOL. The performance of the GT is near par in certain situations. At higher resolutions the 8800 GTS, GTX, and Ultra from there larger frame buffer (graphics ram) are superior.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
3DMark06 8800 GT 512MB 9648

8800 Ultra 768MB
3DMark score 9648 11611

Mac users know nothing about video cards. What does this mean? This attributes anywhere from 40-110 frampers persecond faster. That is a lot. Please dont make up information just to support macpros ****** preformance. I see why many mac users are "devoted," many of you probably suffer from low selfesteem never had leadership when you were a kid and now for some odd reason are obsessed with Steve Jobs who is just making money off of you. It is kinda of sad, in a way, that many of you do not have lives. I mean these forums are great, but to be obessed with a computer lacking in technology, that is a complete different story. I am not a fan of computers because they are computers. They are not my friends and they are not what I think about everyday. But when I go into these forums I just see people obessed with computers it just feeds their lonliness. People this is a wake up call!

Made me lol irl. First of all, many mac users do know about video cards even more than before now since we can plug any card in and use with bootcamp. Second of all, there are a large amount of mac gamers who follow the GFX industry even if we can't get all those cards. I know Ultra is better than GT but tbh GTX or GTS are on par with GT since it's based on newer chipset and I know PC users are buying GT over GTX or GTS right now because it gives almost same performance with less price.

About the rest of the post, just lol :)

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
What is all this about? I just pruchased the New Mac Pro 2.8 8 core with the nvidia 8800GT, so what your saying is it wont work properly or not at all? WTF? I spent 3500+ on this machine and your saying this now?
:mad:
Your card will work just fine.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I have a question. I just purchased the new Mac Pro and chose the ATI option. Unfortunately the computer I needed to replace was not going to last long enough to wait 4-5 weeks. The problem is I will be using 3 monitors so need a 2nd card. I want to get a NVidea but will it work? Will it be a conflict with using two different cards and am I better of going with two ATI's or even two NVidea's?

loveturtle

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Florida
I'm mind boggled as to why so many people can't get the name right. Is it some inside joke no one let me in on or what?

it is NVIDIA not NVIDEA, it's not hard.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I'm mind boggled as to why so many people can't get the name right. Is it some inside joke no one let me in on or what?

it is NVIDIA not NVIDEA, it's not hard.

Probably because Nvidia is a daft name for a product!

It isn't a recognizable english word like Apple, or General Electric. It isn't an acronym like IBM or GMC.

In fact it's closest english match is video as in video card. But that would lead people to spell it Nvideo or Nvidea not Nvidia.

Besides who cares! No one gives a rat's a$$ about GPU card manufacturers except geeks anyway.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You do know the 8800GT is a refresh on the G80 core, aptly called the G92. The 8800GTS and GTX from what I read are EOL. The performance of the GT is near par in certain situations. At higher resolutions the 8800 GTS, GTX, and Ultra from there larger frame buffer (graphics ram) are superior.

Oh and don't forget the fillrate advantage.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Apple Chat I had

Interesting why its taking so long all of a sudden, before I never got this response.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 66

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
has anyone seen this entry in wikipedia under the 8800GT? Perhaps this has something to do with why the card is having problems in the older Mac Pros? I dont know what revision of PCIe they used.

Shortly after the release, an incompatibility issue with older PCI Express 1.0a motherboards was unmasked. When using the PCI Express 2.0 compliant 8800GT in motherboards with PCI Express 1.0a slots, the card would not produce any display image, but the computer would often boot (with the fan spinning at a constant 100%). Some mainboard (Motherboard) chipsets had a workaround, which was to re-flash the graphics card's bios with an older GEN1 BIOS (which effectively made it into a PCI Express 1.0 card, not being able to utilize the PCIE 2.0 functions. but since the card itself could not even utilize the full capacity of the regular PCIE 1.0 slots, there was no noticeable performance reduction). A workaround to this is to flash the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest version. The flashing of the BIOS, however, voided the warranties of most cards thus making it a less-than-optimum way of getting the card to work properly. In relation to this compatibility issue, the high numbers of DOA (Dead On Arrival - cards that are broken out of the box)(As much as 13-15%) were believed to be inaccurate. When it was revealed that the G92 8800GT and 8800GTS 512Mb were going to be designed with PCI Express 2.0 connections, NVIDIA claimed that all cards would have full Backwards-Compatibility, but they completely failed to mentioned that this was only true for PCI Express 1.1 motherboards.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
has anyone seen this entry in wikipedia under the 8800GT? Perhaps this has something to do with why the card is having problems in the older Mac Pros? I dont know what revision of PCIe they used.

Hmm, so if the Mac Pro (Gen 1) was only 1.0a compliant then that would be the problem. But I could of sworn it was at least 1.1 compliant.

Drosha

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Two possible scenarios?

1.) The nVIDIA PR guy had his head up is a$$ and we're never going to see 8800s for the old MPs.

2.) The nVIDIA PR guy did not have his head up his a$$, and the card's release is imminent to coincide with the release of 10.5.2.

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Official Announcement?

Has any company actually released a press release stating their intent to deliver an 8800 for the original Mac Pro? If I can't have the best video and the best OS, give me pretty good video.

Dying cards want to know...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Has any company actually released a press release stating their intent to deliver an 8800 for the original Mac Pro? If I can't have the best video and the best OS, give me pretty good video.

Dying cards want to know...

AFAIK, until Vista supports EFI you won't see too many IHV's offer the 8800GT's for Mac. If IHV's do offer it you will probably have to get them through Apple. Just not enough people to warrant it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
What the heck! I've been waiting forever for this card. I can't stand my 7300 and I'm not about to upgrade to the crappy ATI X1900 and I'm not going to upgrade my Mac Pro to an Octo-Core any time soon.

This pretty much sucks.

They gotta let us know!

lightwavejunkie

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Agreed, that would be nice to read.

For those that missed it here is a copy of the leter that was sent

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I have no doubt that this email will never get to you, however I am
writing in the vain hope that your assistant will bring this matter to
your attention.

Recently the new range of Mac Pros was announced by Apple, and fine
machines they are too. However, there are a significant number of
existing Mac Pro owners who have been patiently waiting for a long
long time now for an upgrade path for the graphics card (currently the
top of the line is a Radeon 1900XT which is well over a year out of
date - eons in graphics card terms).

I'm sure you can imagine how pleased we were when it was announced
that the new Mac Pros will have the option of an Nvidia 8800GT card,
and this was offered as an upgrade in the Apple Store. However, now
it has come to our attention that these cards will not work in older
Mac Pros (and by "old" I mean a machine purchased last week). The
fundamental reason for buying a Mac Pro aside from its power is that
it is the ONLY Apple machine that is expandable and upgradeable. Yet,
your company has decided to remove that option. I can assure you that
this has already had an impact on your sales. A brief look around the
'net has indicated that orders are being switched to PC workstations
because you have destroyed the confidence of potential Mac Pro buyers
by taking away the main reason we buy them.

Let me be very clear. There is utter disgust, disappointment and
contempt being expressed by the Mac Pro community for Apple right now.
Go into the Support>Discussions area on the Apple website and you
will see that the community is up-in-arms about the way we have been
treated. You have a serious revolt on your hands. Let me remind you
that we are your best customers. We spend many thousands of dollars
on our Mac Pro workstations, and yet we feel like your company cares
more about someone who spends a couple of hundred bucks on an iPod.

Mac Pro owners are the hardcore of your customer base -your power
users. We are the ones who have supported your company through the
leaner times, when the OS wasn't quite what it should have been, or
sales weren't so good. We use your machines in a professional
capacity and we make large orders for expensive equipment and
software. Well, no more. We won't be treated like second class
customers, at the back of the queue behind kids buying iPhones.

Do the right thing. We deserve better.

Sincerely,

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
For those that missed it here is a copy of the leter that was sent

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I have no doubt that this email will never get to you, however I am
writing in the vain hope that your assistant will bring this matter to
your attention.

Recently the new range of Mac Pros was announced by Apple, and fine
machines they are too. However, there are a significant number of
existing Mac Pro owners who have been patiently waiting for a long
long time now for an upgrade path for the graphics card (currently the
top of the line is a Radeon 1900XT which is well over a year out of
date - eons in graphics card terms).

I'm sure you can imagine how pleased we were when it was announced
that the new Mac Pros will have the option of an Nvidia 8800GT card,
and this was offered as an upgrade in the Apple Store. However, now
it has come to our attention that these cards will not work in older
Mac Pros (and by "old" I mean a machine purchased last week). The
fundamental reason for buying a Mac Pro aside from its power is that
it is the ONLY Apple machine that is expandable and upgradeable. Yet,
your company has decided to remove that option. I can assure you that
this has already had an impact on your sales. A brief look around the
'net has indicated that orders are being switched to PC workstations
because you have destroyed the confidence of potential Mac Pro buyers
by taking away the main reason we buy them.

Let me be very clear. There is utter disgust, disappointment and
contempt being expressed by the Mac Pro community for Apple right now.
Go into the Support>Discussions area on the Apple website and you
will see that the community is up-in-arms about the way we have been
treated. You have a serious revolt on your hands. Let me remind you
that we are your best customers. We spend many thousands of dollars
on our Mac Pro workstations, and yet we feel like your company cares
more about someone who spends a couple of hundred bucks on an iPod.

Mac Pro owners are the hardcore of your customer base -your power
users. We are the ones who have supported your company through the
leaner times, when the OS wasn't quite what it should have been, or
sales weren't so good. We use your machines in a professional
capacity and we make large orders for expensive equipment and
software. Well, no more. We won't be treated like second class
customers, at the back of the queue behind kids buying iPhones.

Do the right thing. We deserve better.

Sincerely,

Well said and professional sounding. I hope it causes an impact.

abacae

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
More Vaporware from Apple

Well said and professional sounding. I hope it causes an impact.

I totally agree with all of you complaining about the BS and vaporware that Apple gave us in late January. All nice and sweet about bringing out an alternative. What a lot of nonsense from Apple. They don't give a fart about Mac Pro users or really much about their install base. It is time to go back to the PC World where competition creates choice. Windows XP is not really that bad (no comment on Vista) and it offers a massive amount of alternatives (including Graphics cards) that Apple is hopeless (no kidding, really hopeless, it will never, ever have a shot) at providing.

--A disillusioned former PC addict now totally disillusioned by the Mac world---

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.