Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The $599 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card that Apple introduced on Monday represents a significantly improved graphics card now available to Mac users.

Previously, the best card available to Mac users was the ATI Radeon 9800 XT which adds $300 to the cost of a build-to-order PowerMac G5. The new GeForce 6800 adds another $150 to that cost, but delivers significant performance boosts.

Tom's Hardware provides a review of the PC version of the card. The card appears to represent a generational jump rather than an incremental upgrade:

NVIDIA has seemingly pulled out all stops in an attempt to deliver cutting edge graphics with its GeForce 6800 Ultra. After gamers for too long have had to be content with mere incremental improvements to graphics performance, NVIDIA new card delivers a performance jump not seen for a long time. The device is also solidly engineered as well as insanely fast.

The specially engineered Mac version of the card also provides support for Dual DVI connectors -- providing support for the new 30" Apple Display. In fact, it comes with two Dual DVI connectors, allowing users to drive two 30" Apple Displays.

Halo Benchmarks at Tom's Hardware.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I already changed my order when I came back from work today. But now the delivery date was pushed back from August, 2nd to third week of August. :(

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
mikeyredk said:
as of right now the mac as the best consumer graphics card.(period)

Well, it's not available until August, while the PC version is available in July.

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
Hmm... just noticed this. The Cdn apple store has this beauty up for only $560 cdn for students. Now THAT's a discount.

[Update]: 560 is just the upgrade price from the stock ATI. The retail is 779, so less awesome. Oh well. Time to start saving pennies.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Veldek said:
I hoped you would correct me by telling me why the Mac version is better. I obviously thought wrong.

three words

dual dvi link. pc versions don't have it only mac version

3G4N

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
3rd star to the right
mikeyredk said:
three words

dual dvi link. pc versions don't have it only mac version

---Duped from another DDL thread---

nVidia's QuadroFX line has Dual DVI Linking, and should be able to power the 30". PCs had it before Macs did.

"dual DVI digital connectors drive the highest resolution digital displays available on the market. Dual-link DVI connector drives QUXGA-wide displays via a single connector."
"up to 2048x1536 per display or 3840x2400 for a single digital display"

---

From what little I've seen (and understand) the 30" has only one DVI connector cable, so how are you going to hook it up to both DVI ports?
I am almost positively sure that the 3840x2400 res above can be driven
from one DVI port. Fess up Brent.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
3G4N said:
---Duped from another DDL thread---

nVidia's QuadroFX line has Dual DVI Linking, and should be able to power the 30". PCs had it before Macs did.

"dual DVI digital connectors drive the highest resolution digital displays available on the market. Dual-link DVI connector drives QUXGA-wide displays via a single connector."
"up to 2048x1536 per display or 3840x2400 for a single digital display"

---

From what little I've seen (and understand) the 30" has only one DVI connector cable, so how are you going to hook it up to both DVI ports?
I am almost positively sure that the 3840x2400 res above can be driven
from one DVI port. Fess up Brent.

Dual-Link means two sets of DVI pins in the connector.... so it doesnt need two cables. The card has two ports, or four DVI streams, supporting upto 2 30" monitors.

HyperX

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2004
Nieuwegein, Netherlands
So when is apple releasing HexaDVI capable of 10240*7680 to drive my 80" that will be released at Macworld Boston ;)

Personally I am waiting for Apple to Releaser the Imac G5 with Jumbotron.

(Sorry I needed the break the tension here... It couldn't be cut with a Ginsu!)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Installing 6800 in G5?

I was looking at pictures from the WWDC of a G5 with the 6800 Ultra installed. Is it possible to install it complimentary to another card (such as the Radeon 9600? What are all the ADC owners going to do if they want to get a 30" display?

Brent Turbo

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
Boston, MA
dguisinger said:
Brent,

No manufacturer would ever advertise a card capable of running two LCDs of x type if it couldn't do it at native resolution, they know they would be sued. That and besides the fact they had dual displays on display for public viewing, we know it works.

I had just never heard that they were running at full resolution. That's all I needed to know. I'm glad that it all worked out, despite the complete and utter misunderstanding over what "Dual Dual" meant. People thought I was saying that it didn't have dual link ports, or didn't have dual dual linke ports, or whatever. Too many duals in a row. I'm glad that it can do what they hint that it can do, that makes it an even greater product, which I was worried it would be crippled. For them to say "Runs at 2560 x 1600, or you can have two displays!" smacked of a marketing bait and switch, which is precisely the type of thing you'd expect from corporate America. Glad to see it wasn't.

Thanks,
B

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Brent Turbo said:
I had just never heard that they were running at full resolution. That's all I needed to know. I'm glad that it all worked out, despite the complete and utter misunderstanding over what "Dual Dual" meant. People thought I was saying that it didn't have dual link ports, or didn't have dual dual linke ports, or whatever. Too many duals in a row. I'm glad that it can do what they hint that it can do, that makes it an even greater product, which I was worried it would be crippled. For them to say "Runs at 2560 x 1600, or you can have two displays!" smacked of a marketing bait and switch, which is precisely the type of thing you'd expect from corporate America. Glad to see it wasn't.

Thanks,
B

Long (and repetitive) discussion about whether or not the GeForce 6800 can drive two 30" Monitors at full rez have been moved here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/77527/

The short answer is. Yes, it can.

arn

Brent Turbo

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
Boston, MA
http://home.sport.rr.com/mrmudbug/wwdc04/wwdc04-Pages/Image6.html

Just out of curiosity, on the dual 30" setup, all of the cables from each monitor's "breakout cable" are plugged into the back of the computer in some respect, however, one from each cable is bent down and going out of sight. What part of the cable is this? If you look at the other angles, you can see the firewire and usb portions are all plugged in...

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Brent Turbo said:

Just out of curiosity, on the dual 30" setup, all of the cables from each monitor's "breakout cable" are plugged into the back of the computer in some respect, however, one from each cable is bent down and going out of sight. What part of the cable is this? If you look at the other angles, you can see the firewire and usb portions are all plugged in...

Its the power cable that connects to a power brick under the desk.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Brent Turbo said:

Probably Power. According to the keynote. They go into a Power Brick which then plugs into the wall.

arn

Kingsfoil13

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
Troy, NY
One 30"? Think BIG!

StinkyBritches said:
Nice article here http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/

/me waits for PM G5 Rev.C with PCI Extreme slots, with TWO Nvidia 6800 Ultra (or newer) spanned with SLI, driving a 30" monitor. Just what I need for faster e-mail.

As far as I can see, two Ultras with SLI would drive FOUR 30" displays ... with the load on all four dynamically readjusted between the two cards.

Too bad you can't daisy-chain the Ultras indefinitely ... think X-grid in a GPU?

Or maybe I need to get rich first.

kothrush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Power??

Power Supply? Remember there is no ADC, so they need external Power source.

Brent Turbo said:

Migs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
Don't call it Frisco
greenmonsterman said:
also, are there any other organs that I could live without and possibly sell to afford a dual 30" setup?

Well, after my wife leaves me upon buying 2 30" monitors I can think of one organ that will not be needed for a bit.....

Don't know a about a market for it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.