NYC Thread: 3G issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MSUSpartan, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Hello, I thought that it might be a good idea to have a thread devoted to NYC users so we can discuss our network issues. Chicago users seems to be facing the same 3G issues so they might want to consider doing the same :)

Since Saturday night, over the last few days, I have not been able to access data on 3G at all. My phone defaulted to EDGE most of the time, but if I were to turn on Airplane mode and off, my phone will go to 3G. My phone right now shows 4 to 5 bars of 3G but it will not load any websites. I tested a call and it went through, how can that be?

If I were to switch to EDGE, the data network although slow is very reliable... this is the case whether I'm at work in Midtown or home in the Village. Is anyone else facing the same issues?

2. DrakeSavage macrumors newbie

I work in NYC and have had the same issues...its horrible..the app store doesnt load...aim doesnt sign on and it switches to edge constantly..i do not know what is going on but it is so annoying.....

3. randymac88 macrumors regular

Thanks for starting this thread! Was considering doing so myself but never got off my a** to do it. Anyway I've experienced similar problems, particularly since the update.

I live in the east village, and today, when switching on airplane mode and then off, it finds 3g, and then will actually give me much better speeds than I used to get pre-2.02. But then, it stops. And it every time i try to load a website, it just hangs. Then I reset the connection and it works again.

I moved uptown to my girlfriend's place on the Upper East Side / Yorkville, and it goes away again. But then another reset and I get again, faster data speeds than I used to get.

I don't know if there's some issue with switching towers or something, but clearly there's issues. Even before 2.02, I got significantly worse in the past week or so. Ugh!

4. DrakeSavage macrumors newbie

Yeah it is HORRIBLE...im glad i am not the only 1 experiencing this

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I have used the instore iPhones at the 5th Ave and Soho Apple Stores as well as my own iPhone 3G while in Manhattan and the speed SUCKS. It will not load anything omg.

This is really frustrating... the iPhone needs a MAJORRRRR FIX.

6. HaroldC macrumors regular

I ran the speed test in my office (42nd street across from Grand Central) this morning, after having updated to 2.0.2.

3G: 202 kbps

I just turned 3G back to off and went on with my day. I'm never using it until it gets faster, at least at&t's advertised speed, not the fictional superfast iPhone on the TV commercial.

7. Whitecloak macrumors newbie

I work in the city. I have been experiencing the same issues and worse. The last week and a half I've pretty much had to use edge to access the web in my iPhone as 3G loads incredibly slow or not at all!

Anything related also is not functioning. Weather and stocks updates, email access and app store are either ridiculously slow or are simply not updating at all. Also, I keep losing all signals entirely. At least twice a day I will not have ANY signal at all, edge or 3G, and I receive a message saying I'm not connected to the cellular network. I usually have to restart the phone a couple of times to regain service and then it's usually edge only.

Gonna visit my apple store Friday and see about swapping out my iPhone seeing as how I'm in the 2% of affected users. Also, my mobile me is not consistantly pushing emails any longer.

Not sure what happened, my phone worked flawlessly the first 2 weeks!

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Count me in with troubles in the NYC area. Hope apple and att find a fix soon. Or like apple said through a simple software update.

9. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Had no 3G in Manhattan yesterday. It's been very sporadic for a week now; I had called AT&T several days ago and they told me there was a "severely degraded service" bulletin out, so it was a widespread problem. Anyone have any news about a fix?

On the plus side, I was in Tribeca trying to find the right subway line and had gotten all turned around. Used my GPS to orient myself, and followed the bouncing blue ball for several blocks to the station. (I was using the Itrans app Google Map option). That was great.

Of course, battery was in the red zone at that point. I've ordered a battery charger because it's clear that a day in the city (I live in Brooklyn) will challenge my beloved if currently crippled 3G.:p

10. bigmouth macrumors 6502

The situation here is shockingly bad. I'm visiting from LA, where I've never had any problems with 3G either before or after introduction of the iPhone 3G. It must have something to do with the sheer number and concentration of iPhone 3G owners in the NY area because I've visited several times before and never experienced these kinds of network issues until iPhone 3G.

11. guitarliketom macrumors member

i was at yankee staidum last saturday and i COULD NOT sent texts on 3g, but on edge it worked fine. no idea why.

12. DrakeSavage macrumors newbie

bump.

same s**t diff day....

3G sucks again today (wed 8/20)..wanted to load up app store but NOTHING happened...

They seriously need to fix this..especially with AT&T charging an extra 10 bucks a month :mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. goodcow macrumors 6502a

My phone's data service has been totally f'ed for the past 2-3 days in NYC. On both 3G and Edge, but Edge usually works better.

HOWEVER... yesterday, on the train, my friend who just got an iPhone this week was able to browse fine on the N/W train. I was right next to him, trying to browse the same site and it wouldn't connect. Both on 3G, both the same bars.

I don't know if my launch phone's Infineon chip has fried or something, because it doesn't make sense that he'd get service next to me and I wouldn't.

Those of you having data issues in NYC, are you using launch phones?

14. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I'm in Central NJ (Princeton) and having the same issues. Sometimes I get realllllllly slow 3G speeds, even with 4 bars. But last night, around 9 PM, I couldn't even connect to 3G! My phone was showing the E in areas where I usually get 3-5 bars of 3G. Up until about 4 days ago, I was getting pretty good speeds (800 kb/s), so I think these recent problems may be AT&T network problems rather than iPhone problems.

15. xolan99 macrumors regular

16. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 1 launch day phone (8GB) and 1 phone (16GB W) that I had the Apple store replaced around 7/25.... both w/ issues....

My GF was just on the phone now and the call was dropped.... C'mon AT&T and Apple!!

17. Evev12 macrumors regular

HORRIFIC!!! And you'd think that NY of all cities would be the most saturated with service.

18. jax80 macrumors newbie

Live in hell's kitchen ..and work in tribeca.....issues in both places....I actually think it got worse after 2.0.2 ...but it could be a result of me being more neurotic about seeing if it works.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My iphone is showing 3-5 bars of 3G service indoors today but does not seem to be utilizing that service since I can't load any web pages. I'm in an office building in the union square area. It tends to work better outside which is where I'm more likely to need GPS and data services.

If I hadn't already bought this I would be holding off until this issue is resolved. However, now that I have it--its hard to give up.

My return date is coming up in a few weeks and I may just give my iphone back and sign up again when the hardware/software problems are fixed. I don't know though--its nice to catch up on TV episodes on the subway. sigh.

My phone was replaced last week so its relatively new.

20. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

thank god it's not just me, i'm glad someone started this thread, i was beginning to think i had a bad chipset but clearly it's just the network

anyone have any idea what's going on with att? is it just the iphone's 3g or are other phones suffering the same problems?

i just moved from verizon, so i'm not sure how att works here, i just assumed that in nyc att would have their **** together

work in flatiron: full 3g signal, but nothing works, i just turn it off and use edge
    live in ues: full 3g signal, works really slowly - like 200kbps
    i've been having this problem since sunday

21. drool6 macrumors newbie

Horrible 3G data speeds despite having 5 bars of 3G

Same here. Both my phone (16G Black) and wife's phone (16G White) are having horrible 3G data speeds despite having 4-5 bars of 3G service. This started last week before the 2.0.2 update and still is horrible. This is from the financial district. Can't even load the weather app nor get mail. 3G progress bar just goes round and round until it gives me a server stopped responding error.
    Prior to last week, was getting stellar data speeds at around 600kbps-1.2Mbps, according to testmyiphone.com.

When I go back home at night to Woodside in Queens, 50% of the time, I'll be able to get my normal speeds, 50% of the time no 3G data speeds at all. In Woodside I always have 5 Bars of 3G.

What the heck is going on?!

22. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

I live up in the northernmost tip of Manhattan, and my signal has definitely gotten worse despite not doing anything significant to my phone--things were fine for a while even after upgrading to 2.0.1. Now I'm dropping to EDGE and it doesn't seem to want to reconnect to 3G unless I reset or turn Airplane Mode on and off.

But as nfg315 said, it's really looking like the network is to blame for all this. Unless our 3G chips are all slowly rotting away... :p

23. gowanis macrumors 6502

I thought the bars represented your "voice" signal, and the 3G or E means either you have some data signal or not, but there was no way to know the exact strength of the data connection. Can anyone clarify?

I'm in Jersey City right across the river and I have 5 bars but my EDGE data is practically dead (30 kbps if i'm lucky). No problems making calls however.

24. wexford macrumors member

i work in midtown, live in astoria.

since updating to 2.0.2, i'm actually having EDGE issues. i have 5 bars all of the time (with the E), but the data has been going out intermittently. restart of the iphone doesn't help. if i jump on wifi, it's fine. if i jump on 3G, it's fine.

granted, i'm hardly on 3G, but when i am, my data service seems to be okay. 2 or 3 bars in the office, 5 outside in midtown or queens, and 2/3 bars in my apt in queens.

anybody else with edge issues since updating?

25. demiurgical macrumors member

Same problem here. I work on Hudson Street by Houston. I'm lucky I get Edge and that it actually works. Walk over to Varick St and it seems better. At home in Queens it seems to work fine.