O god... AT&T. Changing Data plans again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Feb 2, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117877

AT&T is changing the data plan on Feb 13th for existing and new customers who want to tether their smart phones.

1. Data Pro=2GB for 25 dollars. 10 dollars additional charge per GB (Stays Same)
    2. Data Pro + tethering = 2GB for 45 dollars will be axed.
    3. 4GB data plan= The user will pay 45 dollars a month and get 4GB data per months and they will be able to use it anyway they want. They can tether or use it on their smart phones.

Better than what they had before, but it still sucks.

The first smartphone will be eligible for this plan is HTC inspire 4G, but you can safely assume iPhone 4 users will be eligible when apple releases iOS 4.3 on iOS devices.

2. 0815 macrumors 68000

data plans are never made for a life time - they naturally keep changing - they will keep charging as much as they can and as long as they find enough subscribers willing to pay (and the competition does not drop the price drastically)

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Their plans blow compare to other carriers. AT&T must think that they still have iPhone exclusivity. As soon as Verizon gets LTE iphone, I am a goner.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So your thread title basically boils down to: "Oh no, something's improving" more or less?

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm wondering when AT&T will axe the unlimited plans for all the people who were grandfathered in. Would be stupid on their part to do so but I wouldn't put it past them.

6. 0815 macrumors 68000

Enjoy ... and yes, this is the right decision. If you think other plans/carriers offer better prices for you needs. This is the only way they will further adjust plans, when they see many many people leaving.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

This still doesn't fix the problem that my mobile data and tethering data come out of one pool.

8. jplusc macrumors 6502a

While I think that the average of $11/GB is still a little steep I think that the $45/4GB use it however you want plan is a step in the right direction. I would just like to see these come down in price by $10 or so. I think $35/4GB use it how you want plan would be very nice. I think this will happen in time though.

9. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    But won't that be better now? Let's say you only tether 500 MB one month, but use your iPhone's data for 3 GB. Instead of having an overage in your phone's data plan, doesn't this now mean that you'll not be charged the overage?

(I'm on the grandfathered plan, so forgive me if I don't understand the intricacies of the current AT&T tethering option.)

10. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

They SHOULD come out of one pool. You should be able to use your allotment any way you want if you're paying for it.

For all the people complaining about these new plans, I don't know WTF you're talking about. AT&T just gave you 2GB more data for the same price they were charging before!

11. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

It's definitely better. I'm on the unlimited plan too, that just rubs me the wrong way.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If they do that, it gives customers like me an out to cancel the contract. Yes it would be stupid to axe.

13. a.jfred macrumors 6502

There would be very few times I'd use tethering, so I'm not so interested in that as most; I just want to know that my current unlimited data plan will stay (until I opt to change it).

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

As an iP4 user, and an iPad owner(3G w/ 2gb plan) this appealing to just turn the hotspot on my iP4 on, and tether my Ipad for the 2gb that way....the only thing is, I'd lose my unlimited on my iP4, which would suck, but I'm on wifi a ton anyway, hmmmmm...

Anyone else in my boat/mindset?

15. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

For those who routinely use less than 2GB of data on their phone but still want to tether, this could potentially be a better deal than Verizon:

Verizon:
    $30/mo Unlimited Data on phone
    $20/mo for 2GB of tethering data
    $50/mo TOTAL

AT&T
    $25/mo DataPro 2GB
    $20/mo Tethering 2GB
    $45/mo TOTAL 4GB

This is assuming the 4GB on AT&T is a shared pool for both the phone and tethering. So if I only use about 500MB of tethering data per month, then I actually get 3.5GB of phone data. Or visa-versa if you actually use tethering more than phone data.

Still not ideal, but all other things considered, it might make me consider an AT&T iPhone over the Verizon now. AT&T is faster and has simultaneous voice/data. Unless you live in an area where AT&T stinks OR if you really need Unlimited data on the phone... decisions decisions.

16. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yes, that makes great sense, especially if you have more than one other device that also might use the tethering.

Right now:
    $30/mo Unlimited data
    $25/mo iPad DataPro
    $55/mo TOTAL

New plan:
    $45/mo for 4GB of data for phone and tethering
    And you could always add an additional 1GB of data for $10/mo and still break even.

The only way it wouldn't make sense is if you routinely use way more than 2GB of data on your phone or iPad. On my iPad, I rarely use more than 1GB/mo. And on my phone, I average about 1-2GB/mo so this new plan would probably be perfect for me!

But I was going to pre-order the Verizon iPhone tomorrow morning.....

17. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I still have my unlimited data plan, and have a wifi iPad. When I first got the iPad, I jailbroke my 3GS and used MyWi, but haven't ever jailbroken my iPhone 4. This new plan is rather tempting to me. Just $15 more per month to be able to legitimately tether my ipad to my iphone. I'm just not sure if it worth giving up my unlimited plan. I don't think I have ever even gone over 2GB, even when I was tethering, but I love the freedom of unlimited.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Summer 2012

19. gta50419 macrumors 6502

so wait, they're getting rid of the $15 data plan?

20. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

See, I never use more than 2GB on my phone, I just always liked the idea of having unlimited, in case I needed it....

curious, is verizon coverage better by you, thus why you're preordering tomorrow?? hahaha, get up early my friend! :p

Same thing, read above this quote :). This is something as an AT&T customer I might be down for...

21. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Or, just do like most of us here grandfathered on unlimited data, and use MyWi

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why pay $20 when you can get TetherMe (CommCenter hack) for $2.99. Come iPhone OS 4.3 the CommCenter hack would allow the Hotspot feature.

23. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'll say it like this AT&T is going more for appeasement than for the happiness of there customers.

24. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Because that is stealing. Some people on here actually have morals and know wrong from right.

25. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

This is what is wrong with this country...

So, people are advising that using miwi is a solution? Jailbreaking and using your phone? That's stealing. You may continue to do what you wish with your device, but telling others to use that method instead of asking carriers to be more comptetitive is juts plain stupid. If you ever get caught, the carrier will remove your line and kick you out. So, that's not a solution.