O, I am disappointed Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Mar 12, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

After 8 days of owning a lovely MacBook Pro, I had to get it replaced today! The last few days it went all strange, and started to take a very long time to boot up!

I did all the usual stuff, booting up from disk, repairing, you name it!

I took it to the Apple store, walked out 15 mins later with a brand new one! Good support, but a little upset with the original mac I had :(

Wish I bought Time Capsule, I lost all my songs which I put on my mac from my iPhone, then deleted all my songs from my iPhone then it all went bad few hours later! Apple could not save my data! So I'm kicking myself now. Just ordered a 1TB capsule! Will back up all my data ASAP when I get it!

I own a i7 2.2GHz, 8GB, 750GB HDD... It's the first I went mac last week. So I'm happy with the support, a little upset with what happened with a £2000 laptop in the first week! But it all got fixed within 15-20 mins!

Just thought I'd put my experience on here.. no hate ! :cool:

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry to hear your misfortune ... IMO Time Machine is the #1 priority for any Mac.

Nice that you are not too sour though ... chances are it will be smooth sailing from here on.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

15-20 minutes and you come out with a brand new macbook. There will always be a few manufacturing problems, must have just been unlucky. How people complain about Apple service is beyond me, its always first class for me and you obviously.

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear everything got sorted, can you imagine what would have happened had it have been Dell or some other PC laptop that went sideways? Do you suppose you would have been able to bring it to a brick and mortar and walk out with a new one? Its a shame that your MBP died at all but as we know with electronics, things happen.

5. apd macrumors member

Without wishing to sound like a fanboy - can you name me one other company who have a shop you can walk into and replace a £2k laptop with practically no questions asked. It is bad that you lost your songs but you will never not backup again! Even the best equipment goes wrong occasionally;)

6. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Exactly, good service. I know that if anything happens in the next 3 years it will be sorted =)

Thanks for the replies ! :) Time to kick up with some classic Rome Total War !

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Bummer about the music, but glad Apple took care of the bigger issue (and you)!

8. David-fr macrumors 6502

If you got your songs from iTunes you can contact iTunes support and they will re-send the downloads to your account. Make sure you tell them how/why you lost them. Same thing happened to me few months ago and i got my 900.00$ library back in 2 emails :D

9. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Being a nooby PC user, I never used to back up, and iTunes kindly let me re-download all my music/movies a total of 3 times... they will no longer allow me to re-download it all. My whole movies/tv shows/music comes to a total of £511.21 over the last few years I've been using it. But it's not an issue. I will keep emailing them until they give in! ;) :p

10. apd macrumors member

Blimey - some people just will not learn!!!!! Enjoy backing up from now on! No need for a time capsule (you might need some spare money to buy all those tracks again!:D) Just get yourself a 1TB drive (£75) and a USB / firewire enclosure (£30 ish)

11. David-fr macrumors 6502

Is so easy to back up! If is a desktop leave your drive connected to the machine and it does it's self.

for a MBP connected every 2 days back up so Easy! :'(

12. hammie14 macrumors regular

hammie14

I had a problem with me brand new MPB 2.3 15"

Took it back to the apple store and was replaced in a matter of 5 mins! Excellent service but as you say should this be the case with a £2150 laptop!

Anyway this one seems fine at the moment! :D

b.t.w which store did you return it too?

13. David-fr macrumors 6502

Did they had 2.3 ghz in stock?

14. DRPTHPHN macrumors member

I am going to the apple store and get mine replaced on Monday hopefully. Did you buy yours online? Did you take the box and packaging with you?

15. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Bristol. UK.

A 1 TB for £75!? They are £230 here in the UK.. I just bought one of eBay for £180.00! :eek:
    What is a USB/Firewire enclouse? I need one of those to back up?

16. apd macrumors member

I am in London - £180 sounds rather expensive for a 1Tb data drive (you don't need 7200rpm for that. Yoyotech, for example, has a Scorpio Blue 1Tb 5200 8Mb cache for £72+VAT)

The point of the enclosure is that you don't need to buy a time machine - a big hard drive and an external SATA drive enclosure (via firewire or USB) work just fine.

17. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

i use this for under £50, not to be sniffed at (although i paid £44 at the time)
    http://amzn.to/fir7zr

18. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Ahh, I thought you meant a 1TB Time Capsule for £75.00 :eek:

Okay, yeah I'll go for the capsule. I'm a sucker for Apple products now.

19. DRPTHPHN macrumors member

did you take the box and packaging to the store with you? did you originally buy it online? Gonna take mine to a store on Monday see.

20. apd macrumors member

I look forward to that day! Perhaps after the pound is re-based!!!!!

Aren't we all!:eek:

21. eaf7s macrumors regular

The Bristol shop is great--always exceedingly helpful, even with my American products :D

That's my favorite thing about customer service from Apple. No matter if I'm in the US or UK (I split my time evenly, but am American for the record :p ), as long as it's under AppleCare, they will treat the situation exactly the same, regardless of the product. Although if something happened to my US iPhone (I use it in airplane mode here) I guess they couldn't do anything for me as it's locked to ATT.

22. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

As said in PM. (Just if other people are wondering, I'll make it public..)

You do need to take the box and all it's contents, they will replace it all.

I didn't, I only took the laptop... but I have to take in the box on Sunday/Monday with Charger, cd's, etc.

So best to be safe =)

23. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

What are you USA"sers" doing in our UK apple stores!? :eek:

Let me guess, you work in flights? ;)

24. eaf7s macrumors regular

Nope! I study at Bristol Uni :) Umm...but one of my housemates is an aerospace engineer! ;)

And we come over here to gloat about how our computers are 35% cheaper than yours...not to mention the 25% discount I get because my boyfriend works for Apple haha...sorry, that was just cruel. All of my friends here actually really resent me for it.

25. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'm sure all UK apple lovers can side with me on this one.

Dam bloody Americans! :mad: :p