O-Ring fell out

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jav6454, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hello people,

Quick question. The digital crown started acting up on me (becoming stiff). I read online to pour luke-warm water and turn the crown to get rid of "gunk". Did that and the crown did in fact become smoother. Fast forward a few days later same issue and same fix (at this point I'm starting to become annoyed at this recurrence).

After 4 or so water passess I was at work when I noticed a bit of rubber sticking out of the digital crown (space area between the watch and the crown head). I pulled on it and an entire O-ring came out. I looked it up on iFix it (given their teardowns) and this O-Ring is the one between the crown head and the watch.

My question is: Is this normal? If not, has it happened to you?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Normal? No, but it happens.

Happened to me? Nope.

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Next question, should I get it replaced. As I understand from the design specs, it means that I can longer use the digital crown when the watch is under water or when water is being poured over it.

4. Newtons Apple, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would think it would compromise the water resistance and get it replaced before you give it another bath.

I have read a few, very few, other posts that had this rubber gasket come out.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's the first I've heard of this happening with the Apple Watch. I agree with Newtons Apple, I would not subject it to any water and have it replaced with a new seal. I'm not entirely sure what that would cost with Apple.

6. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Apple doesn't carry replacement watches at their Apple stores. Apple would either have to send out your Watch for repair (Which is most likely what they would do) or send a warranty device. If it's only replacing an O-ring seal, then the turnaround process should be rather quick for repair.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member