o2 customer - why so long to move number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, Nov 9, 2007.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

I've always been an o2 contract customer, so why is going to take 5 days for my number to move?

Could it be that I was a high street customer and you have to be online now?

Cheers

2. cblackburn macrumors regular

Thats complete bollocks. It took all of 30-40 seconds to transfer my number across. Completely PAC less also, just enter your old number and away you go.

Chris

3. wrboyce macrumors 6502

4. Project macrumors 68020

5. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

you have my sympathy, that rally sucks. I had an online O2 contract and my number went onto my iPhone in under a minute.

6. ne0star macrumors regular

It ported my number instantly as well, and about 3 hours later my old sim card deactivated.

I have to say well done to O2 for making the process very simple.

7. scotty91 macrumors newbie

:(
    Mine transferred quickly too, so that sucks a bit.
    Can't get EDGE in my area, but the speed of GPRS is really good compared to my old phone.

8. Stonie24 macrumors newbie

been with O2 for 2.5 years on corp account

it all started last night around 23:45 with a simple "just activate with an additional plan and call this special number in the morning and they will be able to port your number over. should only take a few hours". happy sucker I am, set my alarm for 8am and dreamt of all the ways i'd make my non-iphone carrying friends jealous!!!

fast forward to today and apparently i have to wait till monday to speak to our "dedicated" corp team then it will take up to 5 days to transfer my number.

well at least thats what the last of the 6 people I spoke to told me.

UTTER COMPLETE BOLLOCKS!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. EnderXi macrumors newbie

I went through the activation last night, put my old number into the itunes screen followed it all through and 30 seconds later my number was on my iphone, this morning my old phone displays "Inactive Sim" so thats all good everything is transferred over and im happy as a pig in well you know what.

If someone is telling you 5 days thats a worse case scenario mine was ALOT quicker than that.

10. filipx macrumors newbie

Are you already on O2?
    I think 5 days applies if you are moving providers ...
    Mine is gonna take 7 days..

11. harrinp1 macrumors member

My current phone number is with Tesco mobile which is on O2 network but Ive still been quoted 7 days :(

12. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's up to 5 days if you've been with o2 a while as you'll be on an older billing system. I'm in the same boat as I had a staff account and all staff accounts used the old system. 5 days is really the worst case scenario - and at least you get a temporary number until then.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm with O2 retail and it only took about half an hour. Turning the phone on and off helped.

14. nebsta macrumors member

Carphonewarehouse states that existing O2 customer transfers take 5 days but it only took me a few seconds to transfer.

15. LastLine macrumors 65816

Mine was instant. I was very impressed, that said I'm an O2 O2 customer, not a CPW O2 customer which probably makes the difference.

16. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hmm, I am currently on O2 pay go and have transferred my number to my new iphone but it still hasn't transferred over :( Was there anything other than typing the pin number in that I was supposed to do [ie turn old phone off??]

17. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Nah just wait there's nothing else you can do. Mine's actually transferred over now - so took about 18 hours for moving from staff account to my new iPhone. No complaints here though - loving it. Really don't know how people can moan about it.

18. joe8232 macrumors regular

Thanks for the reassurance Leemo. I am really enjoying my iphone so far as well!

Did you get any confirmation from O2 to tell you that the number transfer had gone through?

19. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I think you're supposed to get a text but I haven't had one yet. My old phone just came up saying sim card rejected - then my iPhone lost service for about ten minutes. After that my old number was on it! I did have to rerecord my visual voicemail greeting - but I expected that anyway.

20. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Same experience for me. O2 are very frustrating people to deal with.

21. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

So I phoned 02 and they seemed fairly helpful, even using the phrase "known issue" at one point. He pointed me to a page on the o2 site to fill in the issue.

Got an email with a couple of hours of doing that saying my *Orange* number would be moved in the next 5 days - I've never been with Orange!!!

Love :apple:, Hate 02

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It took a week to move my Orange Contract number to PAYG on O2 in August on my 6230i, I expect there are a lot more people moving numbers now as the iPhone is pretty big.

23. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I retract the last comment, my number has now moved. HURRAH!

Thanks Apple and 02.

24. pittster macrumors regular

UK CPW/O2 members

I naively assumed that being a current O2 customer through The Carphonewarehouse meant that my phone number would be ported across to the iPhone quickly (like all the O2 customers).

I entered in the generic PAC number (that was given to me by the CPW in the shop) whilst registering on iTunes, and received an email saying it may take up to 5 business days to port across.
    As yet still on the temp number on the iPhone.

Was wondering if any O2/CPW members have already had their number ported across yet?

25. Pendra Mwnagl macrumors newbie