O2 iPhone hype?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by draperm25, Oct 2, 2007.

1. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Hi All,

When the iPhone is released on O2 in November 9th, will it have the same hype as in America, i.e.
    1. Long ques outside stores for hours before they will sell it.
    2. What time do you think they will start selling it, will it be 6pm like america? (As most of the o2 stores and CPW stores close at 5pm.)
    3. Will they have enough staff to cope with the demand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r60HL9UOWk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vf9wUlfmOo

2. sananda macrumors 68020

who knows? i'll be interested to see what does happen. could be the same feverish experience as the US or it could be quite quiet.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

1 - Yes.
    2 - Normal opening hours - at least at O2.
    3 - Yes.

-Leemo

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Queues at the Apple store maybe, but I can't see the same behaviour over here. I'm going to pop to Wimbledon on my lunch break and pick up one then, either from one of the two CPW stores or the O2 store. If there's non in stock I'll just order it direct from Apple...

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Don't forget that the price will drop after initial demand diminishes

;)

6. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

I'm amazed that there is nothing in 02 / Carphone Warehouse store windows promoting the iPhone. You would think after all the waiting they would want to make a big deal about it!

7. sananda macrumors 68020

how's that iphone working out for you on virgin?

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There might be a few saddos outside the Apple stores, I can't see there being the same hysteria as the US launch over here though.

I don't know a single person who is going to get one.

9. Bongolo macrumors regular

My local O2 store said they'll open @ 5 or 6 Am and recommended getting there early!! :confused:

10. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Glasgow people were very calm when the Apple store in Glasgow had a grand opening. I guess same thing will be happened on the day iPhone out.

Well.... at least in the city centre, there are a number of O2 and CPW shops so I wouldn't expect any crazy queuing here.

I could be wrong. :D

11. joe8232 macrumors regular

I went into my local Carphone Warehouse the other day an the chap told me that it was 'going to be big; really big'. I think not somehow. It is only a mobile phone after all.

12. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

i really cant see it happening

no one i know even knows about the iphone

and i doubt really care, seeing as you have to pay for a contract phone

which is a bit ridiculous, as the most you ever pay for a contract phone here is like £30:eek:

its going to be really funny if the iphone is a flop here

13. casjohnr macrumors regular

I am hoping to visit Meadowhall Apple after work on Friday when it comes out and pick one up.

But who knows

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Like the ipod touch is only an ipod.

You can't get one in Manchester right now. (though that's sure to change day-by-day, just like the iphone stock on launch).

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Is anyone going to actually attempt to buy the carphone warehouse?

Seriously, their staff are morons, I went in the other week asking about the iPhone, if they'll have demos at their store etc and the guy just started talking about his nokia N95, saying how much better it is and how the iPhone is a rip off

So I popped along to the O2 store...

When i bought my first phone they tried to persuade me to go pay monthly, i was 12, morons the lot of them...

16. sananda macrumors 68020

not me, i just haven't got enough money to be buying a large chain of shops.

17. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Yeah but things are different with the iPhone, as you activate on iTunes rather than in store, your time with these 'morons' will be minimal.

I think you will walk up to the counter say, one iPhone please, they will say £269 please, pay them, then walk out the store. Simple.

18. sananda macrumors 68020

i once got a phone there. almost immediately it developed a fault. instead of replacing it, they insisted on a repair. they gave me a huge phone to use in the meanwhile. the size of dom joly's phone. luckily work lent me a more pocket sized phone. it took three months to repair the phone. i vowed i would never get anything from carphone warehouse again.

19. ibanana macrumors 6502

completely agree, staff are real d!ckheads and rude and....yes..really really useless. I will definitely avoid these stores (same apply to phone4u).
    I reckon i'll go to the o2 stores in the city at lunch time, but who knows, i might queue early morning, it depends what time they decide to release the thing.

20. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

They are pretty crap with replace/refund/repairing phones, but I guess things are different with the iPhone, you have a few options if things go wrong, I am guessing you will be able to take it back to an O2 store too, and then there is apple stores (if you can get to one) or apple care over the phone.

21. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I hope their is no long queues but only so I can get mine quick! To say no one knows about it is wrong, why such the negative views?
    if you don't care for one don't buy it but I have been waiting for this since January. I'm going to enjoy the countdown, the ads will soon be on the TV, the posters up in the shops the hype will build and they will sell in their thousands.
    just over five weeks to go........................

22. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Fantastic! It's quite a relief to not be worrying about 'to queue or not to queue on 9th November. I'll be reading MacRumors from my iPhone :)

23. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

so yogamonkey you will be able to tell us - is it worth the hype??????????

24. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

Ahum, i also have an iPhone in the UK, running on O2:p

25. Hustle macrumors 6502a

The iPhone hype will not be as big as it is in the USA. Hardly anyone in the UK is going to buy an iPhone. Only the Apple nerds. A normal persons not going to pay £270 for a phone and £35 month for a crap tarrif.

The iPhone will be rarelly seen in the UK. There will be a short cue on the 9th November, but after that day, the iPhone will be in stock everywhere.

I'm getting one on the 10th. Save me waiting 5 minutes in the cue, for the 'thousands' waiting to get one.